GHL Mitras 72xx or Mitras Lightbar 2??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I’m upgrading my tank this year and currently doing the lighting research.

I feel that I would like to have the GHL lights on the new tank, but don’t want the light spill into the room. So I suppose I should choose the Mitras lightbar over the Mitras 7x.
The only problem is that I have read that the 7x is a one stop shop for the lights covering all the bases. Which light bars would I have to purchase to emulate the exact output of the 7x?
Or should I just compromise on the light spill and go with the 7x?
Any help would be appreciated.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure you'll get some light spill no matter what. If you're going match the lx7's output why not just go with them? I have 2 lx7's. Love them.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LX7 lights and light spill is not an issue in my opinion and the light is so nicely diffused that I can look at the lights from across the room and not hurt my eyes (couldn't do that with the Radions).

They are great lights

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see light spill as an issue with the LX7 either. The tank is in the living room right next to seating and it hasn't bothered me and no one else has any complaints.

I have the light 8" above the rim of the tank. I adjusted to this height to minimize any spill. The PAR is still fairly evenly distributed at that height.

The display of my tank is 24x19x18 and the light is centered over display area (the tank is an AIO).

OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the super helpful feedback. So if the light spill is negligible, I may decide to go with a closed hood to minimise evaporation.
I do’nt mean to labour the point, but can anyone recommend a Lightbar setup for a similar output to the LX7?
cheers!

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would be no exact LB2 equivalent to the LX7 because the LB2 does not include a UV channel. The closest match would be 1x Ocean Blue and 1x Deep Actinic.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the super helpful feedback. So if the light spill is negligible, I may decide to go with a closed hood to minimise evaporation.
I do’nt mean to labour the point, but can anyone recommend a Lightbar setup for a similar output to the LX7?
cheers!
I personally would not do a closed hood with any LED fixture. Too much moisture problems could arise.

Gribbliest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run the light bars in an enclosed hood without any problems. These days I run the LX7's and don't see major issues with spill - I get a little more because of my Artfully Acrylic lid reflecting additional light upward, but as others have stated, it doesn't make it unpleasant to look at the tank.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheers!

I too will be getting the mitras 7206's. From the research I've done, they are not recommended (and might void warranty) if they are placed in an enclosed canopy. The mounting in a canopy is doable but a spacer needs to be fabricated so that the cooling fans aren't blocked (which is likely the same for any other high-end LED lights). My plan for minimizing light spill cuz my planned mounting height will be about 18" is to make an open box frame (open on top and bottom) with frame walls about 10" high. The mitras will be mounted on an aluminum frame at the top of the box frame just visible from the top. The box frame will prevent light spill. Will likely add reflectors along the inside walls of the box frame. Hope this helps!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 underneath my canopy with two light bars. The back of my canopy is open (against the wall) but with proper air flow inside the canopy you should be fine.

As for mounting them I used these and they work great :)

My tanks gave glass tops except wheee the breeze is and I have to wipe off the light on that side once a month.

OP
OP
E

elic173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 underneath my canopy with two light bars. The back of my canopy is open (against the wall) but with proper air flow inside the canopy you should be fine.

As for mounting them I used these and they work great :)

My tanks gave glass tops except wheee the breeze is and I have to wipe off the light on that side once a month.
Hi which lightbars did you go for and why did you need to add lightbars? Did you think the 72xx was not enough intensity ?
thanks

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the light bars to begin with from the previous tank before the upgrade so I kept them on, but did not have enough of them for for entire tank so I used them as almost like a T5 one on each side of the LX7206’s. No shadows in the tank and are attached to the canopy top.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back