Getting new LED lights- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Elle22, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Elle22

Elle22 Active Member

I posted a similar thread a while back, but since then my budget has increased. I am looking for suggestions for lights to go over my reef tank. I am trying to create a mixed reef, but I would like to grow SPS and acros so I know I need a higher powered light source for that.
    Black box less were commonly suggested, but I think I would prefer to go with more of a name brand especially because I am going to be leaving for college in a year and I need to put faith in something that I cannot fix when I am away from home.

I have a 30 gallon tank I need to light has dimensions: 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" (60 cm x 50 cm x 42cm ). Cost is still something I have to keep in mind, and unfortunately I cannot afford the G4 radions everyone loves, if that is a good indication of where I am price wise.
    I currently have the JBJ orion Lt-120 lights that came with my tank. While they have done a good job for less demanding corals, I know I need an upgrade to advance my tank and the coral in it.

Thank you and I can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions!

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I love my Maxspect Ethereal, but they can be a pain in the butt to set up initially. I have had some connectivity issues between the light and the wifi controller but now that I have the scheduling dialed in it's not an issue :)

If you don't want to spend as much, wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday holiday sales, I expect we'll be seeing all sorts of discounts on reefkeeping equipment around that time!

3. BrettMallette

BrettMallette Active Member

I love my hydra 26. Kind of a pain to get right color spectrum without using someone elses program to start with.

4. LetItReef

LetItReef Valuable Member

A 360w Kessil for that size.

Draft saved Draft deleted