Genesis Rock Booster – a New Biomedia from Polyp Lab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 1, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genesis Rock and Genesis Rock Booster is a new option for adding a massive amount of surface area for bacterial colonization without taking up too much space in your aquarium system. The very swanky packaging for the Genesis Rock contains two blocks of ceramic beads sintered together into a square block measuring 4 x 4…
Source

Continue reading...

WRLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genesis Rock and Genesis Rock Booster is a new option for adding a massive amount of surface area for bacterial colonization without taking up too much space in your aquarium system. The very swanky packaging for the Genesis Rock contains two blocks of ceramic beads sintered together into a square block measuring 4 x 4…
Source

Continue reading...
Hi RB. When you say "massive amount of surface area". Do you know how this compares to Siporax or say Marine pure blocks? The space saving is appealing but only if comparable with my existing media, which is 10l of Siporax.

Rey "deep sea" Manta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a deeper look to this new biomedia, and found out this Polyp Lab website is hilarious.

All other context are the same, about describing the size of water volume each block can support, but

In the Genesis Rock product page: https://www.polyplab.com/products/genesis-rock
Using more blocks than the capacity recommended above is ok, and will increase your filtration power. However, we do not recommend exceeding 500% of the capacities listed above.

In the Genesis Rock Booster product page: https://www.polyplab.com/products/genesis-rock-booster
Using more blocks than the capacity recommended above is ok, and will increase your filtration power. However, we do recommend exceeding 10x of the capacities listed above.

I guess my tank is both too small and too big for this product :p .

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a deeper look to this new biomedia, and found out this Polyp Lab website is hilarious.

All other context are the same, about describing the size of water volume each block can support, but

In the Genesis Rock product page: https://www.polyplab.com/products/genesis-rock

In the Genesis Rock Booster product page: https://www.polyplab.com/products/genesis-rock-booster

I guess my tank is both too small and too big for this product :p .
If it works who cares

Rey "deep sea" Manta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it works who cares
This tells us a lot of things!
First, it shows how reckless this company is. I will try to avoid a reckless company's product.
Second, how can people know it works or not if there is no way to find out what is the right capacities?
Third, maybe the OP should do some due diligent when they wrote the new product review.

But I know you don't care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it works who cares

The logical question is how best to use it to make it "work".

Not that I am too concerned about it as I think it is a typo and believe it should say "we do NOT recommend exceeding 10x of the capacities listed above."

It would still be inconsistent with the 500% guidance on the other post (ie 10x vs 5x), but at least one page would not be recommending to use 10x the amount and the other page recommending not to use more than 5x the amount(obviously a consumer cant do both)

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of the cheap bio blocks in my sump and recently bought a pack of Genesis. I intend to removed the cheap crap and leave the 2 Genesis bricks in alone.
Over the next few weeks I will remove the old and hopefully can get by on just the 2 bricks as it states.
At the price of these if they perform as stated are a way better and cheaper option than the other brand at 2x the cost

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you read how much surface area each marine pure block is? Do you go dang I'm going to take 3/4" inch of it off because I run a 29 gallon tank . I wouldnt call it reckless but maybe a misinterpretation from the company and their packer during a zoom call .. In this hobby there is about 9 million more things to worry about than to worry about the directions of a bio media . With things like the vibrant thing going on , all I can think of is Allen iverson's press conference, we talking about bio bricks !! Cmon bio media !!

Rey "deep sea" Manta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a new product. It takes people willing to give it a try and make an assessment of it's abilities.
Bagging it and not having used it is pointless

Your statement is not replying any of my statements :)
You would not skip all these considerations simply because this is a new product, don't you?

I have a lot of the cheap bio blocks in my sump and recently bought a pack of Genesis. I intend to removed the cheap crap and leave the 2 Genesis bricks in alone.
Over the next few weeks I will remove the old and hopefully can get by on just the 2 bricks as it states.
At the price of these if they perform as stated are a way better and cheaper option than the other brand at 2x the cost

It is nice and helpful if you share your experience. But this does not change the fact that the website is conflicting itself, which concerns me as a potential buyer/user. Remember, I was considering to make a purchase, so I start digging into the product description.

I wouldn't take the risk to use it in my tank, especially the manufacture already states "NOT recommend" (especially for a new product.)
Good luck with you tank, it is beautiful.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi RB. When you say "massive amount of surface area". Do you know how this compares to Siporax or say Marine pure blocks? The space saving is appealing but only if comparable with my existing media, which is 10l of Siporax.
They state one brick has 23,000sqr feet of area at 4x4x1
The other big name brand states 5,750sq ft at 8x8x1 or
8x8x4 at 23,000 sq ft

I guess it will take someone with a large system to prove or disprove their claims.
My tank is only 30 gal. 1 Genesis rock claims to supports 350 gal

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering what risk you're taking ? Inert ceramic plate that is strictly used for surface area ...Honestly you're over thinking it , theres is literally 8 other brands that do the same thing . It's just another option .

Rey "deep sea" Manta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what risk you're taking ? Inert ceramic plate that is strictly used for surface area ...Honestly you're over thinking it , theres is literally 8 other brands that do the same thing . It's just another option .

To be honest, if the product description does not specify any capacity limit or recommendation. I won't worry that much, and probably made the purchase already, because it looks dope.

What worry me is: I don't want to be the idiot that when the manufacture explicitly saying "NOT recommend" and I still do it. If there is any valid reason behind it, I will be super sorry to my livestock in my tank. What may really go wrong? I don't know; I don't make this rock. And as you said, there are 8 other brands do the same thing without saying "NOT recommend". I won't spend any of my livestock to find out why the manufacture saying "NOT recommend".

Sorry if this does not make sense to you; this is my thought process.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, if the product description does not specify any capacity limit or recommendation. I won't worry that much, and probably made the purchase already, because it looks dope.

What worry me is: I don't want to be the idiot that when the manufacture explicitly saying "NOT recommend" and I still do it. If there is any valid reason behind it, I will be super sorry to my livestock in my tank. What may really go wrong? I don't know; I don't make this rock. And as you said, there are 8 other brands do the same thing without saying "NOT recommend". I won't spend any of my livestock to find out why the manufacture saying "NOT recommend".

Sorry if this does not make sense to you; this is my thought process.
Can you have too much nitrifying bacteria? Not according to my research.
Your tank will only support the amount of bacteria your tank can feed (naturally).
You can have too much bio media that takes up space unnecessarily that is not being colonized efficiently

Maybe that is what they are alluding too?
ie my 30gal should get by on one brick which frees up a lot of sump space. That's to be seen and proven.
You can set up one brick for anaerobic and one for aerobic.

Every new product takes a guinea pig or 2 to be a test subject.
They are ceramic so are not harmful to the environment. So they say.
Mine have been in now over a week.
I bought it because I have a Nitrate issue I cant nail down.
My Ammonia and Nitrite were undetectable at my last test.

I guess I'm one of the guinea pigs

I hope I've not offended. Was never my intent

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and maybe many of us have bought into the whole thing unnecessarily?
My tank cycled in 3 weeks with live rock and stability
Nothing's wrong with trying something you might be curious about but it just seems a good bit unneeded...99.9% of the time natural is the best

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back