GHL ProfiLux4 owners

Scale of 1-10, How do you like your GHL controller set up? (10’s the best)

• Total voters

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using GHL to monitor their Vortec Pumps? I'd like to see how GHL shows Vortec Data and if it can control the pumps as well. Also can GHL display or connect to Ecotech Back up battery? I'd like to monitory the battery power making sure it's ready to go at all times.

@Ditto

As an extension of this question, so the breakout box will let you control only the Vortech power heads but not the Vectra Pump??

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Ditto

As an extension of this question, so the breakout box will let you control only the Vortech power heads but not the Vectra Pump??
Correcting myself, I meant Vortex Power heads not vectra pump. I have MP10 and 40.

However, I'd also like to know it these can connect to Varios return pumps.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correcting myself, I meant Vortex Power heads not vectra pump. I have MP10 and 40.

However, I'd also like to know it these can connect to Varios return pumps.

No need to correct yourself you asked the right question earlier I was just wondering if it will control the vectra as well or no. From what I understand it can definitely control the Varios and almost any 0-10v controlled DC pump I'm just not certain on the Vectra.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vortech controller module only supports the MP10. MP40 and MP60 and not the Vectra pumps.

Other pumps can be controlled via the 1-10’port if they have one through the GHL Breakout box.

Hope that clears things up :)

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The vortech controller module only supports the MP10. MP40 and MP60 and not the Vectra pumps.

Other pumps can be controlled via the 1-10’port if they have one through the GHL Breakout box.

Hope that clears things up :)
Yes it does, thanks @Ditto ! I wish I could go back to this years Orlando RAP and talk to them so badly.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can download the GHL connect app and do just about everything from here. What you can not do from the tablet will be(i might miss somethings i am not an expert lol)
1.) firmware update need a windows pc for this
2.) calibrate sensors, this is done from the actual keys on the p4.

There might be more i have only had it for a week [emoji23]

But control an outlet, setup timers, change lighting, view sensor data, view alarms. Its on that tablet.

1155004ab52e55904d5ecff6c08ab0f6.jpg

Example of outlet control from the connect app. Bad example as its barely more than a ph monitor and temperature controller till i make some adjustments.

Are they planning on porting the firmware update to the IOS app? I'm a Mac person and I don't own or wish to own a Windows based product. Yes, I can dual boot my Mac and put the Windows OS on it, but why should I have to go through all the loops. Don't get me wrong, I used Windows products for years, I even have a son that works for Microsoft lol. I just don't want to purchase a Windows product just to do firmware updates on my aquarium controller.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can download the GHL connect app and do just about everything from here. What you can not do from the tablet will be(i might miss somethings i am not an expert lol)
1.) firmware update need a windows pc for this
2.) calibrate sensors, this is done from the actual keys on the p4.

There might be more i have only had it for a week [emoji23]...
The desktop software, GHL Control Center, is needed to backup and restore device settings. I'm not aware if there are other means to do this.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The desktop software, GHL Control Center, is needed to backup and restore device settings. I'm not aware if there are other means to do this.

The GHL Control Center does it require a Windows OS to operate?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my P4 and rate it a 8-9. I've had it for ~6 months with no issues affecting tank operation. I have nothing else to compare it to, but setup is fairly straight forward. Like anything else, you need to read/watch the resources and understand how the settings and features work. For example, the high and low temperature alarms are a calculation based upon your temperature sensor settings. The resource guides detail these calculations.

Once I applied my settings I initiated various scenarios to see how the controller reacted, then adjusted if things didn't react as I expected them to. Which in cases they did not. Examples of scenarios I ran were: high temp, low temp, power fail, level sensor actuation and PAB comm failure.

The only thing my controller really controls is temperature. I mainly use it for monitoring, alarm, notification and turning off multiple pieces of equipment in maintenance modes. All of my Powerbar sockets default on for a PAB comm failure, with the exception of the heaters. No heat is something that I think I would have time to respond to. I use Ehiems with thermostats so I could default one of those to on as well, but why take a chance. My other equipment I use the supplied controllers (e.g. Tunze powerheads, Tunze Skimmer, Osmolator and LX7). I see no need to put all my eggs in one basket.

I like all the methods you can connect to it. Web Interface, Hotspot, USB, GCC and App. I use GCC to make any permanent changes to the system. That way I can backup the configuration.

I setup a daily text notification to ensure the P4 is still communication with the outside world and that the email provider I'm using (Outlook) has not blocked the emails. Which it has a couple of times, thinking that the emails from Germany were suspicious.

This is one thing I don't think GHL has, is a heartbeat to let you know if the controller stopped communicating with MyGHL. Does anyone know? To me, I think this is a very important feature that should be there.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like my P4 and rate it a 8-9. I've had it for ~6 months with no issues affecting tank operation. I have nothing else to compare it to, but setup is fairly straight forward. Like anything else, you need to read/watch the resources and understand how the settings and features work. For example, the high and low temperature alarms are a calculation based upon your temperature sensor settings. The resource guides detail these calculations.

Once I applied my settings I initiated various scenarios to see how the controller reacted, then adjusted if things didn't react as I expected them to. Which in cases they did not. Examples of scenarios I ran were: high temp, low temp, power fail, level sensor actuation and PAB comm failure.

The only thing my controller really controls is temperature. I mainly use it for monitoring, alarm, notification and turning off multiple pieces of equipment in maintenance modes. All of my Powerbar sockets default on for a PAB comm failure, with the exception of the heaters. No heat is something that I think I would have time to respond to. I use Ehiems with thermostats so I could default one of those to on as well, but why take a chance. My other equipment I use the supplied controllers (e.g. Tunze powerheads, Tunze Skimmer, Osmolator and LX7). I see no need to put all my eggs in one basket.

I like all the methods you can connect to it. Web Interface, Hotspot, USB, GCC and App. I use GCC to make any permanent changes to the system. That way I can backup the configuration.

I setup a daily text notification to ensure the P4 is still communication with the outside world and that the email provider I'm using (Outlook) has not blocked the emails. Which it has a couple of times, thinking that the emails from Germany were suspicious.

This is one thing I don't think GHL has, is a heartbeat to let you know if the controller stopped communicating with MyGHL. Does anyone know? To me, I think this is a very important feature that should be there.
Thanks for the input and really good question. I’d like to know when a device such as this no longer has connection. Hoping someone will chime in.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I am at reefaplooza I will ask when Heartbeat and Firmware updates are coming :)
That would be awesome, thanks. Please post anything new you learn at RAP that may help others like me that are considering GHL. I’d love to know what’s on the horizon for them.

Bigboned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I jump in and ask a controller related question? As the khd and dosers and soon ion D can be all stand alone- what does a controller do other than control lighting ( which generally can be done stand alone) and ‘display’ info? Sorry for what is probably a dumb question- what is the orp probes for?
Love the aesthetics of ghl by the way

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back