Gha has won tank breakdown

Paulandreti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just lost for words at this point. Gha has won the war and I’m breaking down my reefer 450 only after 10 months I’m beyond devastated. Let me tell you how I failed. Tank went wet last March and I slowly added fish the next month or 2 as they passed qt they were introduced. Everything was good for a couple more months until I started adding sps and some acropora, I now know way too soon for sps, and noticed they didn’t like my clean water. Mind you I had the bottom sump turned into a chaeto department with some miracle mud running reverse cycle. Chaeto never really grew only some brown hair algae and every 3 weeks or so I would take my turbo snails from my dt and put them in the sump to clean the algae and then after a few days back in my dt.

That was going on for a couple months until I decided I needed to up my nutrients to help my sps. Started dosing me coral nitrate got my n03 up to 5 ppm and stable and didn’t need to dose n03 to keep it up anymore. Had to dose a good amount of p04 to keep it detectable in my Hanna ulr Meter. Mind you I had zero algae growing in my dt. So I realized it was counter productive to grow chaeto and dose nutrients. So I removed the chaeto, miracle mud, algae baffle in my sump and was just running skimmer (I never run carbon or only once and while temporarily). Got sick
Of daily dosing p04 so I made my own solution with TSP and added that to ato water and that was perfect for me. Solid stable p04 of .02-.04 and n03 was always 3-5ppm and my acropora we’re looking unbelievable. So that was going on for a few months and then late November I started seeing small patches of brown and green hair algae randomly and would pick it out here and there not really thinking about it. My hippo and yellow tang doesn’t touch the stuff neither does my lawn mower blenny. Then beginning of December it started to get bad so I stopped p04 dosing and just let the tank do it’s thing with daily feeding of the fish and some acropower etc to get my levels down to try and starve out the algae. No noticbale change in algae from stopping dosing and my acros we’re starting to lose color. I bought more cuc they made no Change. I tried nopox for a couple weeks drove my n03 to 0 and got a nasty outbreak of cyano from it. Stopped the nopox and have stable n03 of about 1-2ppm now with no nopox and only a touch of cyano here and there now. I then used gfo for a week and stripped the p04 and acros immediately got white tips and some base recession so I said screw it im gonna go back to p04 dosing and stop the gfo cause the algae is growing no matter what the levels are and my acros only look good and won’t rtn if I dose p04 daily. But now I’m in a daily battle of hand scrubbing the rocks in the tank and honestly not making much of a difference.

I have bought probably $400 worth of additional cuc over the past 2 months and they didn’t do anything even Sea hares! I tried fluconozole but it only killed my bryopsis. installed a cw-100 ats 2 weeks ago and I have some nice hair algae growing on that already but it’s not stopping the algae in my dt. I’ve literally lost sleep over this and I’m at the point where I’m gonna break down the tank, remove the sand, soak all the rock in h202 and rebuilt and re start and pray that it doesn’t happen again. How would you guys prevent gha from taking over the tank while maintaining p04 and n03? My nuvo 10 and jbj 20 are going along great with the same nutrient levels and 0 algae.

Going forward I will use ats from the start to give the algae a place to grow outside my dt. Don’t add sps for atleast a year. And pray it doesn’t come back. How sad.

Paulandreti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear about this, I´m suffering the same algae, it is really challening. I hope you do better on your new tank.

Regards,

Paulandreti :cool:

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see that many cuc in the pic. Imo urchins are important. They are the primary algae control in many parts of the ocean.

I also think this is good thread for people to see when dosing nutrients. I have found most of the time phosphate isn’t needed due to the amount added from food. I always suggest dosing only nitrates at least for a month to see if that improves color before phosphates (unless have Dino’s) because how calcium binds phosphate it can end up with what you have. I have had many systems with great color and 0 phosphate (but tank is fed of course) but it’s when nitrates bottom out color loss happens to me.

Some good advise here and I personally would add urchins (tux or pincushion) and run a fuge while keeping nitrate detectable.
Yes your absolutely right on everything you said. I only got my first tuxedo urchin about 3 weeks ago but thinking I might need a few more. I’ll be honest I’ve been reefing for around 8 years but always had a bunch of nano tanks and this was my first “big” tank and I grossly underestimated the size of cuc I need, I rushed way too quick into dosing nutes to get colors out of my acros and now I’m just gonna nurse the tank back to good health. No more dosing of anything just fish food twice a day and I change out my filter floss daily now and skimmer cup every other day. My ats is really starting to kick in too and ironically I’ve noticed a big decline in my cyano past few days? Prob my daily turkey blasting the rocks and algae. I am going to continue vacuuming out as sand as I can with every weekly wc as I want bare bottom. Thanks again for all your help guys.

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread i read on here yesterday that talks about using boiled rodi water. Was gonna try that to try and fix my GHA issue, may want to look into it!

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something I’d like to add from reading your first post... I have an sps system and my nitrates are at zero, and phos is like 0.015 or something like that. Haven’t tested in a while. I don’t worry about getting 5ppm nitrates for coloration on my sps or anything. I figured out the right balance of how much to feed to not get too much algae and although my nitrates sit at zero, my sps colors look great.

In my opinion, that’s a lot of number chasing and changes being made in the tank...

Don’t quit. You’ve come this far and it’s honestly nothing to break tank down over. You’re not going to rid of it in a day or two... but you’ll find the right thing that works and keep at it until it’ll eventually die off ...

I personally think it’s just a nutrient export import problem that you’ll have to figure out how to correct first. I had some nasty uglies myself but I didn’t use chemicals or any products to get rid of it. I started feeding less, more water changes, and it started goin away. I was feeding once every 3 days at one point. But it was going away with consistency...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a neat trick about arresting gha and cousins, they’re among the easier invaders to beat -for any tank where one has complete access-

Given incomplete access, pick your battle option as many are good. Nutrient tuning, adding cuc, adding direct kill meds. All can kill off the invasion in certain lucky ish situations

But if you are willing to access the tank then the entire game changes. After willingness to access then comes willingness to cheat kill the target. Brushing gha distributes via fragmentation. Willingness to follow a known order of ops will zap your tank clean / skip cycle

By that I mean if a full water change is called for, doing one doesn’t require you to work through nine levels of hesitation. It would be done, twice if called for, no hesitation-level access.

It doesn’t matter if your tank is one gallon and you’re willing to access it, or if it’s 65 gallons and making 1.5 brute cans of ready water is just another day in reefing/ can do

Fluconazole is a valuable tool

So are grazers

But grazers add to detritus, and fluc never removes it. Leaves it for trade off invasions

If you clean the system top to bottom all at once in message with me, you will have a pristine tank soon after (but we apply kill steps so the algae doesn’t grow back like it does currently)

Friendly dare: anyone here with an invaded nano reef sight unseen to message me for a cure challenge run.

I don’t care if you have nine variants of ostreopsis or the worst gha nestled among acro, if you are willing to part clean that tank to the bone with me then it will be uninvaded. All we need is someone willing to follow a set order of ops and not customize it. The record has been set for using the word willing the most ever in a reef post

pls send me your worst invaded nano of all time in message let’s surgically rework it.

Last edited:

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad infestation during the first year my current tank was set up- API marine algaefix knocked it out and it never came back.

But even without that, I wouldn't break down. You could just end up back in the same place a year later. Make sure you have lots of herbivores (urchin and snails mainly) and just maintain good water quality and just keep on. Often the algae is getting its nutrients from the rock, and only letting the rock mature will fix that.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your absolutely right on everything you said. I only got my first tuxedo urchin about 3 weeks ago but thinking I might need a few more. I’ll be honest I’ve been reefing for around 8 years but always had a bunch of nano tanks and this was my first “big” tank and I grossly underestimated the size of cuc I need, I rushed way too quick into dosing nutes to get colors out of my acros and now I’m just gonna nurse the tank back to good health. No more dosing of anything just fish food twice a day and I change out my filter floss daily now and skimmer cup every other day. My ats is really starting to kick in too and ironically I’ve noticed a big decline in my cyano past few days? Prob my daily turkey blasting the rocks and algae. I am going to continue vacuuming out as sand as I can with every weekly wc as I want bare bottom. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Sounds like a great plan! No doubt it won't be long before things look amazing! Fwiw I have 3 tux urchins in my 34g nano and while they can be a pain with frags, they keep the algae away!

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a neat trick about arresting gha and cousins, they’re among the easier invaders to beat -for any tank where one has complete access-

Given incomplete access, pick your battle option as many are good. Nutrient tuning, adding cuc, adding direct kill meds. All can kill off the invasion in certain lucky ish situations

But if you are willing to access the tank then the entire game changes. After willingness to access then comes willingness to cheat kill the target. Brushing gha distributes via fragmentation. Willingness to follow a known order of ops will zap your tank clean / skip cycle

By that I mean if a full water change is called for, doing one doesn’t require you to work through nine levels of hesitation. It would be done, twice if called for, no hesitation-level access.

It doesn’t matter if your tank is one gallon and you’re willing to access it, or if it’s 65 gallons and making 1.5 brute cans of ready water is just another day in reefing/ can do

Fluconazole is a valuable tool

So are grazers

But grazers add to detritus, and fluc never removes it. Leaves it for trade off invasions

If you clean the system top to bottom all at once in message with me, you will have a pristine tank soon after (but we apply kill steps so the algae doesn’t grow back like it does currently)

Friendly dare: anyone here with an invaded nano reef sight unseen to message me for a cure challenge run.

I don’t care if you have nine variants of ostreopsis or the worst gha nestled among acro, if you are willing to part clean that tank to the bone with me then it will be uninvaded. All we need is someone willing to follow a set order of ops and not customize it. The record has been set for using the word willing the most ever in a reef post

pls send me your worst invaded nano of all time in message let’s surgically rework it.
Can you pm me this process you speak of? I’m willing to break the tank down I’m sure willing to try anything you got for me. Much appreciated

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread i read on here yesterday that talks about using boiled rodi water. Was gonna try that to try and fix my GHA issue, may want to look into it!

I have not seen that thread or exactly what was done, but just a heads up boiling water on rock out of tank where you may come in contact w/ steam can be very hazardous, some people have developed serious illness from this.

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad infestation during the first year my current tank was set up- API marine algaefix knocked it out and it never came back.

But even without that, I wouldn't break down. You could just end up back in the same place a year later. Make sure you have lots of herbivores (urchin and snails mainly) and just maintain good water quality and just keep on. Often the algae is getting its nutrients from the rock, and only letting the rock mature will fix that.
Was your tank as bad as mine? How long did it take before it started killing the algae?

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also did it kill any of your cuc or fish?

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it for a couple weeks and didn’t see a difference should I continue with it?
Yes keep going with vibrant! I had a bad gha outbreak where it was starting to grow over my coral. I basically went crazy and wanted to rip my tank down. Then I said let me try a napom approach. I used vibrant scrubbed the rocks by hand twice a day with the foam covers on my mp40s on max power. Stirred up sand and the whole tank twice a day. I then took the socks off the mp40s after 15 mins, cleaned them and put them back. Then kept doing this. It took about two to two and a half weeks but I beat it back. I’ve now put a refugium in place with macros.

I think the vibrant really helped but I did see some rtn on a few sps so once I saw the gha was reduced I stopped it and went only manual. You could say with everything I was doing to the tank that’s what caused the rtn, but it would start on a new coral only after I dosed. I did not lose anything through out this process luckily.

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-1-30_23-8-42.jpeg

This is what it looked like with some improvement.....

This is now:
6AAD709E-B3CE-43AC-9021-33E8EE596032.jpeg

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady. No more dosing of nutrients. Buy more algae eating fish. Increase your circulation. Do weekly WC’s you will beat it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I HAD SIMILAR IN MY 93 CUBE AND IT TOOK A GOOD CLEAN UP CREW AND A YELLOW EYE TANG TO TURN IT AROUND AND rED sEA nOpOX

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back