Getting back into Salt with the Fluval 12g

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, I've always had Venturi driven skimmers before and wasn't sure of the ability to pull skimate with the air driven style. I'll post pics when I see some nasties forming. :rolleyes:

Please do, you know we all like pictures [emoji16]

P.S. Did you find my tank log?

A.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do, you know we all like pictures [emoji16]

P.S. Did you find my tank log?

A.

I did, now following. What a quick cycle, your corals, and clam look to be doing great and I love the microscopic images - something you don't see too often on the forums! I'll probably wait out the algae and "uglies" phase - as I've done that before with Nanos and had good luck keep a relatively algae free display. It's definitely a patience tester - especially when the husband keeps asking when we will get fish. Maybe I'll set up the 5-gallon Spec V while I wait... ;Pompus

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, now following. What a quick cycle, your corals, and clam look to be doing great and I love the microscopic images - something you don't see too often on the forums! I'll probably wait out the algae and "uglies" phase - as I've done that before with Nanos and had good luck keep a relatively algae free display. It's definitely a patience tester - especially when the husband keeps asking when we will get fish. Maybe I'll set up the 5-gallon Spec V while I wait... ;Pompus

Great, glad you found me. No doubt your input will be valuable to me at points *wink*
I'm in it for the long haul as once I've learnt the basics I may just well go bigger.
Ha ha, I need a scope to see my 1" maxima clam.
Yes I find that if water change is left more than a week, it's trouble in nanos.
He sounds like the inpatient type, teach him patience lol.
I've got a 5G spec V as my QT tank, which is day 18 prophylactically going through chloroquine phosphate treatment then into the display tank.

A.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, glad you found me. No doubt your input will be valuable to me at points *wink*
I'm in it for the long haul as once I've learnt the basics I may just well go bigger.
Ha ha, I need a scope to see my 1" maxima clam.
Yes I find that if water change is left more than a week, it's trouble in nanos.
He sounds like the inpatient type, teach him patience lol.
I've got a 5G spec V as my QT tank, which is day 18 prophylactically going through chloroquine phosphate treatment then into the display tank.

A.

Nice Idea turning the Spec into a QT. I'm assuming the clown is in there currently?

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Idea turning the Spec into a QT. I'm assuming the clown is in there currently?

Yup, being a good little boy. Only another 12 days yay.

I reckon you should only go smaller if you set up a pico. That's what I'm gonna do once my fish stock is in my display. Close down my QT, set up a coral only pico (maybe a shrimp) ;)

A.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I think the Spec is perfect for softies and a small group of sexy shrimp. They just seem like fun (and a bit challenging) to keep. Going bigger is MUCH easier than keeping nanos, I've had a 55 predator tank and 75 mixed reef before and you have SO much more time to deal with any issue that arises. The bigger the tank, the more stable ime.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You like the challenge/fun right!

Tell me something, dealing with algae in a big tank is easy?
I've only had the nano myself so cannot answer that.

What makes a nano harder do you think?

A.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You like the challenge/fun right!

Tell me something, dealing with algae in a big tank is easy?
I've only had the nano myself so cannot answer that.

What makes a nano harder do you think?

A.

Fighting with algae is never easy - the approach to it can be (physical removal, CUC, RODI water) but the fight and frustration itself - never is. ;Dead Larger tanks give you more time to react to water parameter fluctuations, disease, parasites, etc simply because of the larger water volume; It doesn't get as polluted as quickly. That's not to say that things can't go wrong quickly in a large tank, it just doesn't happen AS quickly as in a nano in my experience.

I will say it's been a hot minute since I have played the "waiting to cycle" game and I'm pretty bored currently. ;Shifty All I've been doing is building my fantasy coral league in my head all week ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update. My levels have been looking stellar, had a bit of a cycle but considering I used 15lbs LR and Live Sand I'm guessing the LR had a bit of die off even though it was transported wet? NitrAtes are reading at 5-10ppm - I assume this is due to non RODI water. Will be doing a 20% WC this weekend and replacing with RODI. Diatoms have shown their ugly little heads, so CUC to come soon. :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update. My levels have been looking stellar, had a bit of a cycle but considering I used 15lbs LR and Live Sand I'm guessing the LR had a bit of die off even though it was transported wet? NitrAtes are reading at 5-10ppm - I assume this is due to non RODI water. Will be doing a 20% WC this weekend and replacing with RODI. Diatoms have shown their ugly little heads, so CUC to come soon. :)

Always some dieoff in my experience. Sponges that were exposed to air for example.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always some dieoff in my experience. Sponges that were exposed to air for example.
Yup. Tried to choose "clean" rock with little sponge life but I do see some. Also after some good ole tank staring I noticed a welcome hitchiker - a baby trochus snail :). Lots of copepods and I spotted a flatworm. By the looks of the forums it appears to be an aceol, white not red. Almost had a heart attack until the hitchiker ID thread saved my life.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been staring at my live rock for a month. My favorite part of reefing is watching what emerges. I have coral, clams, sponges, pods, worms, snails, crabs and who knows what is still to show itself.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! The best part is the ecosystem that emerges. Such a diverse microcosm - maybe it's all about the desire to learn, whether it be about the creatures in the tank or the equipment and chemistry that keeps it all going.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic Hounds! I'll grab some after work today. I'm really considering building an acrylic hang over sump similar to the Marine Pac 3 since he's no longer selling, but I have a ton of questions since I've never done anything with acrylic. You guys can check out that thread here - any advice is much appreciated!

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics showing off my hard grown diatoms :p Also picked up some CUC members. 5 Blue-legged Hermits, 3 Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Astrea Snails, 1 hitchiking Baby Trochus Snail.

IMG_20180803_162909.jpg

IMG_20180803_162956.jpg

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Skimmer started to pull some good looking skimmate, pretty wet but nicely colored. Pretty happy with this little guy.

NitrAtes holding at 5. Diatoms almost gone from rocks but still putting up a fight on the sandbed. Cyano all but gone.

I'm considering adding a vortech mp10qd to get more varied water movement and to increase gas exchange. Also keeping the water level lower than top of the glass to help with this. Anyone have success with this pump?

15337348762582022206742676910134.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back