Gary 67

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just started my tank after i retired at the age of 67 but it's something i always wanted to do so now i just started cleaning the tank seems like fun my nitrates are high so i'm making a 40 g water change hope that's enough let me know guys if you can if 40 g is enough to start

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! What size is your tank?

Clownfish.gif

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! As noted above, it depends on how high your nitrates are and what setup you have -- tank size, filtration, water supply, tank inhabitants, etc. Generally, I lean towards multiple water changes of around 15-25% to avoid making too rapid of a change in water parameters, but I believe water changes of 40% are also decently safe depending on your tank inhabitants. If you aren't using RODI water, it might be a good idea to test your source water, as non-RODI water often has nitrates present that will inhibit your ability to remove them from your tank. It's also a good idea to determine where the nitrates are coming from. Are you using non-RODI water, are you overfeeding, is there something dead/dying in the tank, do you have too much bioload for the filtration to handle, etc. When I inherited my tank, the nitrate levels were toxic, with the rocks having absorbed significant amounts that continued to leach out into the water for months. I found eventual success by slow and steady water changes, and dosing carbon (in my case, very small amounts of vodka).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back