Gemmifera or humilis

jahkaya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

It seems super difficult these days to find any gemmifera or humilis acropora anywhere. Does anyone have any sources for these? Also it appears that colonies of most any acropora online are just not available. Does one have to drive to LA to obtain these, or is it not feasible because the farmers in general just not growing and selling mini colonies. Little 1 inch frags in general are just not my jam. Finally, why are there so few true yellow and blue acros around. Its as if everyone is just selling variations of millies and tenuis' with stupid names worse than weed strains. So hard to find the actual species names. What gives?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello all,

It seems super difficult these days to find any gemmifera or humilis acropora anywhere. Does anyone have any sources for these? Also it appears that colonies of most any acropora online are just not available. Does one have to drive to LA to obtain these, or is it not feasible because the farmers in general just not growing and selling mini colonies. Little 1 inch frags in general are just not my jam. Finally, why are there so few true yellow and blue acros around. Its as if everyone is just selling variations of millies and tenuis' with stupid names worse than weed strains. So hard to find the actual species names. What gives?
@Battlecorals has some humi’s. not sure of thoee

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see humilis available in some of my LFS in the LA area and a few online vendors as mentioned above, but haven't seen a gemmifera forever. I just picked up a nice super green humilis from a local reefer. I also think @therman has a few humilis, some of which are from Adam @Battlecorals.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a few humilis, and several blue and yellow Acropora available if you are interested. Can cut chunkier frags to mini colonies of many, but they are fully captive grown. The supply of new Acropora colonies into the hobby, especially things besides endless (repeating) variations on tenuis, does seem to be dwindling a lot these days.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few humilis, and several blue and yellow Acropora available if you are interested. Can cut chunkier frags to mini colonies of many, but they are fully captive grown. The supply of new Acropora colonies into the hobby, especially things besides endless (repeating) variations on tenuis, does seem to be dwindling a lot these days.
For a good while there, you could blame COVID and then the astronomical leap in shipping/container costs but that is all done with.
My LFS gets a pretty regular trans-shipment of (Malaysian?) smooth skins. Colors are kinda meh, but the shapes and textures are cool and different. Suharsonoi and similar.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask the guy running liveatockusa (bird fish?) if he can get you a box with specific types of acropora. If not ask if he can get a box with NO tenuis, which would almost ensure some thick acropora would be mixed in I would hope. Sad to see soooo much tenuis in each shipment imo.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Like Obdoc stated above, I have quite a few different acro colonies. Know I have some humilis but don’t think I have any gemmifera currently however I should be able to get some fairly easy.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battlecorals sells some nice humulis, but he also has a digitifera called Red Hot Hat Digit, which is similar to a humulis or gemmifera. Such a cool coral, with green and red tips. @therman also has a great selection of coral as others have said.

Here's my frag:
Red Hot Hat Digit.png

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try and tell people to try mariculture but for the reefers who do not have these acropora and want one, if you are not very experienced try aquacultured
Battlecorals sells some nice humulis, but he also has a digitifera called Red Hot Hat Digit, which is similar to a humulis or gemmifera. Such a cool coral, with green and red tips. @therman also has a great selection of coral as others have said.

Here's my frag:
Red Hot Hat Digit.png

Most anyone on here who has aquacultured fragments of these digitate acropora are a good bet for some nice coral. These are not easy to grow large, nor easy to grow quickly, and certainly are not the easiest to transition into an aquarium from Mari or wild pieces. They are certainly my favorite type of acropora and there are not a lot of tank raised fragments available. Major props to the few who still keep mother colonies of these acropora and frag from them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back