OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom, I do not plan to seed the rock with any live rock. I will add bottled bacteria for the cycle. From experiments with my 25g reef, I will also add sponge to the sump from an established tank, Then I will add pods from a source like Reef Nutrition. I see you are in the OC. Have you considered joining the local reef club SCMAS? There are a lot of knowledgeable reefers there.

Bacteria
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/one-only-saltwater-live-nitrifying-bacteria-dr-tims.html

Pods
https://reefnutrition.com/product_apex_pods.php

SCMAS aquarium club
www.officialscmas.org

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom, I do not plan to seed the rock with any live rock. I will add bottled bacteria for the cycle. From experiments with my 25g reef, I will also add sponge to the sump from an established tank, Then I will add pods from a source like Reef Nutrition. I see you are in the OC. Have you considered joining the local reef club SCMAS? There are a lot of knowledgeable reefers there.

Bacteria
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/one-only-saltwater-live-nitrifying-bacteria-dr-tims.html

Pods
https://reefnutrition.com/product_apex_pods.php

SCMAS aquarium club
www.officialscmas.org
@gcarroll, Thank you for the info. Happily, I have already joined SCMAS[emoji5] I hope to attend upcoming meeting. - Tom

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered joining the local reef club SCMAS? There are a lot of knowledgeable reefers there.
Hey Greg Cool club and website , shoot I want to join! I see Joe C did a Video, Ill try to find it today. When do you plan on getting SW in.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Greg Cool club and website , shoot I want to join! I see Joe C did a Video, Ill try to find it today. When do you plan on getting SW in.
You can join! We already have a member in Anchorage, Alaska so you don'thave to feel you are too far away. some would say that the perks are well worth the flight!

Based on the tracing info of the cargo ship, the filtration is scheduled to arrive Sept 8-9 (depending what tracking site you look at). I have been following it but tracking is out of range while they are in the middle of the Pacific. No one knows what is going to happen with customs as this is the first shipment post tariffs, so who knows how long that will take. I plan to get wet some time in October. I got a lot on the table right now with kids going back to school and RAP Cali knocking on my door. Good thing is that I have most of the equipment that I need to complete the build.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gcarroll - oh I see !!!! How come you have never given me that invitation to join SCMAS ? Lol !!!!

Regards,
Abhishek
Sorry bud! All are invited. We have a great club with a wealth of knowledge. We have members who have been members since the late 80's as well as a few reefers who have been TOTM.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the sump come in yet?
You must have missed it.
Based on the tracking info of the cargo ship, the filtration is scheduled to arrive Sept 8-9 (depending what tracking site you look at). I have been following it but tracking is out of range while they are in the middle of the Pacific. No one knows what is going to happen with customs as this is the first shipment post tariffs, so who knows how long that will take.

Skard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup GC, I remember following your other aquarium on RC. I am getting bids from AGE & Planet Aquarium currently on a 300G. If I can ask what made you go with the PVC bottom, what's the advantage?

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup GC, I remember following your other aquarium on RC. I am getting bids from AGE & Planet Aquarium currently on a 300G. If I can ask what made you go with the PVC bottom, what's the advantage?
I had two friends with large tanks that shall I say... had failure issues. From what I have seen the bottom seam is the one under the greatest pressure. The design of pvc bottom tanks have 2 (Planet Aquariums) to 3 (AGE) times more bonding area on that bottom seam than traditional glass aquariums. Here is a cut away of a Planet hybrid tank.
855ee169da828d10a2bf0dca6e1903d9.jpg

Since the AGE is also trimmed with stainless steel angle iron along the perimeter the vertical glass panes are bonded on 3 sides.

Skard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks for the explanation, that has probably made the decision on which tank I am going with. Did you go with Starphire on your front glass or did you just use standard glass?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a rule, when it comes to starfire glass, I don't feel it is a must unless your tank is 5/8" glass or thicker.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back