GFO reactor

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use a reactor with only GFO? I usually go 70-30 carbon GFO but I’m trying to lower phosphate so I went 100% GFO (measured to my specific tank volume). My question is when you turn the reactor on does the GFO suck to the top of the canister? I reduced the flow and it falls and I make it tumble at the top a little. Is this the correct way or should I have the whole thing tumbling?

my phosphate was at .21today btw and my SPS and GSP (especially the gsp) isn’t really growing. The gsp isn’t encrusting anymore and expanding, it looks great just stopped spreading.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use a reactor with only GFO? I usually go 70-30 carbon GFO but I’m trying to lower phosphate so I went 100% GFO (measured to my specific tank volume). My question is when you turn the reactor on does the GFO suck to the top of the canister? I reduced the flow and it falls and I make it tumble at the top a little. Is this the correct way or should I have the whole thing tumbling?

my phosphate was at .21today btw and my SPS and GSP (especially the gsp) isn’t really growing. The gsp isn’t encrusting anymore and expanding, it looks great just stopped spreading.

Just the top needs to tumble gently.

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a custom Lifereef fluidized media reactor on both a reef tank and freshwater tank. They work great. Keep the flow low, and do not over fill with GFO as it solidifies and blocks flow over time. less is more. And BRS sells high capacity GFO so even less is more.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a custom Lifereef fluidized media reactor on both a reef tank and freshwater tank. They work great. Keep the flow low, and do not over fill with GFO as it solidifies and blocks flow over time. less is more. And BRS sells high capacity GFO so even less is more.
I used their recommendation for amount. I’m using their mini reactor. It’s about 3/4 full with the top moving slightly

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, when you first turn it on the GFO will rise up....I just tap on the side of the reactor and it falls to the bottom. You just want the top layer to be gently tumbling. Any more than that and it will produce a lot of fines which you don't want in your tank.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the biochurn reactor. I make sure top is moving a little for sure. With the biochurn reactor. All of my media is constantly moving. It works fantastic for gfo!

I run my carbon in different reactor. I actually use effluent from carbon as feed water to gfo. Since the biochurn has seperate pump in reactor for turning the media, you can dial it in wherever you want regardless of the flow for effluient.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back