GHL leak sensor alternatives?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I had the ultimate disaster scenario, one that I'd like my profilux to be able to handle. My rollermat jammed, causing water to overflow out of my sump. My sump is in a "tray", and enough water accumulated in it so that the leak was detected. But I was 6000 miles away, and it happened in the middle of the night. Luckily I got a text alert and was awake at the time, and was able to wake my housesitter who went down and dealt with the problem.

My GHL leak sensor detected the leak, but wouldn't go out of the alarm state until it was disassembled and dried off. Apparently the GHL leak sensor isn't actually waterproof, and if it gets wet enough it will damage the internal circuitry. My cheapo backup leak sensor I got on amazon () is completely sealed, and doesn't have this flaw.

But I'd like to have a leak sensor that I could interface with the Profilux, so I could use it to turn off my return pump if a leak is detected, and turn it back on once the leak is remedied. It's the second part that the GHL leak sensor isn't going to be reliable at.

I entered a ticket about this, and Vinny suggested that I post here - he said that people have managed to integrate third party leak sensors with the Profilux. Can someone please chime in with a suggestion?

Thanks!

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably use something like this: However, you need a breakout box PLM-ADIN card

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at this thread as well something I may do as well. The one above you need the PLM-ADIN card

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the leak detector is a simple switch (on/off) you can use the one of the level connectors on the P4. see here for wiring

Sincerely Lasse

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interested to see what you come up with. The GHL leak sensor is an embarrassingly bad design and I stopped using them. Wish they would fix products like this instead of building stream pumps, which is a problem others have already solved.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a great solution! I will post further on the thread posted above, thanks @tmccaff for the link:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back