GHA Vibrant use

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running triton method in my Redsea 625 and everything is doing good. The only problem I have is GHA. I have tried everything for GHA and run low nutrients and feeding. However it still grows. GHA out competes Chaeto. I want to use vibrant. I have heard good things about the product. However, I will have to remove Chaeto prior to using Vibrant.
1. Will vibrant spike nutrients as refuge will be offline will I have to abandon the triton method.
2. Can I use vibrant on a short term basis to get rid of GHA and then go back to triton or will it all come back. All examples of vibrant I see are people dosing it over the long term.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Vibrant, now in week six.
It has removed both GHA and Bubble to 90%
I dose once per week, 1mk per 10g and have had no changes in Nutrients at all, although I have heard of this claim.
After your GHA is gone, you can discontinue.
CC427C25-1FB8-4D72-8FB5-3B2FC461F5B8.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing vibratn for GHA as well. Im on week 2 so I dont expect to see results yet, im dosing every other day though.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave chaeto and try vibrant. No need to remove. Follow instructions and chaeto will be fine.

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is getting rid of my hair algae. My best advice is it hand remove the algae. Then dose . the bacteria . . I removed 75% of hair algae & it’s hasn’t came back.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it and it worked great, BUT it tanked my nutrients and dinos started. Once I had all GHA removed I stopped using it, raised my nutrients and did manual removal of the dinos with help from a few turbos and neither GHA or dinos have returned. So just be aware that use of vibrant can cause dinos, I don't find it as an issue or problems like others have stated on this entire forum because I knew that it could potentially happen. Stay calm, take care of the original issue then address the dino issue. I think people's HUGE dino issues they had was because they dosed vibrant, got dinos, then started to do too much to get rid of the gha, bubble, or whatever they dose vibrant for in addition to trying to stop the dinos. You can only do so much to your tank at once before negative effects start occurring.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, vibrant works well for GHA. However, when I used it, I gave it a lot of help. I continued to carbon dose, ran GFO, did water changes prior to each weekly dose, ran the skimmer wet, and introduced a Sea Hare.

Once the GHA was under control, about 6 weeks, I weened the tank off the carbon dose, stopped the GFO, and sent the Sea hare back to the LFS. Now I just dose Vibrant @ 5ml/week. The only down side I saw was an increase of the Cyano on the overflow partition and a few spots on the rocks that come and go.

I would not leave Cheato in the fuge. Vibrant will kill it.

OP
OP
S

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Vibrant, now in week six.
It has removed both GHA and Bubble to 90%
I dose once per week, 1mk per 10g and have had no changes in Nutrients at all, although I have heard of this claim.
After your GHA is gone, you can discontinue.
CC427C25-1FB8-4D72-8FB5-3B2FC461F5B8.jpeg
Thanks for the response your tank looks great. Question do you have a refugium? And what is your water change schedule during treatment

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny how vibrant say that it will kill all algae

Diatoms
Cyanobacteria
Dinoflagellates
Bubble algae
Hair Algae
Turf Algae
Bryopsis

But claims not to affect macro algae?

They then refer to chaeto as a macro, but refer to ulva as a micro, which it isn't, and that vibrant kills ulva dead.

?

How does it kill all dinos, but doesn't affect the dinos in coral ?

GHA does out-compete chaeto, apparently. I would remove the chaeto myself, & you don't have to worry about a nutrient spike as vibrant also takes care of that,,, apparently??

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal expenrience vibrant destroys chaeto pretty fast
Everyone has a different experience with vibrant don’t they? Their thread with 11k replies last I checked, is full of conflicting stories.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents- I used vibrant on 2 nano tanks. One for gha and one for bubble algae.
after manual remove of most GHA and 6 weeks vibrant that tank is pristine (albeit snailless lol) hasn’t done a darn thing to the bubble algae tank yet though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back