GFCI Just Started to Constantly Trip

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my system running through a small GFCI extension cord that is then plugged into my wall outlet. It's been running like this for some time, but recently the GFCI started to trip. When I try and reset it, it stays on for maybe 5 seconds and trips again, if I let it off for a half hour it'll run for maybe 20 min and then trip again. The only recent changes I've made is swapping a new DC pump on my Skimz skimmer. I do have a grounding probe on my system.

My question is:

1. What would cause the GFCI to trip? (not physically as in the likelihood it's this new pump, but from an electricians perspective what's causing it to constantly trip)
2. I removed the GFCI and plugged in directly to the wall and the system has been running fine for hours, is this safe?
3. Any other pointers or suggestions?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It has sensed a ground fault and is doing what it is supposed to or it has failed

2.There is no way for us to tell. Very possibly not safe.

3. You need a meter and some testing to tell. Not hard to do.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course this is after you've determined that there is no leaking voltage from heaters and pumps causing the trip.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input; I don't believe the wall outlet has a GFCI, this is why i added my own on the small extension.

1. If it has sensed a ground fault why would it work for say 30 min one time then shut off in seconds the next? Curious, not questioning your judgement :)

Does my grounding probe help the situation at all?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input; I don't believe the wall outlet has a GFCI, this is why i added my own on the small extension.

1. If it has sensed a ground fault why would it work for say 30 min one time then shut off in seconds the next? Curious, not questioning your judgement [emoji4]

A loose wire in an outlet, or a failing outlet on the circuit could cause this. I had a similar issue since i have an exterior outlet wired to my tank room. Left the housing open, let just enough water in to trip the gfci circuit randomly when dripping.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like your GFCI has gone bad. I would replace the wall outlet with a GFCI with a built in alarm.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like your GFCI has gone bad. I would replace the wall outlet with a GFCI with a built in alarm.

So, i'm starting to think the same... I just checked on the wires and everything is quite cool, the GFCI was warm when it was tripping. I rent, so this is another reason why I invested in an extension cord style GFCI.

FWIW I bought this GFCI on Amazon, anyone have any recommendations on a better quality product?

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF your handy you can build your own. 12 gauge power cord,exterior electrical box, GFCI, and I would use a bubble cover to keep any splashes out.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my system running through a small GFCI extension cord that is then plugged into my wall outlet. It's been running like this for some time, but recently the GFCI started to trip. When I try and reset it, it stays on for maybe 5 seconds and trips again, if I let it off for a half hour it'll run for maybe 20 min and then trip again. The only recent changes I've made is swapping a new DC pump on my Skimz skimmer. I do have a grounding probe on my system.

My question is:

1. What would cause the GFCI to trip? (not physically as in the likelihood it's this new pump, but from an electricians perspective what's causing it to constantly trip)
2. I removed the GFCI and plugged in directly to the wall and the system has been running fine for hours, is this safe?
3. Any other pointers or suggestions?

Some of the GFCI adapters, like the Yellow Jacket one, say in the fine print "not for continuous use." I don't know if yours is the same in that respect.

Also, have you added anything extra to the plugs? Maybe the draw is too high for the adapter?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
unplug the skimmer and see if it still trips. If not, you've eliminated that component, then go on to the next component until you find culprit.
Could also be a short or faulty ground.
Cheapest bet is to start with the GFCI and change it. If you get the tripping yet, again start with disconnecting each component for several hours until you locate the culprit

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unplug the skimmer and see if it still trips. If not, you've eliminated that component, then go on to the next component until you find culprit.
Could also be a short or faulty ground.
Cheapest bet is to start with the GFCI and change it. If you get the tripping yet, again start with disconnecting each component for several hours until you locate the culprit

I did this, nothing seemed to make a difference. I've got a new GFCI on the way. If i end up with the same problem, then i clearly missed something causing the circuit to fail.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the GFCI adapters, like the Yellow Jacket one, say in the fine print "not for continuous use." I don't know if yours is the same in that respect.

Also, have you added anything extra to the plugs? Maybe the draw is too high for the adapter?

It's been running in the sam manner for about a year now. I tested without that new skimmer pump and it still shut off; nothing else has changed. Going to try a new GFCI and go from there.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did this, nothing seemed to make a difference. I've got a new GFCI on the way. If i end up with the same problem, then i clearly missed something causing the circuit to fail.
when I had a similar past issue, it was one of my lights. T5 opposed to LED has a significant power draw on start up. Other culprit may be return pump especially if there is foreign matter such as chaeto, etc stuck in impeller hole causing it to work harder or become intermittent.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Me personally, with weekend approaching, I would buy a ground fault receptacle (in-wall) and shut down circuit to that outlet and remove regular receptacle and install new GFCI and reconnect wires the same , and restore power and you have a regular full time GFCI instead of portable. Should take you 5 minutes and worth it.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. If it has sensed a ground fault why would it work for say 30 min one time then shut off in seconds the next? Curious, not questioning your judgement :)

This makes me wonder if it is your heater. Like has been suggested unplug one piece of equipment at a time until you find it.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally, with weekend approaching, I would buy a ground fault receptacle (in-wall) and shut down circuit to that outlet and remove regular receptacle and install new GFCI and reconnect wires the same , and restore power and you have a regular full time GFCI instead of portable. Should take you 5 minutes and worth it.

My tank sets right in front of the outlet so this would take hours, that's why I went with the extension cord style. My understanding is the extension cord GFCI is no different than an in wall, at least the kind I bought that is...?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back