Gas bubbles in 2.5" sandbed

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I move the sand to release the bubbles, leave it, or another option? Hoping it's not hydrogen sulfide.

And yes, I believe the diatoms are from my sandbed. Nvm it looks like a different algae, like hair or Dino's. Tank is around 2 months old with fish. Current meds in tank...Prazipro and kanaplex.

IMG_20210815_153705498.jpg

Last edited:

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, this may be Anaerobic bacteria, which help complete the Nitrogen cycle in areas devoid of oxygen. Also known as Anammox (anaerobic ammonia oxidation) - I would personally leave the sand bed as is, though maybe others can shed more light.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...here's pic of algae but more concerned about the bubbles.
162905818586244307053144599633.jpg

Bubbles...
16290583429323095728776304638912.jpg

I swear I wake up with a new problem everyday...ugh.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles on the surface are due to the diatoms. They photosynthesize and create small amounts of oxygen, which in time form larger bubbles. If you “swoosh” the diatoms with water, and they come off as a dust, they are diatoms. If they come off as a stringy substance, then it may be Dinos. Either way, reducing lights can help. Especially if you only have fish right now

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles on the surface are due to the diatoms. They photosynthesize and create small amounts of oxygen, which in time form larger bubbles. If you “swoosh” the diatoms with water, and they come off as a dust, they are diatoms. If they come off as a stringy substance, then it may be Dinos. Either way, reducing lights can help. Especially if you only have fish right now
Yes true but is 9 hrs too much light?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes true but is 9 hrs too much light?
Depends on the intensity of the light and if there is direct/indirect sunlight in the room. The fish won’t be harmed by less light, but mixing treatments and medications can sometimes cause issues. I typically try to find natural solutions/remedies, but to each their own! :)

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely algae photosynthesising.

The tank is new and it looks like you started with dry rock and sand. It's just going to be an all out war in your tank for awhile until it stabilizes. All you can really do if you want to keep your sanity Is keeping any 1 thing from going nuclear. Gotta let nature do its thing.

Just aim at keeping nutrients low with water changes and light feedings.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had air bubbles like that when I started out my tank. Eventually they went away, especially with the addition of a pistol shrimp. If you get some inverts or fish that will stir the sandbed, then algae and bubbles are less likely to appear.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are livestock that are crucial must have compared to must avoid with DSB
Even though this is only 2.5” anything I believe over 2” can be considered deep sand bed .
but typically 2-4” I believe .
id be worried 2.5” isn’t quite deep enough to keep gassed below the surface and to be efficient .

it’s been 10+ years since I’ve researched anything about deep sand beds though .
correct me if I am wrong

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had air bubbles like that when I started out my tank. Eventually they went away, especially with the addition of a pistol shrimp. If you get some inverts or fish that will stir the sandbed, then algae and bubbles are less likely to appear.
I have 10 cerith Snails and a cbs.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sleeper Banded Goby. This is him.
IMG_20210814_125426224_BURST094.jpg
These gobies are known for trying to eat small crustaceans, though I don’t think they kill snails very often. The good thing about nassarius snails is that they can hide underground and have strong trapdoors. You could always experiment with a couple nasssarius snails, and if it works, you could try some more.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These gobies are known for trying to eat small crustaceans, though I don’t think they kill snails very often. The good thing about nassarius snails is that they can hide underground and have strong trapdoors. You could always experiment with nasssarius snails, and if it works, you could try some more.
I may try that. Thanks.

Back