GHL Auto Water Change?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Does anyone use their GHL to automate a water change?

Just curious.

I have a maxi 2.1 head spare but just a single one. The other is my fresh water top up. I do have a dosing head free on my doser that feeds my KH Director.

Wonder if I can make it work somehow.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have 1x Maxi head and 1x Doser 2.1 head that is currently not being used?

It is possible to make it work, but it really depends on how much water you need to transfer each time. If you want to do 1 gallon per day WC, that is fine because the D2.1 pump can handle that. Anything more and the D2.1 pump will be exposed to excess wear on the moving parts which means more frequent replacing may be needed.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you throw the ATO into the 2.1 dose and then use the MAXI heads for the AWC?

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I was thinking i could prepare 120L in a big container then do a water change this way once each month, probably over night.

Or would it be better to change 30L a week?

Would it work getting another stand alone doser maxi to add the salt water? Then the other head to be hooked up to the drain?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, decided what im going to do.

The maxi doser on my tank at the minute is only being used on one head to pump the top off (fresh) water.

Can I - suspend the ATO function (when i want to do a water change) - then move the pipes from the ATO in to a salt water bucket and have it dose the salt water from one head and remove the water from the tank to a drain?

I would want it to pump water for one minute then rest, then pump then rest, etc to acclimatise the water in the tank.

Can i do all that, maybe on a maintenance function? All while suspending the ATO?

(another option, or cheat, would be to move the ATO float sensor under the water level while doing this, but then i might forget to move it back).

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely get that stability is the ultimate aim of any reef aquarium. Therefore changing 20% of the water each 4 weeks isn’t great.

That being said, the corals always look ace after.

does anyone know if I were the alter what the maxi pump was dosing, could I pause it’s usual ATO function with a maintenance timer? Then have it dose 30L one minute on, one minute off?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty certain in the menu you can shut off ATO functions during water changes. Think I saw that they mention it in the AWC GHL video.

@4:55 in the video Vinny talks about shutting off ATO during AWC

Last edited:

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply use a Maxi Doser for daily AWC running in and out simultaneously changing out 7500ML a day on my system. The ATO never even knows that is is happening. The Maxi is located about 25-30 feet away as the lines go. When you calibrate the pumps they end up VERY close to each other so there is very little level change during the operation. Fresh salt water goes into the sump right by the return pump while the old water is pulled from where the overflow dumps into the sump. This way it gives separation so you don't pull out what you just put in.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, I have one doser maxi, one head is used for my ATO.

One will be used for my waste line, to empty the waste from the KH Director (from a 5L Jerry Can) once I can be bothered to fit the float switch.

I’m planning to Move the lines FROM THE SAME PUMP to do the AWC.

I.e when maintenance 1 is pushed, the AWC is paused and the same head then doses 100ml and then waits while the second head removes 100ml.

I know the risk here is an imbalance in the water level with the ATO being paused etc.

I want to avoid buying a second maxi if I can.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back