Getting back into reefing, apartment-style

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I've really enjoyed reef2reef over the years and am so happy to have finally joined so I can participate in this wonderful community. Thank you all for the really inspiring and detailed knowledge you share. It's been about 7 years since I've had any kind of reef tank, but that's been fixed recently!

My story - I kept SW aquariums as a kid, but that was while living in the tropics so easy mode :) Then in undergrad (definitely not in the tropics), I worked in my university's marine lab which was SO much fun. Got to help build and maintain setups of all shapes and sizes and temperatures, I think about 750 gallons total. Then grad school happened, which was fun and all but busy life + low finances + tiny apartments made anything saltwater impractical. Those were the freshwater planted tank days.... BUT! Turns out life is a lot less constrained after grad school, and while I'm still stuck in apartments for the foreseeable future, I finally have the bandwidth to maintain a little piece of ocean. Not going super crazy, currently planning around mostly softies & LPS with some easier SPS.

My request for you - I'm particularly interested in finding corals aquacultured from the Marshall Islands. Luckily ORA's MIMF helps a lot here, and I got an AWESOME Plerogyra from them via Cherry Corals, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding the less brand-name, "popular" corals like the unnamed Zoas and Sarcos. Seems like while I was out the required number of adjectives in a trade name exploded (please excuse my old man rant). So, if you have any leads on frags with known RMI origins, please give me a shout!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I've really enjoyed reef2reef over the years and am so happy to have finally joined so I can participate in this wonderful community. Thank you all for the really inspiring and detailed knowledge you share. It's been about 7 years since I've had any kind of reef tank, but that's been fixed recently!

My story - I kept SW aquariums as a kid, but that was while living in the tropics so easy mode :) Then in undergrad (definitely not in the tropics), I worked in my university's marine lab which was SO much fun. Got to help build and maintain setups of all shapes and sizes and temperatures, I think about 750 gallons total. Then grad school happened, which was fun and all but busy life + low finances + tiny apartments made anything saltwater impractical. Those were the freshwater planted tank days.... BUT! Turns out life is a lot less constrained after grad school, and while I'm still stuck in apartments for the foreseeable future, I finally have the bandwidth to maintain a little piece of ocean. Not going super crazy, currently planning around mostly softies & LPS with some easier SPS.

My request for you - I'm particularly interested in finding corals aquacultured from the Marshall Islands. Luckily ORA's MIMF helps a lot here, and I got an AWESOME Plerogyra from them via Cherry Corals, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding the less brand-name, "popular" corals like the unnamed Zoas and Sarcos. Seems like while I was out the required number of adjectives in a trade name exploded (please excuse my old man rant). So, if you have any leads on frags with known RMI origins, please give me a shout!

Welcome! Glad you joined.

CONGRATULATIONS on already having your Build Thread Badge - YOU ARE ROCKING IT!!!! WAHOO!!

This might help you find people local to you in Los Angeles:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back