Rating - 0%
0   0   0

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want some powerheads in there, for a 180 probably 4 or 5 of them. And heaters. I'd suggest 2 heaters 300w each.

If you're committed, then I'd get a heater, powerhead, brute trashcan and buy your rock now so you can start curing/cycling it in saltwater while you're getting the tank together. Longer is better, so if the tank is stil 2-3 months out your rock can sit and be an excellent base to start things.

The BRS 5 minute guide is a quick and simple way to start getting into the nuts and bolts, and if you have time then the 52 weeks of reefing series is also a good foundation. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/category/5-minute-saltwater-aquarium-guide

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're getting some good advice already. Glad to have you with us.

OP
OP
Rsmith4857

Rsmith4857

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want some powerheads in there, for a 180 probably 4 or 5 of them. And heaters. I'd suggest 2 heaters 300w each.

If you're committed, then I'd get a heater, powerhead, brute trashcan and buy your rock now so you can start curing/cycling it in saltwater while you're getting the tank together. Longer is better, so if the tank is stil 2-3 months out your rock can sit and be an excellent base to start things.

The BRS 5 minute guide is a quick and simple way to start getting into the nuts and bolts, and if you have time then the 52 weeks of reefing series is also a good foundation. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/category/5-minute-saltwater-aquarium-guide
Thanks for the tips

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just getting ready to build a new reef tank, I am starting with 180g tank and planning on using a sump, skimmer, and return pump, refugeium, lights,
What other equipment do I need just to get started.
wavemakers and RODI system! +1 Love that your starting with a big old tank, and welcome!! Happy reefing!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Aboard R2R!!! Sounds like a good start, need power heads for in-tank flow. And has been said...RODI and more RODI. I like 50% of tank volume ready to go for emergencies in some combination of DI and ready saltwater but for that volume 25% might be ok. Just make sure and get high capacity RODI system so you're not waiting 24 hours to make < half the water you need when you really need it.

Good luck!!!

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Rsmith4857
It’s awesome that you’ve joined us here at Reef Excellence.

You’ll be a reefing expert in no time with the help of all the
super friendly,
super awesome
super positive, and
super knowledgeable, smart & clever participants that frequent this forum.
There’s no bad or misleading advice given out around here.

Buy a – refractometer & test kits- alk, mag, calcium, PO4, NO3, their the basics. And an ammonia test kit for when first cycling tank.

C U round the Reef

Steve :)

1581018201991.png

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back