Getting into SPS need a few suggestions

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been slowly accumulating a few different SPS corals lately. Currently, I have a Birdsnest, Garf Bonsai, Bubble gum digi, Paletta tricolor, TSA Pineapple Juice, Pink Floyd, Purple Stylophora and few encrusting SPS. I was considering getting a box from battle corals, but wasn’t sure what types are really difficult or unlikely to keep their color.
So far all my current pieces are doing well, but the Pink Floyd remains solid green, and mostly just encrusting over the last 6 months. As far as I’m aware that is probably my most difficult piece that I have. I‘m not necessarily looking to get any of the top of the line pieces since I don’t really know how well they will do in my tank. I’m also not looking to spend a bunch on another “green” coral. So are there any Classics out there that I should consider that typically keep their color?

For lights I’m running 4x54 T5 with 2 AI LED fixtures
nitrate runs between 5-10
phos .1
alk 10
Cal 415
ph 8.15
mg 1245

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oregon Blue Tort! Beautiful classic.

Also, Adam @ Battle Corals is really responsive and if you tell him your concerns he'll help tailor some selections for you. (His corals are really hardy, in my experience).

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkins Enchinata, Red Dragon, any of the torts, any lower end tenuis, some of the common/known millis (JF Solar Flare, etc.). Those in my experience have all been pretty easy to keep and grow well.

I believe you can specify what type of corals you want in your box. Most people seem to have a great experience with Adam picking out great corals for them. I'd go for it! However, if you aren't confident, you may be better off "cherry picking" the pieces you think you can keep alive with good colors.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Red Planet, Miyagi Tort, Cali Tort, PC Rainbow and Pearlberry. All are gorgeous and should be easy to keep.

Pete80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for pc Rainbow, couple torts,red planet etc...
if you struggling with yellows-lower your phosphate or check the iron
also I’d consider to keep alk little lower than 10

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox Flame, ASD Rainbow Milli, SSC, Pink Lemondade, Red Planet has been mentioned. Just a few off the top of my head. All should be reasonably priced and look as good as any.

Back