Getting rid of my tank

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if this is the right discussion to put this thread in. If it isn't just let me know.
Anyway it is time to unfortunately get rid of my reef tank. I need to get rid of everything so I will start off as selling it as a complete set up. If people want to buy things individually that is great. Anyway I need help trying to come up with a reasonable price for my whole set up. It is a 40 gallon mixed reef tank. It houses several colonies of corals, clam, fish, etc.
It has two Aquaknight lights and canister filter as filtration. I am not looking at selling the tank here at the marketplace. I just need help with pricing. I don't want to go too cheap nor go too expensive. I am not in a rush yet to give away either
20230721_164006.jpg
20230915_173453.jpg
either. These two pictures are not updated pictures (there is more fish and a lot more of the corals have gotten bigger.) Any advice?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll always get less selling as a whole then splitting it up. I always sell at 10%-20% of what I paid. That sells stuff pretty fast. Have sold two full setups and it takes a while but with a 54 mid grade setup only got 500 even though had 5k into it. My guess would be someone would take your whole setup for 250-300 but may take a while. If you sell just your livestock you may be close to that then sell the tank stand and lights cheap and rock either with livestock or separate. Usually about 2-3 per pound. May make 400 or so.

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what was said, you'll never get near what you put into it. I see used tanks all the time where people want 600-700 and they're for sale for months without getting touched. If you're not hurting for the money and want to get rid of it quick then 250-300 would be a good deal.

If you're not in a huge rush but want mor money out of it, then definitely selling your livestock and then all the equipment would be the best bet in my opinion for getting extra cash.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a complete list of your equipment and livestock.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell the live stock, then the lights, dump the tank and filter for cheap. Market is flooded with used tanks in my area. No way are you going to get retail of what you paid for everything. Maybe half at best if you find the right buyer or stimulus checks come back.

As soon as you drive the car off the lot…

OP
OP
Prehistoric Reefs

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool, I will take your guys advice! That does make a lot of sense. Getting money from my tank would be great but the end of the day I just want to give the livestock a good home. I live in an area where there isn't a whole lot of people that keep saltwater tanks. If selling separate would be easier for both the inhabitants of my tank and for myself. I will do that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back