GHL alarm and email alerts setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any luck setting up email alerts based upon an alarm?

I have managed to set this up. So whenever my tank salinity goes over a certain value I receive an email when an alarm is triggered.

The problem is I get 60 emails.

Anyone know of the correct setting?

Under mailing condition, I have:
*Alarm
*Just new and I have also tried, cyclical (every 5 mins)
I have no idea what “just over” means!

when I do get the email. It doesn’t state the level of the salinity. Just the fact that an alarm was triggered.
How do you set it up so that you just get one email every time a new alarm is triggered and also the email states the value of the probe under alarm?

thanks

Eli

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can.l not have the alarm and just the probe current value of the probe impacted by alarm but you can do the alarm and have it show all your sensors. Is that ok?

When you say 69 emails your getting 60 at once ?

OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can.l not have the alarm and just the probe current value of the probe impacted by alarm but you can do the alarm and have it show all your sensors. Is that ok?

When you say 69 emails your getting 60 at once ?
Hi
Thanks for replying.
It seems the emails are sent based upon three settings:

Cyclic - An email is sent repeatedly at the designated time interval, if an alarm has triggered.

At certain time - an email will be sent at a certain time, if an alarm has been triggered.

Just new - and email sent if a new alarm has been triggered. (Preferred but seems as though this has a bug)

just over - no idea what this one is.

Please correct the above descriptions, if I’m wrong.

I would be under the impression, that if I want one email sent every time a new alarm is triggered I would select “just new“.

The problem is, if I Select this option, it seems to send me an email constantly while the alarm is going off. This can amount to hundreds of emails being sent, if the alarm is left unattended.

Is there a way to set up an email alert and just receive one email if a new alarm goes off?

thanks

Eli

Aquagen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your profilux wifi and firmware for updates. The 60 email thing has been fixed for a while

OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have figured it out. The salinity teeters on the edge of 1.025 and 1.0251. When it dips below the alarm turns off. When it goes above the alarm turns on and generates an email. This constant movement causes multiple emails. Any tips on how to solve this?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have figured it out. The salinity teeters on the edge of 1.025 and 1.0251. When it dips below the alarm turns off. When it goes above the alarm turns on and generates an email. This constant movement causes multiple emails. Any tips on how to solve this?
I'm not sure that there is, but would like to know if there's something I'm missing.

I recently had the same issue with the temperature alarm banging in and out, 0.1F change up and down. I didn't get 60 notices, but I got a bunch. I also have just clear setup.

If there is nothing, perhaps something GHL can look into creating a bandwidth for.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eli,

If the alarm settings for the probe is set too close to the desired value, it won't take much to trigger the alarm.

OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eli,

If the alarm settings for the probe is set too close to the desired value, it won't take much to trigger the alarm.
Thanks Vinny for the reply. Even if I move the alarm trigger further away from the desired value, it will still teeter on the edge of that new alarm level and generate multiple email alerts. Is there a way that once the alarm is triggered it only send one email, to alert the user?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the alarm setting is not setup correctly.

By default, the alarm threshold is set to +/- 10ms which is equivalent to +/- 1.004. With this setting, if your desired salinity is 50ms (32.7 ppt / 1.025 SG) and the value drops by 10ms, down to 40ms (25.5 ppt / 1.019 SG), the alarm will trigger.

This means that your salinity will have to change by about 5.6 ppt or .005 SG before the alarm triggers.

OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the alarm setting is not setup correctly.

By default, the alarm threshold is set to +/- 10ms which is equivalent to +/- 1.004. With this setting, if your desired salinity is 50ms (32.7 ppt / 1.025 SG) and the value drops by 10ms, down to 40ms (25.5 ppt / 1.019 SG), the alarm will trigger.

This means that your salinity will have to change by about 5.6 ppt or .005 SG before the alarm triggers.
Ok so taking your example. The salinity is 1.025 and drops to 1.019. The issue is it bounces between 1.019 and 1.020 a few times before settling at 1.019, hence a triggering the alarm a few times during that process and sending out multiple emails. That is the issue. Is there a way to stop receiving multiple emails if the level bounces off the alarm level?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what happened with my temperature alarm as well. The alarm was set at 80F but the temp was bouncing between 79.9F and 80.0F, hence the alarm was coming in and out, sending a new text each time. One for the alarm then one for the just clear. I ended up raising the alarm setpoint just to make it stop. My tank normally runs less than 79F.

@Vinny@GHLUSA Maybe something that can be looked at for a future firmware upgrade? Add some type of deadband to the alarm setpoints? e.g. for temp make it so it has to drop by 0.2F before the alarm clears.

Edit - I guess it would have to actually be 0.2C based upon resolution of the sensor being 0.1C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what happened with my temperature alarm as well. The alarm was set at 80F but the temp was bouncing between 79.9F and 80.0F, hence the alarm was coming in and out, sending a new text each time. One for the alarm then one for the just clear. I ended up raising the alarm setpoint just to make it stop. My tank normally runs less than 79F.

@Vinny@GHLUSA Maybe something that can be looked at for a future firmware upgrade? Add some type of deadband to the alarm setpoints? e.g. for temp make it so it has to drop by 0.2F before the alarm clears.

Edit - I guess it would have to actually be 0.2C based upon resolution of the sensor being 0.1C.

If you could solve the multiple emails, The best solution would be an in app alert, rather than an email

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disabling a safety mechanism may not be a good idea.
One can miss the first notification and not know about an on-going alarm if the P4 is not allowed to notify you more than once.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back