GHA management?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, so I beat bryopsis with flux RX. I kept my nutrients down and didn't see a GHA outbreak. I ended up away from the tank for about 3 weeks and nutrients went up to 19.5 no3 and .07 po4. But the corals look great. I started feeding more and doing water changes. I'm keeping the nutrients stable and the fish and coral love it. But now I have GHA popping up all over the place. Small patches still, but all over.

My question is, how do I feed heavy to key everyone happy without GHA.

I ordered a bunch of cuc, many didn't make it.
I have a refugium. A few months ago I harvested too much Red Gracilaria and GHA took over the fuge. Since then I've cleaned it, but still have very little Red Gracilaria. It's like it's not growing.

The tank is a Max e170 with one hydra 26 light. It's set to 70% uv and v. And 62% blues for 7 hours.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

20230928_205704.jpg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more coral mass.
Nice clean rock with lot of nutrients and nice light is invitation for GHA….

Pick some corals that grow fast but can be removed later or swapped for others that you want at the end. Some Zoas grow fast and are lot nicer to look at vs. GHA.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a cuc. I know you said you ordered some, and you may need to order/buy more. You need to have herbivores constantly working on the algae...
Manual removal is also necessary depending on how much there is; there's only so much that inverts can do.

Oh, and let GHA take over the fuge if it grows better than the macro you've got. GHA is also a macroalgae and you may as well utilize its nutrient-transport.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need more coral mass.
Nice clean rock with lot of nutrients and nice light is invitation for GHA….

Pick some corals that grow fast but can be removed later or swapped for others that you want at the end. Some Zoas grow fast and are lot nicer to look at vs. GHA.
Makes sense. I had a feeling this was the solution. I do have a few in the tank that I've been growing out. Now that I feel confident I've been buy. I have 12 in QT. Idk if I can wait the full 72 days haha.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to have herbivores constantly working on the algae...
I've been thinking about a lawnmower blenny. I had one before but he passed. But I had bryopsis then, so he really didn't help. Flux rx was the trick.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need a cuc. I know you said you ordered some, and you may need to order/buy more. You need to have herbivores constantly working on the algae...
Manual removal is also necessary depending on how much there is; there's only so much that inverts can do.

Oh, and let GHA take over the fuge if it grows better than the macro you've got. GHA is also a macroalgae and you may as well utilize its nutrient-transport.
Agreed!! My fuge started to get a lot of GHA but that is also when my levels started balancing and staying that way.
Of course the CUC helps along with the manual removal.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion,
I have 12 in QT. Idk if I can wait the full 72 days haha.
But corals you really don’t need to keep in QT for 72 days. I would dip them in something like Fauna Marin “The Dip” and observe for few days to make sure they don’t have Aiptasia or other pest and put them in.
Corals are stressed as it is and in my opinion it is best to get them in final location ASAP.
Again just my opinion.

For my corals I float a bad next I dip, if possible I replace the plug if not I try to scrape the original plug and I put them in my display. I try to get it all done within 2 hours of getting corals home.
But I am very picky where I get my corals from these days and I don’t mind paying premium for clean and healthy corals.

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion,

But corals you really don’t need to keep in QT for 72 days. I would dip them in something like Fauna Marin “The Dip” and observe for few days to make sure they don’t have Aiptasia or other pest and put them in.
Corals are stressed as it is and in my opinion it is best to get them in final location ASAP.
Again just my opinion.

For my corals I float a bad next I dip, if possible I replace the plug if not I try to scrape the original plug and I put them in my display. I try to get it all done within 2 hours of getting corals home.
But I am very picky where I get my corals from these days and I don’t mind paying premium for clean and healthy corals.
Where do you buy corals? Looking to find a reliable vendor!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I beat bryopsis with flux RX. I kept my nutrients down and didn't see a GHA outbreak. I ended up away from the tank for about 3 weeks and nutrients went up to 19.5 no3 and .07 po4. But the corals look great. I started feeding more and doing water changes. I'm keeping the nutrients stable and the fish and coral love it. But now I have GHA popping up all over the place. Small patches still, but all over.

I ordered a bunch of cuc, many didn't make it.
I have a refugium. A few months ago I harvested too much Red Gracilaria and GHA took over the fuge. Since then I've cleaned it, but still have very little Red Gracilaria. It's like it's not growing.

The tank is a Max e170 with one hydra 26 light. It's set to 70% uv and v. And 62% blues for 7 hours.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

20230928_205704.jpg
I have the same issue in my tank. I have a sea hare and he does a good job of constantly eating it for me

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you buy corals? Looking to find a reliable vendor!
I prefer to buy from local reefers since I had most success with corals acquired this way.

I am not from US so the vendors I use would not help you. But in US there are lot of really good choices.

Good luck,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back