GHL set-up help

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. Honestly, I'd pay someone to set this up. The GHL system is perhaps the most user unfriendly system I've touched in... I dunno... forever? I literally can't remember ever working with a system this obtuse since maybe the early 90's...

Sorry for the frustration, but I've just spend 2 hours trying to figure out how to actually connect to my Profilux 4, and as far as I've gotten, I have to log on to my home network, open the GHL Connect App to log in to my GHL account, then change network to the Profilux hotspot (but without closing the app), which then gets me access to the Profilux. But then I can't access anything else like, I dunno, watching youtube videos to actually try and figure out how all this works. If I try connecting to the Profilux directly from my home network, it says "Establishing connection" and then "Connection failed". The only way I can access the profilux is to do the two step with my home network and then the profilux hotspot.

Sigh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm in the same boat. Honestly, I'd pay someone to set this up. The GHL system is perhaps the most user unfriendly system I've touched in... I dunno... forever? I literally can't remember ever working with a system this obtuse since maybe the early 90's...

Sorry for the frustration, but I've just spend 2 hours trying to figure out how to actually connect to my Profilux 4, and as far as I've gotten, I have to log on to my home network, open the GHL Connect App to log in to my GHL account, then change network to the Profilux hotspot (but without closing the app), which then gets me access to the Profilux. But then I can't access anything else like, I dunno, watching youtube videos to actually try and figure out how all this works. If I try connecting to the Profilux directly from my home network, it says "Establishing connection" and then "Connection failed". The only way I can access the profilux is to do the two step with my home network and then the profilux hotspot.

Sigh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
@Vinny@GHLUSA could we do a Q&A on this thread with you for other people to follow along? They may be wondering the same questions.
I, for one, will be following as I can't seems to figure it out either.....

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, just to say it, it's very clear that this system is very powerful and I'm looking forward to getting it going. But lordy do they sure make it hard. Maybe it's a test: they don't want you to have ultimate power unless you've paid the price... in damaged brain cells. Heh.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the videos twice. Find instructions online and read twice. Then slowly attempt to do anything. Have 6 pack, well, probably, 12 pack of beer or your favorite adult beverage, and an entire day where you have nothing else to do and no one bugging you. You might get it set up if you do this. You might not run the profilux over or smash it with a hammer. More likely, you'll still have problems, but at least --at this point of hours of trying--you'll be able to hold a conversation with some one reef2reef to help you.

For every new thing you want to do, have another day and 12 pack of beer...

Just a reality with GHL products... Setup is TERRIBLE. Usability is TERRIBLE. Any little thing set wrong--and it will not work. The instructions online have just enough information to get you setup and nothing more. Videos do not contain all needed information. Read the instructions too. Do not expect to understand why you are doing things. Just do what the instructions say and triple check you have clicked the exact boxes and followed them exactly.

After months of swearing you may start to understand the programming a little better.

After years, hopefully, it may only take a couple beers to do anything...

Do not expect the app to connect reliably or fast; have really low expectations there, and instead of being mind numbingly aggravated you be pleasantly surprised with when it connects.

Leave the USB cable in the machine and hanging out of your cabinet, so when you actually need to do something timely--you connect a laptop. That is only reliable connection.

The tradeoff for this eternal frustration is hopefully the hardware is a good as lots say and nothing breaks.

Hope that helps! Low expectations is the key and you may actually live with your "investment" in spending your life programing, re-programing, and swearing at you GHL.

And don't worry--instead of creating (fixing!) a user friendly and reliable interface/software--GHL will keep making new hardware instead-- that you can pre-order and wait years to receive! :)

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL, sad but true. The hardware is built like a tank. I have one of there dosers. It took a bit to get it working. However once I got it working it has worked great for the last three years. Now I’m getting ready to buy a KHD. I guess I haven’t learned my lesson.

Scotts210g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing Vinny will send you is old youtube videos that do not answer any questions or resolve anything. When the GHL actually connects, which is excessively rare, it's a great system.
I gave up trying to connect the Profilux 4 to the internet or access the hotspot - the only solution is to hardwire it to a laptop.
If you are thinking of getting a GHL - don't - not until they actually fix their connection issues.
Sorry GHL - I was a huge fan - but not any longer.

Scotts210g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA could we do a Q&A on this thread with you for other people to follow along? They may be wondering the same questions.
He will never answer - they just send out antiquated youtube videos which answer nothing.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The software is awful i agree. Took a long time to set up a GHL doser. Once I stumbled on successfully connecting it though it has worked great.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL, sad but true. The hardware is built like a tank. I have one of there dosers. It took a bit to get it working. However once I got it working it has worked great for the last three years. Now I’m getting ready to buy a KHD. I guess I haven’t learned my lesson.
With KHD, get an accurate gram scale, like drug dealers use. Meaure you're tubing three times. Be very sure your pumps and ph probes are calibrated correctly. Be very sure of tubing length. The ph probe in the unit goes in a certain way or it will leak. Do not use tools to tighten--you probably have it wrong if you think you need a wrench. Watch for leaks. There's only two ways to stack the kh director and required dosing pump. Make sure that works for your cabinet. Hit save like 100 times when doing anything. Drain tubes before first test, except reagent tube needs to be primed and vented. Venting reagent tube, flushing lines, emptying cell are things to do if u get wacko teafings at first. Take like 4 measurements in an hour or so . If they vary then calibration is probably off somewhere...

Dont expect "lab" quality readings or it to consistent with say a hanna. It might be one day and then another 0.5kdh different... do at least a 80 ml sample size for any semblance of accuracy.

I would never trust it to control dosing. Many things can go wrong. It wont test again after a wacko reading to verify.

The vent tube must not be submerged or it will read wacko.

As to a positive, your'e fine dumping waste back into your sump, no need to collect.

EDIT: This is a 12 pack project, take your time. You cannot install and calibr calibrate a kh director quickly

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah…. I started to understand that you need to first connect directly to the Profilux’s access point and then from there set up ANOTHER “device” that is the ProfIlux via IP address. At least that’s as much as I’ve figured out after another 2 or 3 hours of the youtubes. Except when I try to set up a specific IP address device, I still can’t connect from my wifi network.

And now I can’t even connect directly through the ProfIlux hotspot.

Sigh. this Is definitely not designed with any user friendliness in mind. makes you really wonder if they made it this terribad on purpose :p

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got to a point i can:

(1) connect to GHL Connect, and wait, and wait, and wait to be able to do anything (hour glass icons for days, seems like..) ... I have to wait about 40 seconds to a couple minutes each time to try to connect or switch menu items. Pretty much like using dial up 30 years ago...

Or (2) i select GHL's wifi connection directly on my phone (disconnect normal internet and connect to profilux via wifi directly). This is quite fast once connected. It's just retarded that i have to disconnect my internet on my phone and the app can't automatically do that to connect, with permissions, or whatever. Better would be to stay connected to the internet while connected directly to the GHl...

Caveat: Neither options (1) or (2) always works. It's random if they do or don't. I have re-start the app a few times fairly often. That will get it to work usually.

I went back and forth with a buddy for a couple hours, between static and automatic connection and selecting and/or verifying IP addresses ( 1990's style, manually, connecting to the internet and BS like that)--and there was no difference. I just think the app is really buggy. My wifi is amazing. It's not meshed. It's 2.4. And the signal is outstanding.

Really, the only reliable connection is USB..

Hey, but as for good news: i spent another day setting up this INSANE software for maintenance modes.

I think i even have some delays setup for things come back on later than others when i shut off the maintenance mode. Let's emphasize the word "think", lol.

Really wonderful that if you want an outlet in the power board to do more than one thing--you must enter multiple advanced programming settings--that you CANNOT RENAME--and have to remember what they are, and have to (randomly?) "invert" here or there, (no idea why i am "invert[ing]" because it does not say why to in the instructions) and inverting makes no sense to me....

Anyway, it's fine. It's really cumbersome unpolished and not user friendly software. It wouldn't be so bad if all software was like this and being an IT tech was required knowledge to just use a phone or computer.. But nothing---and i mean nothing --- sold today is anything like setting up a GHL or even just getting it connected to the internet. I mean nothing...

But if you have the time, practice all the time, and are really good at watching youtube videos and hitting the pause and remind buttons and have a second screen on your computer to read instructions at the same time--you can get it to work, hopefully, albeit with some quirks... and just cross your fingers too.

Man--and anyone reading this--go back up your GHL settings now. Write them down somewhere else too... remember that firmware updates screw you on things virtual probes--that have to be set up on the unit (and can't be set up through the software????!!!).

It would be nightmare if you lost your settings--unless you miraculously actually remember what the heck to do to set this up! I certainly would not remember any of my settings a few days after entering them.... You just have plug in whatever the instructions say.. there is no language or logic to learn.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away.

i've got to a point i can:

(1) connect to GHL Connect, and wait, and wait, and wait to be able to do anything (hour glass icons for days, seems like..) ... I have to wait about 40 seconds to a couple minutes each time to try to connect or switch menu items. Pretty much like using dial up 30 years ago...

Or (2) i select GHL's wifi connection directly on my phone (disconnect normal internet and connect to profilux via wifi directly). This is quite fast once connected. It's just retarded that i have to disconnect my internet on my phone and the app can't automatically do that to connect, with permissions, or whatever. Better would be to stay connected to the internet while connected directly to the GHl...

Caveat: Neither options (1) or (2) always works. It's random if they do or don't. I have re-start the app a few times fairly often. That will get it to work usually.

I went back and forth with a buddy for a couple hours, between static and automatic connection and selecting and/or verifying IP addresses ( 1990's style, manually, connecting to the internet and BS like that)--and there was no difference. I just think the app is really buggy. My wifi is amazing. It's not meshed. It's 2.4. And the signal is outstanding.

Really, the only reliable connection is USB..
Unfortunately, the picture painted above is pretty extreme and makes it seem like that's going to happen to everyone which is misleading. From what you've described, there are some local network troubles that need addressing. You pointed it out yourself when you said it's much quicker when connecting directly through the Hotspot...The problem is only when connecting through your network.

Speed and load times are heavily dependent on stability of the Wi-Fi signal.

Here's an example of the typical load times one will see when connecting through their own Wi-Fi on the app. It's quick and responsive on a clean network.
GHL app speed.gif

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not mistaken @Ditto has done quite a few recent tutorials and videos on just about everything GHL. FWIW I don't even bother with the WiFi, I have wasted many a day trying to make it work and now I just leave a laptop hooked up, not an option for everyone unfortunately.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m going have to say that just pushing off the issue to “user [network] error“ is a bit of a copout here. Which to me even more highlights the issue: sure, make something really hard to use and of course your average non tech users are going to have problems/errors with it. If you only want to cater to those who have the expertise to use your products without fault, then you’re going to get posts like these which in the end cost you money because I suspect that the market for tech savvy reefers is slightly less than non-tech savvy reefers. Ultimately I don’t run an aquarium controller company so I don’t know the calculus here, but I do know that the software itself is,in all frankness, really bad.

that being said, it seems a very strong consensus that the GHL hardware is much more robust than the Apex hardware so I’m willing to take the software headaches in exchange for presumably less hardware headaches. One is convenience and one is survival.

But from my non-business average joe perspective, I’d think GHL would get so much more market share by hiring a UX person.

no one here is asking for some new feature to be developed. We’re just asking for someone to streamline the process by which we users can actually use all the wonderful features you’ve already spent the time, effort, and money to develop.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away.

Unfortunately, the picture painted above is pretty extreme and makes it seem like that's going to happen to everyone which is misleading. From what you've described, there are some local network troubles that need addressing. You pointed it out yourself when you said it's much quicker when connecting directly through the Hotspot...The problem is only when connecting through your network.

Here's an example of the typical load times one will see when connecting through their own Wi-Fi on the app. It's quick and responsive on a clean network.
GHL app speed.gif

I think you need to do just do a search on reef2reef about connecting GHL profilux to the internet before asserting i did something wrong....

Compare those search results with search results for people having problems connecting an Apex or hydros or really anything else to internet..........

The problem is both direct connect and through wifi. Restarting the app, a couple times, will often get it to connect.

While appreciate you defending your employer's company and telling me that i did something wrong or that my premium package wifi, router/modem, signal is somehow the problem--what you are not addressing is the insane amount of time and procedure it takes to set this thing up.

What i will say is that my computer runs on wifi and is 5 feet from my profilux. So does mt phone. Here is my wifi signal next to the profilux:

Screenshot_20211212-140818_Nighthawk.jpg

Regardless, i think i can universally say for GHL owners and potential buyers, serious improvements to the software interface addressing usability issues would be extremely appreciated.

Right now, i feel GHL's position is that there are no issues with the software, it's the greatest, easy to use and setup, stupid Americans and anyone who thinks otherwise is just an idiot or has bad wifi, and it's their fault they cant make the obviously perfect product work.

I tend to think that great products work for everyone and make it easy for people to use. This is where GHL is sorely lacking.

Please, for the love of god, let people, like me who have spent thousands on these units, know that improvements are coming to software usability--not just new hardware gizmos that we have to wait years for and often dont need--especially compared to daily interactions with the app that are 100% necessary...

Please dont take this the wrong way. I am not trying be overly critical, just blunt. The amount of time i spend on this GHL rivals studying for the bar exam, lol.

Please let me know GHL is working on its interface. At least then I'll have hope and reason to wait and keep my ghl.

Scotts210g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away.

GHL app speed.gif
@Vinny@GHLUSA I don't think the argument really is about the user speed - I think it is just fine. It is just getting to the actual screen and getting it connected to the internet that is the greatest frustration. It is insanely easy to screw up the GHL - just clicking on the access point shuts off the GHL wifi and it does not turn on.
I have been your biggest cheerleader for GHL - I think it is far superior product to anything on the market anywere.
We just cannot get it to connect to wifi - no matter what we do.
I am not alone - bottom line.
Without the Profilux 4 and internet access - it's pretty much a door stop.
Sorry man - we will keep hammering this home until it is fixed.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these cheaper tablets, which i hope will be an end round connectivity issues.

1639368163277.png

My thought is to just mount this inside my aquarium cabinet with a USB C cord permanently charging it. Hopefully, i can download the GHL app, connect to the GHL profilux wifi connection directly, and disable any sleep timers, etc. on the tablet so the GHL just app just stays permanently connected, on, and up.

Not perfect, but hoping this aids me in not losing my mind--with connectivity issues--when trying to turn on and off things when doing maintenance... It's so frustrating to be in the middle on some wet and nasty task and wanting a pump on or off and having deal with app that won't connect...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back