Generator Recommendations?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
We're looking into getting a generator when we move next year and set up the 200 gallon tank we have. I know very little about generators or how much power it takes to run a tank that large. Currently, I have a two day old 20 gallon tank with live sand and dry rock, so experience is completely lacking in general. We live in Minnesota, so summer storms and snowy winters typically make the power flicker or go out completely at least once or twice a year. If we're going to invest this much in a tank, why not spend the next year and a half saving for a life support system, just in case?
Thanks all for your advice and experiences!

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portable Generator

Honda or Yamaha

Whole-house Generator

Generac or Kohler
This guy knows his stuff. I wouldn’t buy a generator just for the tank, why not buy one big enough to drive your entire house? You don’t have to spend a fortune on a generator - the portable generac ones are fairly inexpensive albeit a bit loud. The Honda ones are great but pricier.

I bought the 7500 portable generac and had an electrician wire a manual switch plate into my breaker box which simultaneously disconnects me from the street and back feeds from my generator. The generator is kept outside in a Rubbermaid kids bicycle shed to protect it from the elements - the the electrician wired the plug right there. All in, including electrician cost was a grand. It’s not automatic, not propane, not fancy in any way - but that 7500 generac can almost power my entire house.

Here’s how it all works. In the fall, I buy and store gas in 5 gallon containers in my shed. Power goes out, I flip the manual switch plate in my breaker box, plug in the generator, give it a start, and power resumes. I test run the generator quarterly, and make sure it’s battery (for starting) is charged. I change oil and perform maintenance once a year. Whatever gas I don’t use gets used in the spring summer with my lawn mowers and tools.

IMO every house should have at least a portable generator between 5000 and 7500. Get an electrician to hook it up to your breaker box and you’re good to go. Keeping your reef tank going is a benefit, but so is having electricity during a blizzard.

deahttub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt buy a generater that isnt an inverter as well. Living in florida, lots of people fry their fridges because the big 5500 generators dont put out ‘clean’ power...

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kolher or Cummins would be my choice for whole house. I’m on a Kolher, get about 2 weeks a year use on it.
Not sure if it’s still an issue, but there was issues I heard/ saw on utube of Generaics having its air intake freezing on cold set ups. Years ago they did have some realibity issues but have heard mostly positive things recently.
Portables - Honda period

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter generator, less than half the price of a Honda and in my opinion just as good, and I did own both.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Honda 3k should work, assuming ambient doesn't get too cold. Heater is your biggest load, 1000 watts for 200g.
Extra to run the TV.
Hondas $$$, but quiet and clean power, easy on the electronics.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you own your house then spend the money and have a quality whole house generator professionally installed. I had an 18K installed 10 years ago and it has been a lifesaver. Automatic transfer, self testing and runs off my under ground propane tank. It will run everything in the house with the exception that it will only run one of the 2 AC plants. I live in a rural area of FL and lose power frequently not to mention the hurricanes which has caused my house to suffer power losses of 4 and 7 days respectively.

If you don't own the new home or are not going to be there long. Buy the Honda.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out :rolleyes: Have you thought about a battery backup? If you just want to cover the tank that's a clean dependable way to go.
This is on my wish list :cool:
1598920120495.png

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portable Generator

Honda or Yamaha

Whole-house Generator

Generac or Kohler

What generator would you recommend that runs propane? I don't have a gas car, so I won't have gasoline readily around the house. Propane have unlimited shelf life, thus I think it will be better fuel choice for me. But Honda don't seem to have a model that do propane.

OP
OP
Alaeriel

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping that when we get the house next year, we'll have a whole house generator installed. They don't seem to be tremendously expensive for what they are

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What generator would you recommend that runs propane? I don't have a gas car, so I won't have gasoline readily around the house. Propane have unlimited shelf life, thus I think it will be better fuel choice for me. But Honda don't seem to have a model that do propane.

I do not know about portables that use propane.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Champion has some dual fuel models that run on propane. Smaller to larger, want to say 7k at the top as far as portables go.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back