GHL Maxi Standalone Auto Water Change (AWC) setup Settings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im working on mine next week, following

Dry run starts in one hour, over the next three days.

I also found, that if the pumps are set to two different speeds. The pumps will stick/skip/make a wire noise. Do not be alarmed. Both pumps need to be set at the same speed/rate. Here is a link that I found the answer link.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry run starts in one hour, over the next three days.

I also found, that if the pumps are set to two different speeds. The pumps will stick/skip/make a wire noise. Do not be alarmed. Both pumps need to be set at the same speed/rate. Here is a link that I found the answer link.
That stick skip issue is from the tubing not being broken in. I found running them at speed 2 or 1 for a week off and on allowed them to break in. Once they are broke in you can run them at speed 3 no problem.

Also don’t forget that you need to calibrate at each speed one you change speed settings.

As for availability, Only GHL can say for sure. Could be parts shortages due to the world issues

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my settings for Maxi pump 1 & 2 322ml x 45=14490 ml x 3 days for a total of 43470ml total AWC. I will adjust the amounts up once is see how much water is used in my reservoir.
GHL Pump on 4-3-20.png

GHL pump 2 4-3-20.png

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my settings for Maxi pump 1 & 2 322ml x 45=14490 ml x 3 days for a total of 43470ml total AWC. I will adjust the amounts up once is see how much water is used in my reservoir.
GHL Pump on 4-3-20.png

GHL pump 2 4-3-20.png
Only problem I see is you’re going to get alarms when your container size is used up. I would select the “switch off level monitoring”.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don’t forget that you need to calibrate at each speed one you change speed settings.
When I was calibrating the heads, is when I had that moment of. Man the pump is broke;Jawdrop:rolleyes:;Hilarious. I mediately did a search for the issues and found the linked thread above on what was going on.

As for availability, Only GHL can say for sure. Could be parts shortages due to the world issues
Correct. I did go to the GHL blog, and two posts were about the supply issues with the ION Director link. I figure they would be having the same now for the pumps.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem I see is you’re going to get alarms when your container size is used up. I would select the “switch off level monitoring”.
I was going to switch be off, but decided to leave them on for the test run. For a just incase. :)

Do you dose for a 24hr period, or do you set the dosing amounts in a certain time frame?

Thank you for your replies and help. Walking through this with someone is a lot easier for the first time:)

You were saying that the pump heads need to break in for a week? The first dose went well, but one of the head stuck for a couple of seconds. Did you experience the same?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose/water change around the clock using the same settings you have. But I set mine up like this before they changed the amount of manual settings. They were 8 and now with the latest firmware you can set up to 24 manual dosings.

Also there are 2 threads you might find useful in the future.

To make a long thread short, you can use Apex DOS heads and parts on a Maxi

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I had dosing heads that stuck, also made a horrible ratcheting noise. One one Vinny sent me a new head. Later Ditto helped me and I learned that the tubing basically needs to break in.

One more tidbit of advice, a few people have had the tubing split inside the head. (Me included) so don’t have anything under the maxi pump that can get damaged by water. The way the head is designed if the tubing fails it will drain down and not into the unit.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I had dosing heads that stuck, also made a horrible ratcheting noise. One one Vinny sent me a new head. Later Ditto helped me and I learned that the tubing basically needs to break in.

One more tidbit of advice, a few people have had the tubing split inside the head. (Me included) so don’t have anything under the maxi pump that can get damaged by water. The way the head is designed if the tubing fails it will drain down and not into the unit.

Thank you for the heads up. I will keep and eye on the pump. I have two replacement heads available if needed from the retired DOS;).

Much Quieter too.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything that is going on, some parts are getting scarce with manufacturing shut downs and shipping.

I looked around and found my Maxi at BRS ;)
Yes.. but the European store doesn’t even mention them anymore, I really hope they will still produce them, they are such a wonderful piece of equipment! @Vinny@GHLUSA

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting week two of AWC
Questions
The AWC is supposed to start at 10am. I was up work this morning, and the doser started the AWC at 12am??

@AZMSGT hit upon this earlier with the alarm going off when the container is low, will the doser stop dosing also when the level alarm is triggered?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting week two of AWC
Questions
The AWC is supposed to start at 10am. I was up work this morning, and the doser started the AWC at 12am??

@AZMSGT hit upon this earlier with the alarm going off when the container is low, will the doser stop dosing also when the level alarm is triggered?
Check your system clock, while I haven’t seen it personally I know some folks have had clock issues. That might be the time issue.

I don’t know if the pump will stop when the fluid level is low.

@Ditto @Vinny@GHLUSA these guys might know.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use levels, but dosing sequences to run my AWC. That's how the competition does it, I don't see any reason to change things since it's relatively easy to do on this side as well. Just make sure they're calibrated.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your system clock, while I haven’t seen it personally I know some folks have had clock issues. That might be the time issue.

I don’t know if the pump will stop when the fluid level is low.

@Ditto @Vinny@GHLUSA these guys might know.
Thank you for your replay

I checked the clock, I did set the UTC time correctly. I missed that during the setup, but that did not effect the premature dosing.

I don't use levels, but dosing sequences to run my AWC. That's how the competition does it, I don't see any reason to change things since it's relatively easy to do on this side as well. Just make sure they're calibrated.
Thank you, I did do the calibration during set up. Just strange how the dosing started at 12 am instead of 10 am :)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my Maxi with the Maxi 2.2. I usually have my Maxi set up to do a 3 day auto water change. The water change starts Thursday at 12am to Saturday 11:59pm. It never has started with the start time either

This is how I presently have the schedule setup
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 10.52.47 AM.png

I would like to be able to schedule a one time one day AWC starting at 12pm and end at 5pm. I would like to change 46L. I read the manual again and I am still not grasping how to set up a quick large AWC.

I did see were I could dose an amount under manual dosing, but I think that would be to hard on the pump heads running speed #3 continuously for a long period of time.

I am bring up this question again after I found this thread. There has to be a way :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back