Giant bristle worm issue

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, R2R Members,

Apparently, I have a giant bristle worm living in my ten gallon live rock/shrimp tank. Questions: 1) do I need to take this sucker out; 2) if so, how do I do it; and 3) what do I do with it? (i.e. would anyone want it? Is there somewhere I can take it?)

This dude is probably a foot long, if I had to guess. I only recently saw it when I went to get a glass of water at three a.m....almost dropped the glass. I don’t think it’s of the fire variety, as it when I shined a flashlight in, it appeared rather pale and its appendages were not flame-colored. It must hide in the live rock during the day. I’m going to try to get a photo, but as soon as it sees light, it’s like the creature in Alien—it withdraws and disappears.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they sell traps that people 3d print, you can find them on ebay or etsy . throw a hunk of shrimp in there, he definatley will find it:p

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not hurting anything, it is considered a good member of a clean up crew! If you have a sump, you can always toss him in there as well.

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, thank you both! I never thought of putting it in the sump for my 80 gallon.

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms being good or bad for tanks has always been contentious... personally I’m not a fan especially when there’s corals in the tank. Getting it out by hand will be impossible, you have to trap it. They sell traps online but I’ve made my own which works better for the big ones. Get a empty plastic water bottle, take off the lid, fill it with tank water, and put a big cube of stinky fish food in the bottom. Drop the bottle in after the tank lights go out and come back in a couple hours, you should see the smell of the food lure the worm into the bottle where you can then pull out the bottle. Just be aware of other favorable livestock that might venture into the bottle, you’ll have to pour the contents and separate the animals out. I hope this isn’t cruel but I dispose of the worms with no remorse lol.

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they sell traps that people 3d print, you can find them on ebay or etsy . throw a hunk of shrimp in there, he definatley will find it:p
Do you think I can put a huge bottle with some shrimp in it and catch the guy?

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms being good or bad for tanks has always been contentious... personally I’m not a fan especially when there’s corals in the tank. Getting it out by hand will be impossible, you have to trap it. They sell traps online but I’ve made my own which works better for the big ones. Get a empty plastic water bottle, take off the lid, fill it with tank water, and put a big cube of stinky fish food in the bottom. Drop the bottle in after the tank lights go out and come back in a couple hours, you should see the smell of the food lure the worm into the bottle where you can then pull out the bottle. Just be aware of other favorable livestock that might venture into the bottle, you’ll have to pour the contents and separate the animals out. I hope this isn’t cruel but I dispose of the worms with no remorse lol.
Thanks for the advice. This guy is a heavy. I think I will give the bottle trap option a try. If shrimp end up in there with him, hopefully I can get them out.

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, I have a giant bristle worm living in my ten gallon live rock/shrimp tank. Questions: 1) do I need to take this sucker out; 2) if so, how do I do it; and 3) what do I do with it? (i.e. would anyone want it? Is there somewhere I can take it?)

This dude is probably a foot long, if I had to guess. I only recently saw it when I went to get a glass of water at three a.m....almost dropped the glass. I don’t think it’s of the fire variety, as it when I shined a flashlight in, it appeared rather pale and its appendages were not flame-colored. It must hide in the live rock during the day. I’m going to try to get a photo, but as soon as it sees light, it’s like the creature in Alien—it withdraws and disappears.

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! I’ve laid a trap tonight, we’ll see what happens. I will post results.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they sell this liquid acrylic for making novelties like paper weights. Back in the day used to see scorpions et encased in the stuff ...
I suggest the worm would be best appreciated and enjoyed ‘eternalized” in clear acrylic

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The
they sell this liquid acrylic for making novelties like paper weights. Back in the day used to see scorpions et encased in the stuff ...
I suggest the worm would be best appreciated and enjoyed ‘eternalized” in clear acrylic
I never thought of that. I’m still waiting for the worm...refreshed my bait bottle this evening (the shrimp ate the bait, what a surprise). It is proving to be rather wily.

Back