Getting really worried about my DaVinci clown!

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and got 2 clownfish a little over about a month ago. Bought them from 2 different LFS. Each was in a tank without any other clowns. My snowflake clown has recently started VERY AGRESSIVELY chasing the Davinci clown around my tank. The DaVinci now seems to spend a lot of time hiding in the rock instead of happily swimming about as he did before. He is even afraid to come out at feeding time. The snowflake also does a shuddering movement toward the Davinci. How concerned shiuld I be with all of this? Is it a mating ritual, or truely agressive behavior? I am afraid if this keeps up, the snowflake may have to find another home :( Also in the tank are a blue damsel, a chromi, a yellow tang, and a black cap basslet. The snowflake doesn't bother any of them. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and got 2 clownfish a little over about a month ago. Bought them from 2 different LFS. Each was in a tank without any other clowns. My snowflake clown has recently started VERY AGRESSIVELY chasing the Davinci clown around my tank. The DaVinci now seems to spend a lot of time hiding in the rock instead of happily swimming about as he did before. He is even afraid to come out at feeding time. The snowflake also does a shuddering movement toward the Davinci. How concerned shiuld I be with all of this? Is it a mating ritual, or truely agressive behavior? I am afraid if this keeps up, the snowflake may have to find another home :( Also in the tank are a blue damsel, a chromi, a yellow tang, and a black cap basslet. The snowflake doesn't bother any of them. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
If they're around the same size, they're basically figuring out which one will become female (dominant) and which one will be male. Normal behavior until they figure it out.

OP
OP
Mustangtodd97

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snowflake is slightly larger than the DaVinci. Howling does this process take? I feed them pellet food and am nervous the DaVinci is not getting enough to eat. Also worried about him dying from stress?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, you want to watch for actual contact. See if the Da Vinci ever shakes its tail at her and lays on the side. That is submission to her. Make sure they are both eating. Corner the DaVinci off somewhere to feed if you need to. But, try to let them work it out. If you see the DaVinci in destress (breathing hard, lethargic, spots, tears on fins, etc) get him or the snowflake out.

OP
OP
Mustangtodd97

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, you want to watch for actual contact. See if the Da Vinci ever shakes its tail at her and lays on the side. That is submission to her. Make sure they are both eating. Corner the DaVinci off somewhere to feed if you need to. But, try to let them work it out. If you see the DaVinci in destress (breathing hard, lethargic, spots, tears on fins, etc) get him or the snowflake out.

This seems to be getting worse. Davinci basically never swims around anymore. Snowflake corners him in the rock and won't let him out unless i intervien. He is being bullied... badly. How long is this going to go on? Its been over 2 weeks of this and it seems only to have gotten worse. Hard for me to believe they are ever going to pair up. Should i evict the snowflake? I grow more concerned every day Davinci is going to die from stress? What should i do. Need help. All opinions welcome!!!

David Bell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to do as stated above to curb the aggression. I would certainly separate them somehow. I would put the snowflake in the box since that is the aggressor.

OP
OP
Mustangtodd97

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its been almost a month since this started. I have a smaller tank (45 gallon)with a lot of rock, so no acclimation box. My snowflake will be going to a friend's quarantine tank for a week or 2. Does anyone think this will help in the long run? I fear i may have just been unlucky and got clowns that just don't like eachother and are never going to pair up. All advice appreciated...

David Bell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think splitting them up into two different tanks will be a problem in the long run and you will have issues reintroducing them again. There is a chance (probably not in a short time frame as you are doing though) that both might turn female. Keeping them in the same tank with an acclimation box separating them would be better since they will still see each other and become familiar with each other still. There is a less likelihood that both will be female. However, it is definitely hard to say.

OP
OP
Mustangtodd97

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1520.JPG
You might want to get a acclimation box (https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-acclimation-box-can-this-thing-really-work.16/) to separate them. keep the acclimation box in your tank so both fish can see each other. maybe in 2-4 weeks, let the fish out of the box and see if they are having issues still. if there are issues, return the clown to your LFS and purchase another one if you want.

Ok. Snowflake is in the acclimation box (fish jail). So how long do i leave herin there for?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back