GarrettT's 192 gallon SPS

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like always, I tend to start a build thread after majority of the labor is complete. Originally, I had no intentions of building a thread, however after seeing some of the progress, I can't help but document the build. It's turning out much nicer than I had intended it to be. I always enjoy input from the community, because frankly I still have much to learn. I do believe many can learn from my mistakes as well. There are many things I wish I had known prior to starting. I will try and document my failures as I go along. I still have many weeks to go, however I thought I would begin the build progress while the tank is being made. The thread will start slow, but should pick up rather quickly.

The setup:

Miracles Aquariums 54''x33''x25'' (192 gallon) - External overflow
Miracles sump 36''x18''x19'' (50 gallon short)
Stand - DIY copycat of Planet Aquariums
Lighting
- Main - 2x 400w Cozumel Sun large mogul reflectors - IceCap selectable ballast - 14k Hamilton bulbs
- Supplemental - 2x OR3 Blue Plus bars and 2x dimmable retrofit T5HO bulbs
External return - Panworld 100PX-X
Skimmer - Lifereef 24'' in sump w/ Fluval SP4 pump
Powerheads - 2x Vortech MP40QD
Controller - Apex EL, VDM, I/O Breakout box
Water storage - 2x 40 gallon Norwesco storage tanks for Kalk and RO water
AWC - Gamma2 Vittles Vault 80lbs Container (undecided on pump - likely Spectrapure)
ATO - Tunze 3155 Osmolator with a G7 Litermeter pump
Live rock - 20lbs KP Aquatics / remaining Reef saver rock

More to come!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like always, I tend to start a build thread after majority of the labor is complete. Originally, I had no intentions of building a thread, however after seeing some of the progress, I can't help but document the build. It's turning out much nicer than I had intended it to be. I always enjoy input from the community, because frankly I still have much to learn. I do believe many can learn from my mistakes as well. There are many things I wish I had known prior to starting. I will try and document my failures as I go along. I still have many weeks to go, however I thought I would begin the build progress while the tank is being made. The thread will start slow, but should pick up rather quickly.

The setup:

Miracles Aquariums 54''x33''x25'' (192 gallon) - External overflow
Miracles sump 36''x18''x19'' (50 gallon short)
Stand - DIY copycat of Planet Aquariums
Lighting
- Main - 2x 400w Cozumel Sun large mogul reflectors - IceCap selectable ballast - 14k Hamilton bulbs
- Supplemental - 2x OR3 Blue Plus bars and 2x dimmable retrofit T5HO bulbs
External return - Panworld 100PX-X
Skimmer - Lifereef 24'' in sump w/ Fluval SP4 pump
Powerheads - 2x Vortech MP40QD
Controller - Apex EL, VDM, I/O Breakout box
Water storage - 2x 40 gallon Norwesco storage tanks for Kalk and RO water
AWC - Gamma2 Vittles Vault 80lbs Container (undecided on pump - likely Spectrapure)
ATO - Tunze 3155 Osmolator with a G7 Litermeter pump
Live rock - 20lbs KP Aquatics / remaining Reef saver rock

More to come!
Where are the pics sir???????? Thread is useless without pics!!!!!

LOL j/k. Sounds like an amazing start! Love the dimensions of the tank, Love deeper tanks, I plan on my next tank being 30" depth.

And Metal Halides!!! I salute you sir! You have plans to reduce the heat? Chiller or Lots of fans?

Great start though!

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have plans to reduce the heat? Chiller or Lots of fans?

I’m telling myself that a won’t need a chiller, because that’s what I want to believe. The MH will be 12” from the water surface, so that should help. I plan on using 3x Noctua 140mm IP67 fans (108cfm per) directed towards the water surface in the sump. One large Vornado fan blowing between the tank and lights.

Should have pics in the next couple days. Still have a few more Home Depot runs to do. I know…. zzzZZZzzz

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.. do these things BLOW!

Plan on making an acrylic mounting bracket, so they can sit on top of the sump.

Connected and ready for soldering:

unnamed.jpg

Final product:

unnamed-1.jpg

1. Snip the blue and green wires from the fans (you won't need them).
2. Connect and solder the fan's three yellow and black wires.
3. Cut molex off the power supply adapter
4. Solder the 22awg extension wire to the fans and power supply.

** Put heat shrink on prior to soldering**
;Rage

For anyone interested in adding fans, it's that easy.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had dry rock in the past hold phosphate, I chose to bathe the rock in MA. I have to say, this time around, I've had zero algae issues.

unnamed-13.jpg

The rock immediately started to accept algae. Much better without all of the dust.
unnamed-10.jpg

Canopy is complete. I decided to not include the retrofit T5s. They were just too bulky and not overly pleasing to the eye.

Here's a photo of one of the retrofits that I planned on using to prime the bulbs. As you can see, many wires. The end caps were my biggest complaint.

unnamed-14.jpg

unnamed-8.jpg
unnamed-15.jpg

Hamilton said their MH fixture won't be available till mid September.

boo.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast forward one year later... lol

Finally got also everything grounded. Family, work, and new tank problems have kept me quite busy and unable to really document the build. Nevertheless, I'm now at a point where I can now start to enjoy it and document stuff.

I was hesitant about building my own stand, but with a slowly focus mindset, it turned out perfect and is completely level.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights turned out great. Current running 2x 400w moguls with 10K bulbs. I have 3 Orphek OR3s fixture to supplement the halides.
unnamed-3.jpg

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first 8 months of the build, I had been dealing with dinos. Pretty every kind known to man. I ran UV and dosed silicate, which helped visually remove them.

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for my tank to arrive, I set up temporary tank housing a pair of clownfish. I added a PVC pipe inside the tank to work around my ATO. My clowns instantly took to it, weaving in and out of the holes that I had drilled. I was kind of taken back by it all, as it wasn't made for that purpose. The pipe was only 3/4'' ID. They had an entire 100 gallon tank with lots of live rock to take shelter in. They were the only fish in the tank, yet it chose this one single pipe to make and call home. Nevertheless, after seeing how much they enjoyed it and how much more active they became, I knew I'd have to incorporate a similar setup in the display.
unnamed.jpg

When I put them in the display, I didn't have a structure for them outside of live rock. It took me about 2 weeks to set something up. During this time, all they would do is stay in one single spot at the top of a corner, while never leaving. Day or night it didn't matter.They looked miserable, almost to the point of wondering if they might be ill. I got around to putting something together.

unnamed-1.jpg

As I expected, the added shelter got them moving again and they became much more active. It was ok, however it wasn't really ideal or secure for my liking. I put an elbow at the top, as I figured it was be a good place for them to sleep at night. Sure enough, that's where they started sleeping. I don't know why, but they will only sleep at the top of the surface.

As time went on, and the clowns grew, I finally got around to making them a larger, more permanent shelter/playhouse.
unnamed-10.jpg

f you notice, the top has an area in which they will sleep and feel secure.
unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4-1.jpg

unnamed-12.jpg

Their constant weaving is entertaining to watch. Much better than having them stay in one corner all day and night and not swim.

Originally, all I cared about was having a tank that looked sleek and pleasing to the eye, however as time went on my priority shifted. I started enjoying less of the overall aesthetic appearance and more around the activity from within the tank itself. Over time, as corals grow and coraline spreads, I'm sure it will be less noticeable. If you knew my clowns, there really wasn't a choice. Kids these days...

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got around to making a few fish shelters as well. Lesson learned angle grinder >hammer and chisel.
unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-8.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg

My foxface and tomini like to share the cave below. There's a crevice on the side that can't be seen, which they like to sleep in. It was a real hit. The only problem is that now I don't see my foxface as much.
unnamed-14.jpg

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my current project....

I've been wanting to get a pair of Mandarin gobies and have been thinking of a way to keep pods sustainable for them. I already have an ADHD melanurus who seeks them out 24/7. I decided to hollow out some live rock and put some heavy duty mesh inside. This will give them much needed surface to reproduce and refuge in. I plan on putting some in the sump as well. My tank doesn't have enough nutrients to allow for chaetomorpha algae, so this helps fill that void.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back