Getting back into fish keeping

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The general consensus tends to be that larger tanks are more forgiving than smaller tanks. Based on your desired stocking, it looks like you'd do well to have two (or more) tanks. The seahorse will likely be better in a tank where it isn't competing for food, and the dragonets usually need a larger, well established tank to support their insatiable appetite for copepods.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’m getting back into the hobby after over 10 years away and am super excited to see all the changes and how much info is available! Unfortunately I’m now totally drowning in info. Hoping for some suggestions/help. With my kids now out of the house I’m finally able to turn my 25’ x 10’ basement into the fish world I’ve dreamed of. I don’t know if I should do a couple big tanks or a bunch of small/medium tanks. The only requirements I have are certain species I really want to have: hippo blue tang, mandarin dragonet, seahorse, clownfish with anemone. I know the first 3 are tricky, but they are the reason I started my first saltwater tank over 30 years ago. I appreciate any suggestions on how to set the area up.
Congrats on the fish room! It's the trade off of the kids leaving - finny children don't complain but they are still always wanting money.
Make It Rain Reaction GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’m getting back into the hobby after over 10 years away and am super excited to see all the changes and how much info is available! Unfortunately I’m now totally drowning in info. Hoping for some suggestions/help. With my kids now out of the house I’m finally able to turn my 25’ x 10’ basement into the fish world I’ve dreamed of. I don’t know if I should do a couple big tanks or a bunch of small/medium tanks. The only requirements I have are certain species I really want to have: hippo blue tang, mandarin dragonet, seahorse, clownfish with anemone. I know the first 3 are tricky, but they are the reason I started my first saltwater tank over 30 years ago. I appreciate any suggestions on how to set the area up.
Welcome!

Glad you joined! Let me just say how envious I am that you have space for multiple tanks. We're struggling with anemone's killing corals and wishing I could have different larger habitats. 20 years ago I tried a species tank for seahorses, but things have gotten SO much better regarding foods and information, so I'm sure you will do well if paired only with equally gentle and slow inhabitants.

Sadly mandarins starve in most aquariums. I have two brine shrimp flat hatteries so I can have one going/feeding while next is getting ready for following day, repeat, repeat, repeat. This is a very helpful post. I found blue pex for down tube, but I'm on the hunt for stiff black:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thanks-paulb-mandarin-feeder.263752/

Keep us posted!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back