Getting rid of cyano

  • Thread starter Thread starter ahl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ahl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2017
Messages
162
Reaction score
86
Location
Miami, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I've had a cyano problemnfor a while now. I've cleaned it to the extreme, removed part of the sand and rinsed it, brushed it off rocks and it comes right back.
Any sugestions?

PO4 is at 0 1
NO3 is at 5ppm

Both using API test kits

Light schedule is attached
b81675b5369645f3b1d44f84009bbc36.jpg
5f14e4ffb2e22af484cfc18c0834c897.jpg
8cec150bb714533393d3044c87233263.jpg
 
Ya it sucks to get rid of. They make a chemical treatment might be worth looking into. I have it too but doesn't bother me too much
 
chemi-clean will clear it fast but pay attention to the instructions to the letter, I have used it with no problems at all, skimmer will go crazy for a while, but you will still need to find what is causing the cyno in the first place
 
I would use chemi clean but I also like to add a bacterial supplement after treatment. You want to kill the cyano and replace it with the correct bacteria. Otherwise if any cyano survives it might just grow back and fill the open niche.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new