GHL moonlighting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to set the record straight on this whole thing. I had this issue when I first installed the P4. That was about 2 years ago. Vinny@GHL supposedly fixed this issue. I could never, ever run my moonlight at less than 10%. Way too bright! I was told by Vinny that these lights weren't designed to run at less than 10%. Now I'm finding out this isn't so.
So....... I've been running defective hardware all these years????
That will not sit well with me.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to set the record straight on this whole thing. I had this issue when I first installed the P4. That was about 2 years ago. Vinny@GHL supposedly fixed this issue. I could never, ever run my moonlight at less than 10%. Way too bright! I was told by Vinny that these lights weren't designed to run at less than 10%. Now I'm finding out this isn't so.
So....... I've been running defective hardware all these years????
That will not sit well with me.
I can´t talk about the 7xxx serie - My experiences is only from the LED bars

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can´t talk about the 7xxx serie - My experiences is only from the LED bars

Sincerely Lasse
I'm having the exact same issue with the new lightbar. Deep actinic.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lo and behold. I have moonlight. I noticed between Lasse's and Member #1's schedule there were no 0K breaks through the project. So...No stops and starts if you want moonlight. And it cured my reverting back to previous programming.
Now my question is: I have moonlight to effect between 9PM and 3AM. How does that work?

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, not sure if this will help anyone, but I'll it post anyway.
All programming is done with Light Composer in GCC.
The Project is AB+ with all power factor settings at 100%
I will be using the Hyperviolet (425nm) channel for the moon light, as this is the dimmest of all the channels went Intensity & brightness are equal.
In the simulation tab, as I will show below, I am using Basic setting, and the min moon brightness is set to 0% and max moon brightness to 2%.

Before I start the program, as you can see, 10:00am & 10:00pm are all zeros across the board.

LC-000.PNG

Also in the hyperviolet channel 10:00am and 10:00pm are showing zero as well.
Note that "Depends on moon phase" is checked.

LC-0005.PNG

Here I have added the hypeviolet channel at 100% intensity and 2% Brightness.
Once you do this, be sure to hit Transmit illumination run to illumination channels.
As you can see, the daily schedule graph now has a thin blue line that runs from 00:00 to 10:00 then from 10:00 to 00:00. Also when you go to the hyperviolet channel, you will see where it now shows the program. Be sure to try the slider to see your results.

LC-002.PNG

LC-001.PNG

LC-003.PNG

LC-004.PNG

Once done you can save and exit.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my moon phase set to 9PM-3AM. My lights go off at 8PM.
Moonlight ran from 8PM till 9Pm
Then went off????
Someone wrote this code and that someone needs to explain it!

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I see it - in basic mode - this is important

1607609528194.png

This says that if there is a illuminating channel that is used for normal lighting - the illumination curve will be multiplied with the calculated brightness. It means that the ill curve in question not should be 0 during the period that´s actual for moonlight. In my setup - the 425 channel in my lightbars serve as moon channel too. This is the curve for my 425 channel

1607610306296.png

And my settings in simulation

1607610483584.png
For me this means that between 01:00 to 8:00 when the channel has a illumination 0f 2 % - it will in reality be the moonphase percent multiplied with 2 and multiplied with the channels intensity (also 2 in my case) : in this picture it says 0.14*2 (brightness full moon) * 2 (my curve between 01:00 - 08:00) -> 0.28*2 = 0.56. At full moon - it will be 2*2 = 4 %...
Since the max brightness (full moon) is stated as %, would it be *0.02 vice 2?

So your full moon would be 2% of 2%?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the max brightness (full moon) is stated as %, would it be *0.02 vice 2?

So your full moon would be 2% of 2%?
2 % is the same as the multiplier 0.02 for me. But there is an interesting question that I do not is able to answer. I set max moon brightness to 2 %. Will it means that the moonlight cant be higher than 2 % regardless what the curve says or does it means that the multiplier can´t be higher than 2% (0.02). I think it is the latest scenario. It means that if the settings look like this
1607765875347.png

In my example (I use the 425 nm LED Channel) - max intensity is around 70 lumen for my whole LED bar construction (according to light composer) My curve says (between 01:00 and 08:00) 2% of this -> 1.4 lumen In my example above - the actual phase says 28% of 2 % as multiplier -> 0.28*2 = 0.56%. It means that the brightness with my curve as it is now would be 0.0056*1.4 lumen -> 0.008 Lumen and at full moon - it will be 0.02*1.4 lumen -> 0.028 Lumen. It sounds rather low - but our eyes (in a dark room) will see this rather bright. If you want to have the moonlight to vary during the night - just make your curve for the night to vary - something like this

1607768691524.png

This is how I understand the GHL basic moonphase simulation - if it is right or not - I have no idea - but it has work for mee

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I changed moonphase time from 9pm -3Pm to 8am-8pm. I ran the simulation test and now have moonlight on. Getting my head wrapped around GHL logic:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see advanced mode is it's trying to replicate how the moon sets and rises at different times during the month. You see the moon in daylight at certain times of the month
It will run that channel at 0% during the day. So if it's a channel you need during the day then you're not getting it. I would think it's better used for a dedicated moonlight.
I still don't understand the calculated moon brightness thing in basic mode though.
And why the moonlight needs to be run all night long.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 % is the same as the multiplier 0.02 for me. But there is an interesting question that I do not is able to answer. I set max moon brightness to 2 %. Will it means that the moonlight cant be higher than 2 % regardless what the curve says or does it means that the multiplier can´t be higher than 2% (0.02). I think it is the latest scenario...
I would think the last as well.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting my head wrapped around GHL logic:rolleyes:
The settings from GHL is based on the 24 hours time system. Maybe it gets wrapped up then the AM/PM system is in use. I can´t for my life understand why you do not use the 24 hours system. 03:00 is three in the morning, 15:00 is three in the afternoon. Its so easy that even a three old European child get it :D:D:D:D:D

Sincerely Lasse

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The settings from GHL is based on the 24 hours time system. Maybe it gets wrapped up then the AM/PM system is in use. I can´t for my life understand why you do not use the 24 hours system. 03:00 is three in the morning, 15:00 is three in the afternoon. Its so easy that even a three old European child get it :D:D:D:D:D

Sincerely Lasse
It does sound like this could be the problem, but it appears to be working for @Member No 1.

@Scdell and @Member No 1 what firmwares are you running? Wonder if they are different.

When I get some time I'm going to try to implement this on one of my XHO bars.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
It's all what one is used to. 24 hour time is used mainly in the military here in the States. Otherwise everything is based on Am Pm. Same reason we use inches and feet instead of cm and meters.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like this could be the problem, but it appears to be working for @Member No 1.

@Scdell and @Member No 1 what firmwares are you running? Wonder if they are different.

When I get some time I'm going to try to implement this on one of my XHO bars.
Firmware is up to date. 7.24
I find the biggest problem with GHL is the lack of basic instructions they provide. It's left to the individual user to wrap their head around how this stuff works. Once one figures it out it's ok. It's just the process of getting to that point.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back