GHL leak sensor alternatives?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave-T
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dave-T

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2022
Messages
970
Reaction score
506
Location
Boston
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I had the ultimate disaster scenario, one that I'd like my profilux to be able to handle. My rollermat jammed, causing water to overflow out of my sump. My sump is in a "tray", and enough water accumulated in it so that the leak was detected. But I was 6000 miles away, and it happened in the middle of the night. Luckily I got a text alert and was awake at the time, and was able to wake my housesitter who went down and dealt with the problem.

My GHL leak sensor detected the leak, but wouldn't go out of the alarm state until it was disassembled and dried off. Apparently the GHL leak sensor isn't actually waterproof, and if it gets wet enough it will damage the internal circuitry. My cheapo backup leak sensor I got on amazon (Amazon product ASIN B084WYB8PM) is completely sealed, and doesn't have this flaw.

But I'd like to have a leak sensor that I could interface with the Profilux, so I could use it to turn off my return pump if a leak is detected, and turn it back on once the leak is remedied. It's the second part that the GHL leak sensor isn't going to be reliable at.

I entered a ticket about this, and Vinny suggested that I post here - he said that people have managed to integrate third party leak sensors with the Profilux. Can someone please chime in with a suggestion?

Thanks!
 
Interested to see what you come up with. The GHL leak sensor is an embarrassingly bad design and I stopped using them. Wish they would fix products like this instead of building stream pumps, which is a problem others have already solved.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new