GFO Tumbling- New to this

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my BRS GFO/Carbon reactor over the weekend. I hooked it up saturday by pulling the included sponges out and putting 1 cup of GFO in, I did not put the sponges back in. The first day it was tumbling from top to bottom, now its stitting at the bottom and I can tell flow is getting through as its almost looks like the GFO is boiling, but I thought it was supposed to be tumbling a lot more that this. Did I set it up wrong? Am I supposed to use the sponges that were int he cannister, I thought this was only used for carbon?

I can confirm that the flow is going in the right direction.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You actually don't want it to be tumbling (carbon or GFO). The sponges are there simply to prevent the contents from emptying into your tank. Typically you'll place the carbon and/or GFO between a barrier and/or 1-2 sponges to keep it in-place.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah wrong setup.

Open the can up, dump and retain the gfo and wash out the tube. Clean sponge at the bottom, replace the gfo, clean sponge up top.

I set the flow through gfo to where it looks like it's vibrating, not boiling. It shouldn't be full on tumbling.

The valve on the output is best for setting the flow rate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back