GHL Powerbar Outlet or Powerstrip?

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know daisy chaining power strips is a big electrical no-no; and that each power strip should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. However, do our aquarium controller bars suffer from the same (safety) limitation? Specifically I'm setting up a GHL PROFILUX POWERBAR 6E-PAB (or two). Is it okay to plug a powerbar into a standard grounded power strip? And if so, would it be okay to plug more than one powerbar into the same power strip?

Last edited:

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know daisy chaining power strip is a big electrical no-no; and that each power strip should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. However, do our aquarium controller bars suffer from the same (safety) limitation? Specifically I'm setting up a GHL PROFILUX POWERBAR 6E-PAB (or two). Is it okay to plug a powerbar into a standard grounded power strip? And if so, would it be okay to plug more than one powerbar into the same power strip?
Lol I did works fine for me

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say daisy chaining is frowned upon and for good reason. However i think the biggest reason(though i am sure not the only reason) is it makes it more likely you are going to overload the circuit and/or the inline powerstrip. I do daisy chain at times and personally feel comfortable as long as i am confident that i am not overloading any powerstrip(or the circuit itself). For example i wont daisy chain so that i can get 3 400w heaters and 6 high power lights all together going to the same powerbar or circuit. I will daisy chain if it means i can get several relatively low power wavemakers going.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say daisy chaining is frowned upon and for good reason. However i think the biggest reason(though i am sure not the only reason) is it makes it more likely you are going to overload the circuit and/or the inline powerstrip. I do daisy chain at times and personally feel comfortable as long as i am confident that i am not overloading any powerstrip(or the circuit itself). For example i wont daisy chain so that i can get 3 400w heaters and 6 high power lights all together going to the same powerbar or circuit. I will daisy chain if it means i can get several relatively low power wavemakers going.
So then our controller powerbars ARE considered the same as a power strip, in that plugging a powerbar into a power strip initiates a daisy chain effect? (Mind you, I get everything else you said. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Just double-checking about this part.)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then our controller powerbars ARE considered the same as a power strip, in that plugging a powerbar into a power strip initiates a daisy chain effect? (Mind you, I get everything else you said. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Just double-checking about this part.)
You daisy chain the pab connections to have more Power Bars attached to your profilux. But depending out what is plugged in attach to each to different outlets, and or circuit breakers.

This will vary greatly on your tank as well as the breakers in your panel that the outlets you use attach too. When my tank was setup(i moved and tankless )

my 40 gallon breeder display tank ran off one circuit, only my lights and heater drew particularly large power. But i like automation so had quite a bit low power items that also used this circuit, resulting in more power bars.

I ran my freshwater planted off an entirely different circuit as this also had high power lights and a heater.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well i can only say that is how i have used them in the past lol and have no firsthand knowledge of using a GHL in that manner(or at all) i was mostly speaking to the concept of daisy chaining and at least in theory i dont see why the GHL powerbar is really different in that regard. A powerbar is essentially an advanced powerstrip with a connection to the brain that makes them controllable, but nothing that would eliminate the same potential daisy chain issues that can occur when plugging powerstrips into eachother.

Again just to clarify I have no firsthand knowledge of GHL powerbars so take my comments with a grain of salt i guess!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back