OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished putting first coat of indoor/outdoor polyurethane on the inside of the stand tonight.

Also, I was looking at things I could get to retrofit the VHOs to T5s. It doesn't look like there is enough room to have 4 T5s just 2 of them unfortunately. Unless I'm missing something out there? These I found below would be dim-able as a slight benefit I suppose. Not sure if its worth doing it yet or not. I guess it would be a good idea if VHOs are going to go away any time soon?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dimmable-t5-ho-miro-4-retrofit-kit-let-lighting.html

Other thing I need to decide on is where to put my overflow and the two returns. I just got the stuff in the mail today. I'm sort of wondering if I could put the overflow in the center and the returns on each end.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK hear is the time where you say 'I told you so' or something to that affect. I didn't get my tank downstairs cause I was afraid to try to carry it. Unfortunately I finally got brave and took it downstairs. lol No I didn't break the tank, but I put it on the stand and it had some gaps between the stand and the plywood. So of course I like to do things backwards I trying to sand down the high points to reduce the gaps. I don't know if it has to be perfectly flat or if a small amount of gap is OK like 1/16 of an inch or less? In some areas if I even put the lightest amount of weight on the tank it sets down on the stand. So its not very off in most areas.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK hear is the time where you say 'I told you so' or something to that affect. I didn't get my tank downstairs cause I was afraid to try to carry it. Unfortunately I finally got brave and took it downstairs. lol No I didn't break the tank, but I put it on the stand and it had some gaps between the stand and the plywood. So of course I like to do things backwards I trying to sand down the high points to reduce the gaps. I don't know if it has to be perfectly flat or if a small amount of gap is OK like 1/16 of an inch or less? In some areas if I even put the lightest amount of weight on the tank it sets down on the stand. So its not very off in most areas.
Since you don't have trim on the top, foam from a hardware store wont look pretty but you can find a tank mat online. They are thin and black so you wont notice it much.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/foam...fR03I7Z4vIH8jdHqwfoU2Aj_uKp6Ci5hoCTgUQAvD_BwE

Edit: I told you so. :)

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention its a framed/rimmed tank so I hear foam or mat options are frowned upon. You would think there got to be a bit of tolerance in the design cause I find it hard to believe you be able to get anything wood perfectly flat.

EDIT: thanks for trying to help tho.. :)

Last edited:

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trimmed tanks are meant to have all the weight on the edges so I'm not sure how much of a tolerance is ok. When I did research on it before, there wasn't a clear answer expect for "have a flat top" which really isn't useful, especially if its made of wood, lol.
Maybe you can find something else useful on the web but I used a 1/2" thin foam sheet on my tank which I probally will take out. If you do find anything relevant, let us know. Sorry this wasn't helpful, I don't want to give bad info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah no problem thanks for the help. I just wanted to find out if there was any idea of how much margin there is if any. I would presume that you want to make sure if the tank is full of water that it's touching everywhere at that point. It just how much torsion the tank can take reasonably.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I'm coming down with a cold so I was working from home today. I been trying to sand down the high spots and its getting better but there a ~1/16" gap in the middle front that persists so far.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway on the local forum someone told me that as long as the corners are setting OK you can handle a small amount of gap along the center. I also found a different thread that the person called marineland and got basically the same answer.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway on the local forum someone told me that as long as the corners are setting OK you can handle a small amount of gap along the center. I also found a different thread that the person called marineland and got basically the same answer.
Good to know, I'm going to take off my rigid insul, glad I saw this post!

As for vho lights, I was talking to my lfs guy, those and t5s will be harder to get in the future since everything is shifting to leds. Not sure how much truth there is to this but I've read this multiple times from other people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I its better for a rimmed tank to be on a rigid base, but pain in a** to get it just right. I have one corner that is like half setting down.. However if I put like a slight pressure (maybe 5 pounds) on the tank it sets down. I wonder if it's close enough.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I bought a used 40 breeder and stand from a friend a little while ago, so I’m watching some other builds to pick up some ideas. I think you’re stand turned out great! Side doors were a nice touch. What kind of reef are you planning?

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there @jk_s124 missed that you posted a question. I honestly not sure what kind of reef I am planning. lol I suppose that is important. I figure something for beginners like me.

So I got sick the last few days and I'm really tired. I did manage to get some energy and I got my replacement ballast in the mail. I hooked it up and it fired right up so I'm at least good there. I thinking it was just the igniter but can't seem to buy just that part. The original transformer looked a little brown side anyways so maybe not a bad idea to replace the whole thing.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I'm going to take off my rigid insul, glad I saw this post!

As for vho lights, I was talking to my lfs guy, those and t5s will be harder to get in the future since everything is shifting to leds. Not sure how much truth there is to this but I've read this multiple times from other people.

Oh as far as the VHOs I think I buy a few sets for now and leave it at that. Supposedly LEDs are not as efficient in the UV zone but maybe in future they will be better. I know enough I could easily replace the VHOs with UV LED strips when the time comes. The guy on the local forum told me they been saying VHOs and T5s will be going away for decades and hasn't happened yet. He also said they still use VHOs for tanning beds.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the holes drilled in the tank. I decided to put the return in the center and the two returns on the end (since I going to have two pumps). Hopefully that will be as good layout. I panicked about my chip out on the first hole I drilled (if you didn't see the other thread) but folks said it wasn't too big of an issue.

I'm trying to fix the top part of my stand that I leveled out also. Going to re-stain it a bit but I dont' think anyone will notice since the tank will be mostly covering it. Thinking I might coat it with that wood epoxy and then sand that down instead if it needs more tweaking.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In further activities.. I decided to buy a new 20 gallon long today because they were cheap with the $1 gallon sale and that way i don't have to tare up my old sump setup. I might end up using my old 29G setup for a QT tank anyways. I should get my sump kit in tomorrow and get that silicone-ed together if I have some time tomorrow.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the holes drilled in the tank. I decided to put the return in the center and the two returns on the end (since I going to have two pumps). Hopefully that will be as good layout. I panicked about my chip out on the first hole I drilled (if you didn't see the other thread) but folks said it wasn't too big of an issue.

I'm trying to fix the top part of my stand that I leveled out also. Going to re-stain it a bit but I dont' think anyone will notice since the tank will be mostly covering it. Thinking I might coat it with that wood epoxy and then sand that down instead if it needs more tweaking.
Lemme know how it turns out and if its really hard or soft.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme know how it turns out and if its really hard or soft.
Yeah didn't think about that but I was assuming it be fairly hard. Hoping it will self level a bit too, but hard to say if it will.
Maybe I should epoxy it and then glue the tank to it that would make sure there are no gaps.. ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason i bring this up is i used putty on the corners of my stand and the the trim. I think it will be too brittle if you gonna use it to try to level the plywood where the tank will sit on and not help.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason i bring this up is i used putty on the corners of my stand and the the trim. I think it will be too brittle if you gonna use it to try to level the plywood where the tank will sit on and not help.

Yeah it might be. not sure.. :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back