Gate/Ball valve on Return drain - do I need one?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of having a Gate or Ball valve installed on the return line?

Should I add one to my return line?

Tank details:
Overflow has 3 drains (bean animal), main drain has a gate valve.
My return line goes directly to the display. Although, I am toying with the idea of adding a Tee fitting incase I want a manifold someday, or a spout for water changes.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a return line it can quickly isolate your tank if needed without any backflow and if your looking to add a manifold down the road it gives you an option to tune your return flow to direct flow towards your reactors

Last edited:

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well depends on a few things
! will your pump be external, my 2 pumps will be so I will put a valve on each pump just to shut water off to the pump so I can f
remove it and do maintenance on it.
2 you might want to put your pump on a manifold so you can use the same pump to run things like a Carbon reactor or GFO reactor, or a chiller

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a return line it can quickly isolate your tank if needed without any backflow and if your looking to add a manifold down the road it gives you an option to tune your return flow to direct flow towards your reactors

Well depends on a few things
! will your pump be external, my 2 pumps will be so I will put a valve on each pump just to shut water off to the pump so I can f
remove it and do maintenance on it.
2 you might want to put your pump on a manifold so you can use the same pump to run things like a Carbon reactor or GFO reactor, or a chiller
Return pump is internal.

I have a small reactor I plan on installing eventually but with its own separate pump.

Besides a reactor and chiller, is there any other reason I’d want a manifold?

Why might I need to isolate the tank quickly to prevent backflow? It was my understanding that if the return outlet is just below the surface and the sump has the capacity to handle the backflow, nothing else is needed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ball valves to isolate an external pump; not for an internal pump.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump is internal.

I have a small reactor I plan on installing eventually but with its own separate pump.

Besides a reactor and chiller, is there any other reason I’d want a manifold?

Why might I need to isolate the tank quickly to prevent backflow? It was my understanding that if the return outlet is just below the surface and the sump has the capacity to handle the backflow, nothing else is needed.
You are OK really I never worry about back flow my sump is always big enough to handle the water that drains back when the power is off, Good Luck

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ball valves to isolate an external pump; not for an internal pump.

This would be why I was really suggesting it. Aside from the manifold of course. You are right in if your outlets are just below the surface you will have minimal backflow. And depending on what you would like to run, potentially more than one reactor or an ATS, quick drain for easy water changes (awesome to have BTW) and so on are all good reasons to run a manifold but if you're adding multiple items on a manifold it might be best to run it on its own pump. You can always make your manifold expandable so if you wish to you can add more onto it down the road.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finalizing the plumbing of my system, here I am back to questioning whether or not to add the ball valve. ;Sorry

General consensus seems to be "not needed" unless adding a manifold. It's very unlikely I'll end up wanting/needing a manifold for anything in the future. BUT I do like the idea of a quick drain for easy water changes, as @JoshH mentioned.

Can anyone elaborate on how I'd go about adding a water change drain to my return line?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finalizing the plumbing of my system, here I am back to questioning whether or not to add the ball valve. ;Sorry

General consensus seems to be "not needed" unless adding a manifold. It's very unlikely I'll end up wanting/needing a manifold for anything in the future. BUT I do like the idea of a quick drain for easy water changes, as @JoshH mentioned.

Can anyone elaborate on how I'd go about adding a water change drain to my return line?

One way is by adding a "T" above the return line valve to divert the water to drain. There would also need to be a valve on the other part of the water to drain side of the "T".

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question how much water you could get out by diverting the return line to a bucket. My system would quickly have the pump sucking air.
Not nearly enough for a water change.
Many people get their return pump size wrong. Overflow their drains and make them noisy and try to fix it with a valve on the return to control the pump output and turn it down.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would question how much water you could get out by diverting the return line to a bucket. My system would quickly have the pump sucking air.
Not nearly enough for a water change.
Many people get their return pump size wrong. Overflow their drains and make them noisy and try to fix it with a valve on the return to control the pump output and turn it down.

Good point! I am not recommending it - just trying to explain how it could be done.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an elaborate return system or rigid pipe or one that could potentially drain a lot of water back add a valve and a union to service the pump
If your drain back relies on a check valve. You might want a valve so you can clean it.

Otherwise don't bother.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back