Getting the ions right: Do you dose magnesium?

Do you dose magnesium?

• Yes, I currently dose magnesium

Votes: 236 60.4%
  • No, I do not currently dose magnesium

Votes: 92 23.5%
  • I have not dosed magnesium

Votes: 53 13.6%
  • What’s magnesium?

Votes: 10 2.6%

• Total voters

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed magnesium for the last 2.5 years. It has never varied more than 50ppm in all that time. [1350ppm +/-50] Thank you All-for-Reef for keeping my 200l Nano tank in balance. And at a reasonable price! lol sounds like an ad. Need a little jingle.

not sponsored

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed magnesium for the last 2.5 years. It has never varied more than 50ppm in all that time. [1350ppm +/-50] Thank you All-for-Reef for keeping my 200l Nano tank in balance. And at a reasonable price! lol sounds like an ad. Need a little jingle.

not sponsored
May I confirm this is a ~50 gallon softies tank? I ask as I am slowly moving my softies to 45 g marineland tall 45 and would like this solution. I assume you might boost alkalinity once in awhile

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test and correct weekly if I remember

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose with red sea buy could never keep things that stable. Put in a calcium reactor and use material for kh Calc and magnesium everything is very stable now.

IPT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had to dose magnesium. I don't check often but when I do it's always been 1400ish. I use a 50/50 mix of instant ocean and reef crystals
Just curious how you attain a 50/50 mix that is truly 50/50, or do you eyeball it? Do you test the parameters after you mix each batch? What are your typical tank parameters?

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how you attain a 50/50 mix that is truly 50/50, or do you eyeball it? Do you test the parameters after you mix each batch? What are your typical tank parameters?

16 cups of one and 16 cups of the other. No science involved so it's probably not a 100% 50/50 but close enough for me. Alk stays around 8.5 but I drip kalk 24/7 and dose 30ml bionic 2 part alk only in one system of about 220g total. The other system of 40g parameters are about the same and I dose 5ml alk with no kalk. Calcium is 500+ on both so in haven't dosed calcium in a month or 2. Magnesium I only check once in a while and it is always around 1400 so I don't test often. I just set up another tank a month ago and parameters are about the same. I do not test when I mix and never have. I spend enough time testing tanks because I struggle with low N and P on 2 systems to bother testing my fresh mixed water. Corals look good so that's good enough for me. I try to keep things simple. I'll look for issues when I see a concern, coral not happy etc but I do not look for problems. I'm not much of a science guy.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I confirm this is a ~50 gallon softies tank? I ask as I am slowly moving my softies to 45 g marineland tall 45 and would like this solution. I assume you might boost alkalinity once in awhile
My tank is a LPS/SPS tank. You can click on my profile to view my build thread. I do not boost anything. I dose as suggested and test to assist dialing in the parameters into the amounts I want and they hold there. Steadily. All three, Alk, Cal, and Mag are tied together in amounts that are necessary for coral growth. It is super complicated and deals with chemistry way above my pay-grade. The product is called Tropic Marin All-For-Reef.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a LPS/SPS tank. You can click on my profile to view my build thread. I do not boost anything. I dose as suggested and test to assist dialing in the parameters into the amounts I want and they hold there. Steadily. All three, Alk, Cal, and Mag are tied together in amounts that are necessary for coral growth. It is super complicated and deals with chemistry way above my pay-grade. The product is called Tropic Marin All-For-Reef.
My understanding is formula containing calcium formate (or something similar) that is digested to add alkalinity slowly by bacteria. I would think there is a break in period to stabilize like all other reef systems. I'll look at build and get back to you!! Thank you. Higher alkalinity tanks like SPS might not keep up so curious.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t dose Magnesium, because when I check it is always on the high end. I have Magnesium in my well water, and I don’t think my RO/DI removes all of it. I also have Iron in my well water, and the RO/DI removes enough of it I don’t have crazy algae blooms.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t dose Magnesium, because when I check it is always on the high end. I have Magnesium in my well water, and I don’t think my RO/DI removes all of it. I also have Iron in my well water, and the RO/DI removes enough of it I don’t have crazy algae blooms.

It's certainly possible that some magneisum is getting through, but magnesium is easily removed by both RO and DI parts of an RO/DI, and if the output is 0 ppm TDS, I doubt ththere's much magneisum getting through.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do automatic continuous water changes and have managed to maintain my Mg through raising the Mg of my NSW to 1450. Annoyingly Red Sea Blue bucket seems to mix low on Mg. Switching to AF salt soon as it’s cheaper and shouldn’t require as much Mg addition. Should save $13 a batch in doing so!

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using ATI 2 part dosing about three years ago. The Calcium supp has magnesium in it. I do mail in testing about every one to two months and my Mg levels have been spot on as long as the calcium is in range. Have never had to supplement

Back