garf bag o bugs

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of this; but after taking my tank fallow to get rid of ich I worry about accidentally adding it via something like this.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much view aiptasia as inevitable. I stay on top of it, nuke any that I see within a day or two of spotting them but never really think there will be a time without them. I've got two slated for execution tomorrow. That'll put me back to zero, but I'm sure there is one watching from shadows.
Hah execution nice.
Well in my 120 I have none but I do have curyq's but they are actually looking kinda cool they are getting big but they are stripped and seem to be living peacefully next to alot of my corals I zap the ones really close.
Now the 30 is crazy infested I added 6 Berghia Nudibranchs so we will see in a month or so if that helps but the tank is like on cruise control so other then that it's just my personal choice I guess for the rock. The rbta's are splitting and I don't want to put any in the 120 for fear of the aiptasia spreading

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah execution nice.
Well in my 120 I have none but I do have curyq's but they are actually looking kinda cool they are getting big but they are stripped and seem to be living peacefully next to alot of my corals I zap the ones really close.
Now the 30 is crazy infested I added 6 Berghia Nudibranchs so we will see in a month or so if that helps but the tank is like on cruise control so other then that it's just my personal choice I guess for the rock. The rbta's are splitting and I don't want to put any in the 120 for fear of the aiptasia spreading
I have no doubt I've nuked a couple curlycue in this process but I don't trust any anenome that I didn't put in there. That is the one area of diversity I just don't tolerate.

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys end up buying the bag o bugs? Would you recommend it? I was thinking about it myself or ipsf not sure yet, but wanted to see what you guys got.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They never did respond back to me and I forgot about it. Hmm I will have to send another email

OP
OP
J

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I received my bag yesterday. At least a couple dozen worms, probably fifteen or so mini brittle stars and a couple of things not sure what they are. Most of the pods arrived doa but I wasn't to concerned about them. Came as two big bags filled with cheato and water. I picked through the cheato and threw what I liked into my dt and put the cheato into a qt to see what else comes out. I didn't see anything bad and would say it came as advertised.

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I received my bag yesterday. At least a couple dozen worms, probably fifteen or so mini brittle stars and a couple of things not sure what they are. Most of the pods arrived doa but I wasn't to concerned about them. Came as two big bags filled with cheato and water. I picked through the cheato and threw what I liked into my dt and put the cheato into a qt to see what else comes out. I didn't see anything bad and would say it came as advertised.
So far do you think it was worth it?

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the bag o bugs and grunge from them in the past. The grunge was the better value, imo. But, it's not something you want to add to your display. Lots of random junk in it. The bag o bugs was mostly dead bugs and dirty chaeto.

I've also bought through IPSF- much better experience. Everything was clean and alive.

Another option would be real live rock from kp aquatics or Tampa Bay saltwater. Had great experiences buying from both.

Last edited:

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from garf many times in the past and had great success with them. As others have said, they are NOT high tech, so be patient. You'll have better luck calling them tbh. Their website has always been a bit odd, so don't let that worry you too much. While I've never bought the bag o' bugs, I've ordered a lot of stuff from them and liked everything I received. The grunge was fantastic for a 75 dt that I had at that point.

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the bag o bugs and grunge from them in the past. The grunge was the better value, imo. But, it's not something you want to add to your display. Lots of random junk in it. The bag o bugs was mostly dead bugs and dirty chaeto.

I've also bought through IPSF- much better experience. Everything was clean and alive.

Another option would be real live rock from kp aquatics or Tampa Bay saltwater. Had great experiences buying from both.
I ordered from garf many times in the past and had great success with them. As others have said, they are NOT high tech, so be patient. You'll have better luck calling them tbh. Their website has always been a bit odd, so don't let that worry you too much. While I've never bought the bag o' bugs, I've ordered a lot of stuff from them and liked everything I received. The grunge was fantastic for a 75 dt that I had at that point.
So you guys would recommend the grunge over the bag o bugs?

NR53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Different purposes. Grunge is mostly sand and sludge with the purpose of introducing bacteria biodiversity rather than critters. For me it did wonders in getting my tank balanced during the initial setup. Bottled bacteria wasn't cutting it and I was having all sorts of problems.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back