Getting New Magnificent Foxface to Eat

mynameisnick4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a new Magnificent Foxface on 8/10 and am struggling to get him to eat. From everything I can tell he is healthy. He doesn't look skinny, though this is my first Foxface so I am not sure what their fully plump size looks like. His behavior seems on par with what I have read about Foxefaces, a bit skiddish and bounces between his camo and normal colors when I am around the tank.

As far as treating him with meds go, I did an initial treatment of Prazipro on 8/12 then the second on 8/19. I plan to change out 15 gallons (20 gallon QT) of water next Wednesday.

So far I have tried these foods; reef frenzy , mysis, and nori. Both frozen foods he was pretty disinterested, taking a couple bites and spitting it back out but largely ignoring it. With nori I have tried a clip on the glass, a clip on the bottom of the tank (this trick got my sailfin tang to eat in QT), attached to a lose piece of dry rock, and attached to a PVC pipe he tends to hang out behind.

The only time I have seen him touch the nori is when I go take out the piece he didn't touch and it starts to break apart from being in the tank for so long. He has grabbed one of the tiny lose floating pieces but spits it back out.

Having put multiple fish through QT at this point I know they can be hesitant to eat early on but hes coming up on two weeks without having touched food. I have a camera on the tank that records so I have the ability to watch him (since they can be shy when you are in front of the tank) but I haven't seen any feeding activity.

So my questions are:
  • At what point should I really start worrying that he isn't eating? Two weeks, three weeks?
  • Are there any other foods I should try giving him? The only other things I have on hand that I haven't tried are Reef Nutrition TDO pellets and garlic additive.
  • Any general tips to get him to eat?
I have attached a few pics of him as well.

Thanks!

20200812_164253.jpg 20200812_164255.jpg 20200812_184306.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard they love nori, if that doesn’t work try adding garlic to it to spice it up! Good luck

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list of fish refusing live Brine Shrimp is short. I’d try that to possibly at least get her going. You can gut load them with a variety of enhancements (baby food, sweet potatoes, peas, phyto, et) to complete the nutritional profile. If she bites at those its a easy path from there to frozen/prepared. I have the Lo species mine loves raw shrimp and ulva

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above pretty much any macro not cheato, mine especially likes caulerpa brachypus.
Good luck.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live macro would be a good touch as well as live black worms or even live brine.

I've seen too many fish succumb to internal parasites not to start worrying right away. Prazi only takes care of some of the common parasites, you will need to include metroplex to cover a broader range of parasites and intestinal worms. More and more I'm seeing metro being needed and prazi pro alone not cutting it, general cure contains both.

OP
OP
M

mynameisnick4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live macro would be a good touch as well as live black worms or even live brine.

I've seen too many fish succumb to internal parasites not to start worrying right away. Prazi only takes care of some of the common parasites, you will need to include metroplex to cover a broader range of parasites and intestinal worms. More and more I'm seeing metro being needed and prazi pro alone not cutting it, general cure contains both.
I have metroplex along with focus that I used to proactively treat some figure 8 puffers several years ago. If I can get him to eat anything I can try that combo. I've never tried dosing metroplex to the water column though. I'm going to swing by the LFS today to see if there is any of the food recommendations there.

Back