OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much to report on husbandry - I often feel like a lazy reefer! 20% water change every weekend.

Reef glass skimmer is pulling good, I change the airstone once monthly. I have to admit the addition of the mp10 has helped significantly with flow and gas exchange. I currently have it on Lagoon random mode turned to the 3rd power setting. It hits the HOB filter input and creates a semi chaotic pattern that provides good circulation.

Feeding fish nightly with frozen food. Corals get Reef Chili dispersed and target feeding for LPS twice a week.

Typical algae cycles in the beginning. I clean the glass whenever I look at the tank (daily, what can I say) since the scape is so close to the glass I do have to use a razor to clean the tight spots weekly.

My sand does get a bit dirty so I've been investigating a two spot goby. Waiting for LFS to have one in stock. I tend to stir once every other week and lightly vaccum during WCs.

I have added about 3lbs of live rock to support the arch and to add "safe" space around the torch.

All tests are normal with the exception of lower calcium and strontium which I'm dosing as needed. (I think the Monti cap and Duncan sucks up most of it...those are both growing like weeds.)

I actually forgot to list the blue lepto and Jedi mind trick undata monti in the new corals section ;Wideyed. (Updating that now!) Considering adding some pods as my clowns have gotten fat while decimating the population ;Shifty

Corals are dipped, then placed in clean tank water and blown with turkey baster for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much to report on husbandry - I often feel like a lazy reefer! 20% water change every weekend.

Reef glass skimmer is pulling good, I change the airstone once monthly. I have to admit the addition of the mp10 has helped significantly with flow and gas exchange. I currently have it on Lagoon random mode turned to the 3rd power setting. It hits the HOB filter input and creates a semi chaotic pattern that provides good circulation.

Feeding fish nightly with frozen food. Corals get Reef Chili dispersed and target feeding for LPS twice a week.

Typical algae cycles in the beginning. I clean the glass whenever I look at the tank (daily, what can I say) since the scape is so close to the glass I do have to use a razor to clean the tight spots weekly.

My sand does get a bit dirty so I've been investigating a two spot goby. Waiting for LFS to have one in stock. I tend to stir once every other week and lightly vaccum during WCs.

I have added about 3lbs of live rock to support the arch and to add "safe" space around the torch.

All tests are normal with the exception of lower calcium and strontium which I'm dosing as needed. (I think the Monti cap and Duncan sucks up most of it...those are both growing like weeds.)

I actually forgot to list the blue lepto and Jedi mind trick undata monti in the new corals section ;Wideyed. (Updating that now!) Considering adding some pods as my clowns have gotten fat while decimating the population ;Shifty

Corals are dipped, then placed in clean tank water and blown with turkey baster for 10 minutes.

Great work, it shows also ;)

A.

Bobr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad your Peppermint Shrimp got banished back to the store lol. What was your total startup cost?

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic Dump and Update.
Rearranged the scape. This is MUCH more stable and everything is now secured with epoxy and super glue.

Corals are thriving. Noticing new growth on the BOP and the stylophora.

Torch is amazing. Monti cap is out of control. Zoas loving life. I got that fire and ice colony from LFS for $40!

Frogspawn and Hammer are still adjusting to new flow and lighting, not sure they are happy just yet.

Sandbed is driving me crazy, will be adding nassarius this weekend.

Clowns haven't hosted anything but my female is moving around the torch quite a bit.

Battling some hitchiking sponges which decimated my acans by growing into their skeletons.

The second to last pic is a top-down shot, probably my favorite view currently!

IMG_20190106_161531.jpg

IMG_20190106_161757.jpg

IMG_20190106_161726.jpg

IMG_20190106_161843.jpg

IMG_20190106_173434_408.jpg

IMG_20190106_161752.jpg

IMG_20190106_161531.jpg

IMG_20190106_173434_409.jpg

IMG_20190106_161740.jpg

IMG_20190106_162001.jpg

IMG_20190106_161726.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a Red Sea Max Nano 20 to take this tank's place. The corals are all growing fantastically and I'm digging the growth I'm acheiving with the Seriatopora and Stylophora. Which led to the purchase. I. Need. More. Room. ;Drool

I've never transferred a full system to a new tank but I've read a few threads from larger tanks and have a few takeaways. Any help with the plan below would be super helpful!

1. Build Stand/Tank
2. Mix & Heat 8 gallons S/W
3. Drain 5 gallons from display
4. Place LR, coral and livestock in water from old tank
5. Move Red Sea into position (moving into same spot)
6. Add new Live Sand
7. Drain remaining 7 gallons from Fluval to Red Sea
8. Place/ Stabalize LR
9. Place Corals
10. Add fresh saltwater
11. Add livestock

Should I keep the skimmer off for the first day or so to help the bacteria take hold in the next environment?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a Red Sea Max Nano 20 to take this tank's place. The corals are all growing fantastically and I'm digging the growth I'm acheiving with the Seriatopora and Stylophora. Which led to the purchase. I. Need. More. Room. ;Drool

I've never transferred a full system to a new tank but I've read a few threads from larger tanks and have a few takeaways. Any help with the plan below would be super helpful!

1. Build Stand/Tank
2. Mix & Heat 8 gallons S/W
3. Drain 5 gallons from display
4. Place LR, coral and livestock in water from old tank
5. Move Red Sea into position (moving into same spot)
6. Add new Live Sand
7. Drain remaining 7 gallons from Fluval to Red Sea
8. Place/ Stabalize LR
9. Place Corals
10. Add fresh saltwater
11. Add livestock

Should I keep the skimmer off for the first day or so to help the bacteria take hold in the next environment?

Congratulations! I would run the skimmer. Activated Carbon as well. You may stir some stuff up into the water column even if using new sand. I always suggest one have more water on hand than you think you will need. You always need more in a move. At least have extra RO/DI ready to mix.

Curious, the new display is only a few gallons more. Probably only 16 gallons or less accounting for the water line. Not trying to be a bummer, but will this add enough upgraded space to your liking? I am sure there are other concerns involved and it is certainly a nice tank.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! I would run the skimmer. Activated Carbon as well. You may stir some stuff up into the water column even if using new sand. I always suggest one have more water on hand than you think you will need. You always need more in a move. At least have extra RO/DI ready to mix.

Curious, the new display is only a few gallons more. Probably only 16 gallons or less accounting for the water line. Not trying to be a bummer, but will this add enough upgraded space to your liking? I am sure there are other concerns involved and it is certainly a nice tank.

Thanks for the advice on skimmer and extra water. Yeah, while it is only a few gallons larger, it does have a different "footprint" than the Fluval. The Red Sea is 18"x 18"x 18" (LxWxH) vs the Fluval at 16.9" x 10.2" x 23.4". The extra length and width for me is critical as it will allow me to re-aquascape & provide more room for coral placement and growth.

For example - my torch is currently dominating the mid to upper right-hand side of the Fluval; forcing all the other corals to the left-hand side of the tank to avoid stings. I'd like to move him down to the sandbed in the Red Sea - which isn't an option in the Fluval due to aquascape and flow. Moving the torch alone should allow more room for sticks, but I will also be trimming back the Monti cap, Xenia, and some of the Zoas (which may get placed into the Zoa Garden tank). :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a Torch can present a real challenge in a small tank for sure. Can be really nasty.

OP
OP
Contrariwise

Contrariwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So turns out Red Sea is out of stock on almost all tanks currently (sounds like they are going to release the max series with their own Lights).

That said, my LFS was able to secure a Red Sea Max E-170. So we're moving up even more in size! :)

This of course changes my moving plans. I think I'll need to actually cycle the new tank before transferring as I will be adding an additional 20(ish) lbs of dry rock.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back