Getting the next generation started.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest son has shown no interest, but my middle one has been asking for his own tank. While he was away at his cousins house we redecorated his room and found the perfect spot for a 20 gallon long. So we set that up and he picked out a pair of frostbite clowns and a blue chromis. Of course I had enough stuff laying around to get this set up, so it’s a cheap lesson in responsibility that hopefully will give him as much pleasure as it does me.

513B697A-A028-484D-B438-D4146FBE2463.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the trick here is to keep the learning and enthusiasm up over the long haul.

If you don't mind my asking, how old is he?

Suggestions: get him on R2R if he's old enough. Take him to the ocean. You're in Georgia, take him to the Georgia Aquarium. Take him snorkeling in the Florida Keys for vacation!

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out with the truth!
You just wanted another 20g but were too afraid to ask the wife

how much did you pay him? Asking for a friend (totally not me)

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son started to show some interest. It took a few things, going on a snail hunt every morning around the tank (rimless and a couple of curious guys) and the second is when the BTA split. After this he started to ask a lot more about a lot of things he saw me do and creatures inside.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the trick here is to keep the learning and enthusiasm up over the long haul.

If you don't mind my asking, how old is he?

Suggestions: get him on R2R if he's old enough. Take him to the ocean. You're in Georgia, take him to the Georgia Aquarium. Take him snorkeling in the Florida Keys for vacation!

He’s 8. He’s very independent and responsible, but a long ways from joining forums.

We are outside of Atlanta and visit the aquarium frequently. I plan to do the overnight behind the scenes thing with him as soon as they resume post-plandemic operations.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out with the truth!
You just wanted another 20g but were too afraid to ask the wife

how much did you pay him? Asking for a friend (totally not me)
Ha. Fortunately I don’t have that problem. I’m a business owner and my wife doesn’t work or involve herself in the finances. I was already established in business, my home, hobbies etc when she came along, so she doesn’t ask questions. I take good care of her and she doesn’t bother me about money. Honestly, I feel very fortunate when I see guys talking about having to get permission or hide things from their wives.

He actually asked for a tank for Christmas(part of a long list) and didn’t get it. He’s asked a few other times as well, but is very patient, understanding and appreciative. He’s a good kid and he deserves it.

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a kid myself I suggest taking him to an aquarium or better yet snorkeling. While my parents have no interest in the hobby I am a certified scuba diver and seeing the reefs of the world sparked my passion.

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my wife keeps a chameleon. I built her a fully automated, bioactive vivarium palace for her ‘Cletus’. This was not a cheap or easy endeavor. They are not easy or simple to care for. It’s almost as complicated as reefing. So it’d be tough for her to complain about the aquariums.

When I told her I was building a fish room in the basement, she didn’t bat an eye. She says “oh, cool”.

85B10518-A023-4CD0-82FA-BC505F61CF0B.jpeg

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a kid myself I suggest taking him to an aquarium or better yet snorkeling. While my parents have no interest in the hobby I am a certified scuba diver and seeing the reefs of the world sparked my passion.
My parents were scuba divers and I got into it at 11(had to lie about my age to take the course) That is definitely something I would love to do with him in a couple years. I haven’t been on a dive in almost 20 years.

I see you’re from Tampa. I’m originally from Clearwater but in Atlanta now. I’d maybe like to get back down there some day.

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents were scuba divers and I got into it at 11(had to lie about my age to take the course) That is definitely something I would love to do with him in a couple years. I haven’t been on a dive in almost 20 years.
Haha! When he gets older definetely take him out :)

Back