GFO source of Silica?

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my latest Triton ICP noted elevated silicon. I’ve had higher silicon levels on and off, with occasional diatom outbreaks, I’ve checked my source RO/DI water (multistage, spectrapure DI), which has always been clean. However the recent help tab on Triton now lists GFO as a possible source of silicon. Here’s the text:

Check for possible contamination source. To help you in finding the source of error, we have listed the most frequent sources of contamination for silicon (sorted in descending order of frequency):

1. RO/DI Supply
2. Iron based phosphate remover (not RowaPhos or PhosBan)
3. SIPORAX Type media
4. Ceramics

I use BRS High capacity GFO on a regular basis. Is it possible, that as Triton seems to be suggesting, that BRS GFO might be a source rather than removing it? Perhaps their stock is already loaded with silicates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level of Si was observed?

I do not know why the say it can be a source. Perhaps some brands are washed in water that may contain it.

In general, silicate at any level is no concern unless the diatoms are an aesthetic problem. I dosed silicate regularly.

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it’s only an aesthetic problem... I’d like to be able to keep the diatoms off the sand bed.

Levels are only 286 µg/l on the last test. Diatoms come and go so it’s not a horrible plague by any means.

I also rinse my GFO in tap water. My impression had been that wouldn’t be long enough to cause an issue.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level of Si was observed?

I do not know why the say it can be a source. Perhaps some brands are washed in water that may contain it.

In general, silicate at any level is no concern unless the diatoms are an aesthetic problem. I dosed silicate regularly.
I’ve been reading about dosing silicates to cause diatom bloom to battle Dino’s?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading about dosing silicates to cause diatom bloom to battle Dino’s?

I dosed it to support organisms such as sponges. The diatoms actually clouded the glass less than the green algae they replaced in my system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it’s only an aesthetic problem... I’d like to be able to keep the diatoms off the sand bed.

Levels are only 286 µg/l on the last test. Diatoms come and go so it’s not a horrible plague by any means.

I also rinse my GFO in tap water. My impression had been that wouldn’t be long enough to cause an issue.

I might switch to RO/DI rinsing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an old article from Dana Riddle showing GFO rapidly removed silicates from seawater reducing silica from nearly 20 ppm to 0 in less than 24 hours.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is certainly what the literature claims:

"Silica removal from seawater and freshwater aquariums"

Interactions of Silica with Iron Oxides: Effects on Oxide Transformations and Sorption Properties https://www.osti.gov/etdeweb/servlets/purl/185832
It has been my experience too. A long time ago I tested for and lowered Si levels using GFO on a tank that I took care of.

I'm confused as to why Triton would claim this.

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been my experience too. A long time ago I tested for and lowered Si levels using GFO on a tank that I took care of.

I'm confused as to why Triton would claim this.

I was definitely confused. My only thought was what Randy said that maybe some vendors have stuff that’s already loaded with silicates from rinsing or something. They do clearly state to use Phosban or Rowaphos brands to lower silicon. I didn’t know if anyone had experience with different brands and silicon.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back