Gift tank

Jsscahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first post and first tank. While I have a bit of experience maintaining other's tanks, this is my first personal tank. Any and all advice is welcome It's 27 gallons(or so I was told), and has a 3 chamber filtration system in the back. Standard cube tank from what I've seen, and I am in love. However, that is literally all the information I have about it. No idea what types of anemone or coral are in it, how old the live rock in it is or even how long the tank was established before it was given to me. I've had it a little over two weeks now, and I'm super pleased with how everything is settling in. The anemone seem relaxed and open, the flow seems about right, the coral is bright and newly polyping, and all the new algae that's developed is a nice deep green color along with the stuff that was there turning from brown to green. I've got a clown(seen in like every pic bc he's super grumpy and always wants to attack me/my phone), a purple and yellow slim guy who's name is escaping me, and a lil goby in there that came with the tank.

What would you say to look out for? Common pitfalls?
What the heck kind of inverts do I have in there
And finally; what would your advice be moving forward? My ideal would be a variety of coral and anemone in with some different clowns to keep them happy. Maybe a sea cucumber to help my goby out, and a shrimp or two while they last. Essentially a reef tank with clown fish that's it's own ecosystem for the most part. What other fish can hang with the clowns while also not being so aggressive they kill them?

Thank you to anyone who made it this far, and extra thanks to those who respond ☺️

Snapchat-671832942.jpg Snapchat-244005916.jpg Snapchat-1257127505.jpg Snapchat-606361067.jpg Snapchat-749694772.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-935194833.mp4
    1.3 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple and yellow fish is probably a royal gramma.
Or a bicolor dottyback (not sure if it pops up in video - It doesn’t open on the phone).

My best advice is to take it slow and do lots of research. The last thing you want to do is make a big mistake that could easily be avoided by a bit of reading.
Better pics would help for a lot of IDs, but in order I’m seeing a lobophytum leather, some type of clove polyp + the anemone (might be a bta, condy, or sebae nem), cyphastrea?, and a type of mushroom coral. I can’t make out what the coral behind the shrooms is.

As for good tankmates - clowns can be real psychos. Orange or white ones aren’t as bad as the black morphs though. I’d go for a smaller blenny like a Tailspot blenny and a type of shrimp goby + pistol shrimp (if you don’t already have one).
Welcome to the forum!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see:
conylactus anemone
devils hand leather
What looks like very bleached hammer coral (may be lighting issue)
Green yuma mushrooms
Green star galaxea
Percula clown

Need closer Pic on the basslet fish
Dead coral looks like pavona

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like out are earnest in your desire to do this right and will find lots of help here

Agree with the concern about a second clown, we can talk you through different ways to improve your chances to avoid a problem

should get test kits for nitrates and phosphates, or get a good relationship with the local fish store to test for you.

Can you get pictures of 1) the light 2) the purple fish and tell us what is in your filter

the tank appears stable, and seems like it went through a rough patch a while back, and lets try to make sure it keeps on an upward slope

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't look a gift tank in the mouth! Wait, that's not right...

Your goby does not need a sea cucumber and, probably, neither do you: you can really nuke your tank if you get the wrong one and it dies at the wrong time. Perhaps you're thinking of a pistol shrimp, which often pairs up with gobies (but not always).

OP
OP
Jsscahd

Jsscahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't look a gift tank in the mouth! Wait, that's not right...

Your goby does not need a sea cucumber and, probably, neither do you: you can really nuke your tank if you get the wrong one and it dies at the wrong time. Perhaps you're thinking of a pistol shrimp, which often pairs up with gobies (but not always).
I know he doesn't neeeed a sea cucumber, but I want one of the little weirdos. They just look so funky and I love them. And yes, I was referring to a pistol shrimp.
PS I've been an avid equestrian my whole life and appreciate the nod to the old adage ❤️

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only echinoderms I’d consider are brittle stars and urchins.
All sea stars that can be purchased will eventually starve to death, and cucumbers will expel their guts when stressed and kill everything in the tank.

OP
OP
Jsscahd

Jsscahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like out are earnest in your desire to do this right and will find lots of help here

Agree with the concern about a second clown, we can talk you through different ways to improve your chances to avoid a problem

should get test kits for nitrates and phosphates, or get a good relationship with the local fish store to test for you.

Can you get pictures of 1) the light 2) the purple fish and tell us what is in your filter

the tank appears stable, and seems like it went through a rough patch a while back, and lets try to make sure it keeps on an upward slope
For the clowns, I was thinking a nice big carpet anemone to keep them happy. I've got the one that starts with and o and is the "false" clown, and was thinking about getting a pink skunk clown for the carpet anemone seeing as how mine already has the two he's attached to.

Luckily for me, the local fish shop is pretty cool and not only has water ready for your needs but is also cool with testing my water(and it's not a Petco either).

I've attached pics of the wool I use in the filter. The first compartment is the intake, the middle has water flowing down into it from the intake through the wool and rocks over slatted balls roiling around in there, pulled by the sump into the third compartment and then pushed back into the tank.

I have also attached a picture of the light, which is USB controlled and I have set to match the sunset/sunrise times here and the same quality of light. Seems to be perfect for what I've got going on

Attachments

• Snapchat-2095720121.jpg
    Snapchat-2095720121.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 20
  • Snapchat-2029673478.jpg
    Snapchat-2029673478.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 17

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn’t mix an occelaris with a skunk, at least in so small a tank. Occys can get mean and probably wouldn’t be fond of the other clownfish.
Also, be careful with nems. They like to move and sting (potentially killing) corals.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the clowns, I was thinking a nice big carpet anemone to keep them happy. I've got the one that starts with and o and is the "false" clown, and was thinking about getting a pink skunk clown for the carpet anemone seeing as how mine already has the two he's attached to.

Luckily for me, the local fish shop is pretty cool and not only has water ready for your needs but is also cool with testing my water(and it's not a Petco either).

I've attached pics of the wool I use in the filter. The first compartment is the intake, the middle has water flowing down into it from the intake through the wool and rocks over slatted balls roiling around in there, pulled by the sump into the third compartment and then pushed back into the tank.

I have also attached a picture of the light, which is USB controlled and I have set to match the sunset/sunrise times here and the same quality of light. Seems to be perfect for what I've got going on
Nice that the LFS is helping you out, and as you build your system track the Nitrates, with them or get a kit. Salifert is fine for beginners.
Capet Anemones, on the other hand are not. Would suggest they are an intermediate anemone, because most experienced people know better. That is just my opinion other will disagree
AS to another clown think the best chance you have is to get a small isolation chamber for the tank, there are DIY approaches you can use, get a smaller version of of the same clown you have, let them see each other for a week and then see how it goes. Really think the tank is too small for two different species, and best hope is to get one to get along with the one you have, or donate that to a shop and get a pair to start over with.

still need to know for sure what that other purple and yellow fish is. - gramma or dotty before know what else might go well

Light does look good for purposes intended - that's great.

OP
OP
Jsscahd

Jsscahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice that the LFS is helping you out, and as you build your system track the Nitrates, with them or get a kit. Salifert is fine for beginners.
Capet Anemones, on the other hand are not. Would suggest they are an intermediate anemone, because most experienced people know better. That is just my opinion other will disagree
AS to another clown think the best chance you have is to get a small isolation chamber for the tank, there are DIY approaches you can use, get a smaller version of of the same clown you have, let them see each other for a week and then see how it goes. Really think the tank is too small for two different species, and best hope is to get one to get along with the one you have, or donate that to a shop and get a pair to start over with.

still need to know for sure what that other purple and yellow fish is. - gramma or dotty before know what else might go well

Light does look good for purposes intended - that's great.
Sorry, I thought I previously mentioned it is a Royal Gramma. My train of thought with the pink skunk is I've read they're relaxed enough not to go out of their way to be feisty and don't mind sharing space. I have a 12 gallon cube tank exactly like my reef tank and right next to it that I want to turn into a quarantine tank, but it's currently fresh water and full of gouramis(2 regular and a dwarf). They *could* go in with my cichlid based off their personalities and his current size, but it's only a ten gallon tank and I don't want them all crowded in there. I've thought about separating the dwarf and giving him to my kid but honestly I can't bring myself to do it I feel like he'd be so lonely in there all by himself. Once I figure all that out though what you suggested above was my exact plan. I'm way too attached to my ornery guy to give him away, and was hoping to find another kind that could vibe with him for variety. Certainly not set on the idea though as keeping what I have happy is more important to me, and if the one I have could keep up with the amount of anemone I want I'm fine with that. Having a harmonious tank is the true end goal.

I'm hoping to add two slightly longer anemone for that flowing look, although I haven't settled on specific types yet. My real interest is in the coral though, the anemone are to fill in the open space in the mid to upper part of the tank with their... Flagella? The carpet one was simply bc I thought the clowns would like it

OP
OP
Jsscahd

Jsscahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only echinoderms I’d consider are brittle stars and urchins.
All sea stars that can be purchased will eventually starve to death, and cucumbers will expel their guts when stressed and kill everything in the tank.
I've heard that a few times about cucumbers now and maybe I'll wait until I have a spare tank around just for it. I just love the way weird squishy stuff looks, what can I say. Another idea for wayyyy down the line that will also need their own tank is a leopard eel, but that's just a pipe dream for now. For some reason I have a feeling at some point down the line people will feel as though theyre underwater when they come over bc I'll have so many tanks

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that a few times about cucumbers now and maybe I'll wait until I have a spare tank around just for it. I just love the way weird squishy stuff looks, what can I say. Another idea for wayyyy down the line that will also need their own tank is a leopard eel, but that's just a pipe dream for now. For some reason I have a feeling at some point down the line people will feel as though theyre underwater when they come over bc I'll have so many tanks
There have been many reported reports of tank wipeouts when sea apples have died (starvation or dissection by impeller pump). Information about proper care and potential impact of sea cucumbers not in the pseudocolochirus (sea apple) genus is more scant. We just don't have that much information about other sea cucumbers commonly found in the aquarium trade, and there are a ton of them, so it makes it pretty risky to have them in a reef tank.

I inherited one sea cucumber that came on a plate coral, and it's pretty cryptic and doesn't really add any interest to the tank at all on a day-to-day basis. I agree that they're both cool and fascinating creatures...buy they're also vastly outnummbered by colourful and dynamic inverts that are much safer to put in your tank. Abalones look like a squishy ocarina, eat lots of algae, and are vastly underutilized, so I think that's a great place to start.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I thought I previously mentioned it is a Royal Gramma. My train of thought with the pink skunk is I've read they're relaxed enough not to go out of their way to be feisty and don't mind sharing space. I have a 12 gallon cube tank exactly like my reef tank and right next to it that I want to turn into a quarantine tank, but it's currently fresh water and full of gouramis(2 regular and a dwarf). They *could* go in with my cichlid based off their personalities and his current size, but it's only a ten gallon tank and I don't want them all crowded in there. I've thought about separating the dwarf and giving him to my kid but honestly I can't bring myself to do it I feel like he'd be so lonely in there all by himself. Once I figure all that out though what you suggested above was my exact plan. I'm way too attached to my ornery guy to give him away, and was hoping to find another kind that could vibe with him for variety. Certainly not set on the idea though as keeping what I have happy is more important to me, and if the one I have could keep up with the amount of anemone I want I'm fine with that. Having a harmonious tank is the true end goal.

I'm hoping to add two slightly longer anemone for that flowing look, although I haven't settled on specific types yet. My real interest is in the coral though, the anemone are to fill in the open space in the mid to upper part of the tank with their... Flagella? The carpet one was simply bc I thought the clowns would like it
It’s not really the skunk I’d be worried about, more that an established occy doesn’t like stealing space, and would likely kick the skunk out of the carpet nem.
What kind of cichlid? Some play nice with gourami, but for other species I wouldn’t give a gourami more than 10 minutes.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been many reported reports of tank wipeouts when sea apples have died (starvation or dissection by impeller pump). Information about proper care and potential impact of sea cucumbers not in the pseudocolochirus (sea apple) genus is more scant. We just don't have that much information about other sea cucumbers commonly found in the aquarium trade, and there are a ton of them, so it makes it pretty risky to have them in a reef tank.

I inherited one sea cucumber that came on a plate coral, and it's pretty cryptic and doesn't really add any interest to the tank at all on a day-to-day basis. I agree that they're both cool and fascinating creatures...buy they're also vastly outnummbered by colourful and dynamic inverts that are much safer to put in your tank. Abalones look like a squishy ocarina, eat lots of algae, and are vastly underutilized, so I think that's a great place to start.
I had a small yellow cucumber in my 75 for a few months. I'm pretty positive I saw my melanurus wrasse speed by and eat it. I'm not sure if he thought it was food, but I suppose I was lucky and had no issues.

OP
OP
Jsscahd

Jsscahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really the skunk I’d be worried about, more that an established occy doesn’t like stealing space, and would likely kick the skunk out of the carpet nem.
What kind of cichlid? Some play nice with gourami, but for other species I wouldn’t give a gourami more than 10 minutes.
He's an African cichlid(named Spencer), but an anomaly in my experience. He'd rather hide from other fish and mostly just wants to interact with me now that he realizes I don't want to eat him. My gouramis are an anomaly as well, one of the larger ones is highly aggressive for them and so is the dwarf, who I've seen defending the non-aggressive big guy from the other one. Spencer is slightly larger than the dwarf gourami right now, so I was thinking he could hold his own with the two big guys and then the dwarf could go on his own so he doesn't get eaten as Spencer gets bigger. But bc the other guys were big fish to him before he'll be less likely to try and eat them if his temperament changes with his size and I don't get them their own tank before then. It's also a long tank as opposed to a cube, with the type of foliage they could all have their own dens in far away from each other as opposed to on top of one another.

I could easily see my occy being a brat about sharing space, and it's not really feasible to put the nem and new clown in the tank at the same time bc I need to quarantine the new fish so he'd have plenty of time to claim the new nem(even if I put it on the side of the tank he doesn't really hang out on). Seems the back right corner of my tank is where he's claimed his territory. My main reason for wanting more clowns was bc I know they're somewhat necessary for keeping nems and I want as many of them in my tank as I can healthily fit with all the coral I want(which is my main focus). While I love fish, I am *obsessed* with the entirety of the ecosystem of a reef and how even the rock is alive and playing a part. That's what I'm really trying to cultivate, the ecosystem itself.

Back