GFO Offline Or Reduce GFO

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short my PO4 has been hovering around 0.11 and just beat a GHA problem and added GFO last week to bring down to 0.05 range. I have test every other day.Since 3 days back has been at 0.02 on the hanna tester. Now the question is should I reduce the amount of GFO in half and hope that it slightly raises and maintains it there or take the GFO offline? Also what coming out of my GFO reads as well 0.02 does that mean it’s depleted?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it in place, although you could reduce the amount if you want to, but phosphate wants to be less than around 0.03 ideally so run it 24/7. If you reduce it, it will need changing more frequently

If my Hanna reads 0 I’m delighted because it has a margin of error and that means I don’t need to change the rowaphos yet. And it’s unlikely to be 0 with the amount of livestock etc.

As far as the output reading, it could be test error, or it could mean its getting ready to change. I change mine at around 0.04-6 but I also use rowaphos in large amounts to avoid the frequent changes.

There’s not necessarily any right or wrong way, all systems are different so adept it to your own requirements

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very close to optimal. When my Hanna starts reading below 0.03 or zero I just feed accordingly to compensate until it's in range. I'd be fine with 0.02 if it stayed around there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back