Gif showing 30 days of SPS growth

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I have a camera permanently mounted and a Raspberry Pi which takes regular pictures. This tank is still very young, but this GIF flips between photos that are from Yesterday, and 31 days ago. (Please give it a sec to load)

Just wanted to share!
EDIT --- Although this works in the Edit Context when I post it nothing happens :(
This link has the GIF:

Hope you like it!
Whiskey

Last edited:

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which camera do you use for this? I was doing this manually for a while but got tired/swapped iPhones which made the pictures impossible to line up.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, love the pieces in the tank.
How long has the tank been up and did you start with live rock?
So,.. the tank had been a leather and mushroom tank for a while, and I bought it used 5ish months ago. I then moved it, and had to move it again right after. It was a dumb time to buy because I was moving, but the deal was so good I couldn't pass it up.

My understanding is that it had been up for a long time as a leather/Mushroom tank, and that the rock was live when the tank was setup. It took some amount of reconfiguring in methodology and equipment to work as an SPS tank though.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which camera do you use for this? I was doing this manually for a while but got tired/swapped iPhones which made the pictures impossible to line up.

At first I was using a Rasperry Pi cam which costs something like $30, you can see that setup here:

When I moved to Oklahoma I needed to move the camera across the room and that camera was no longer the best choice. I wanted to pickup a new DSLR anyway, so I decided to use my Canon T4i with the 75-300 Kit lens that it came with. That is mounted (bolted down) above my cabinets in the kitchen and I never touch it.

Whiskey

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 28 20.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 33 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back