Ghetto Muffler for Maggie Muffler

motzCOreefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2020
Messages
19
Reaction score
31
Location
Monument
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - Made a ghetto muffler for my maggie muffler to reduce the noise to near silence.

My tank came with a standard Maggie Muffler. However, it was still a little noisy for my taste with the standard cap with 2 holes. I initially tried making those prescription pill bottle mufflers but the 1/8" inner diameter Tubing wasn't allowing enough air through so there wasn't a steady stream going down the overflow tube. So I switched to 1/4" ID Tubing and had to settle with 4 of them coming out of the cap to allow enough air with the 90° elbows. 3 of them were sufficient without the elbows but I couldn't bend the Tubing and have the muffler for the muffler fit.

With the standard cap with 2 holes, it was making an average of 87db 1" above the cap with my return pump running at 76% and it was making 72db at 43%.

With my new muffler, it is making an average of 69db at 81% power. It is essentially silent now.

20201202_172905.jpg 20201202_172935.jpg
 
TLDR - Made a ghetto muffler for my maggie muffler to reduce the noise to near silence.

My tank came with a standard Maggie Muffler. However, it was still a little noisy for my taste with the standard cap with 2 holes. I initially tried making those prescription pill bottle mufflers but the 1/8" inner diameter Tubing wasn't allowing enough air through so there wasn't a steady stream going down the overflow tube. So I switched to 1/4" ID Tubing and had to settle with 4 of them coming out of the cap to allow enough air with the 90° elbows. 3 of them were sufficient without the elbows but I couldn't bend the Tubing and have the muffler for the muffler fit.

With the standard cap with 2 holes, it was making an average of 87db 1" above the cap with my return pump running at 76% and it was making 72db at 43%.

With my new muffler, it is making an average of 69db at 81% power. It is essentially silent now.

20201202_172905.jpg 20201202_172935.jpg
I would not say that is ghetto. That is homegrown engineering lol. Nothing wrong with solving a problem with some diy ingenuity.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new