GHA Problem

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GHA problem in my 40g mixed reef. 2 clowns and a six line currently after my nem ate my goby:(. I have had it in my 14g (moved to 40 and tturned into frag tank) but transfered rock to 40 and have same problem. I have a pincushion urchin that does great when he is on a rock but is on the glass most of the time. Any suggestions besides manual removal?
Thanks!

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck im 1 year into this battle just started dosing vibrant ! and running GFO

you gotta post your parameters to get a beter understanding of why you have GHA probably high nutrients !

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your phosphates and nitrates are high you need to find a better solution to lower these parameters !! a better nutrient export! post ur water parameters !

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your NO3 and PO4 readings would be off due the amount in the GHA. After manual removal then test them and figure out a plan to remove and maintain lower numbers.
GHA needs to be removed manually. Scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush connected to a syphon hose afterwards helps. A good diverse CUC is also important.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What works for me is manual removal + snails.

After I nip down a rock or an urchin goes over it, I can tell that a snail is taking up residency right at that spot because it remains hair algae free while the algae grows nearby.

So the solution is to add more snails/clean up crew. Enough snails to be keeping the rocks clean. Also, keep the glass very clean that way there is no incentive for the clean up crew to stay on the glass.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What works for me is manual removal + snails.

After I nip down a rock or an urchin goes over it, I can tell that a snail is taking up residency right at that spot because it remains hair algae free while the algae grows nearby.

So the solution is to add more snails/clean up crew. Enough snails to be keeping the rocks clean. Also, keep the glass very clean that way there is no incentive for the clean up crew to stay on the glass.
Star Wars Baby Yoda GIF by LEGO

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cleaned the glass and rocks

Po4 and No3 are 0
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Calcium-480
Alk-8
pH-7.8

I know pH is a bit low, but my coral is growing good and since the new light (Maxspect Jump LED), my frogspawn has grown a bunch of new little tentacles

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be high salinity but that's a random shot in the dark
I would Garuntee that Mexican turbo snails would help significantly with this problem. I had a chance problem and they knocked it out within a couple weeks. They poop LOTS though and it may be annoying, but I can’t them the cows of the ocean.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 turbo snails
10 astaria snails
2 emerald crabs
2-3 Tronchus snails
10 blue legged hermit crabs

Cut feeding back to half amount

Use chemical as a very last resort

I got this same cleanup crew and a tuxedo urchin, and my GHA disappeared in a month and a half.

The manual removal is necessary and has to be done weekly until your CUC can catch-up. Nothing will eat the long strands, that removal is up to you.

Now it's all gone and I love it.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is at 1.025, and I have astrea snails, Ill try Mexican turbos though as I have read somewhere that they are hardy
just be sure your refractometer is calibrated, I thought I had 1.025 salinity for over a year and it turns out I was running 1.029+ because my hydrometer was off

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back