Gigas Grow Out Thread

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is going nicely. Lights out tho. Try to get pic tomorrow. Likes to lay tilted wrong angle.
I have not seen them, but have not really looked either.

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine too is good. Contact ora and see if the still have then. You can't buy direct but they can find you a retail shop.

20220212_103713.jpg

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine too is good. Contact ora and see if the still have then. You can't buy direct but they can find you a retail shop.

20220212_103713.jpg
ORA is out right now. I got an order from Aqua SD, a couple of Crocea’s and asked about the Gigas. I wanted one a little larger then the 2 to 3 inch that they originally had as it was going into a populated 300 gallon and didn’t want to lose it. They reached out to ORA and were told that they are out of Gigas right now. I’m guessing that means out of a salable size. So still looking for maybe someone that bought from the original group that’s needs to part with theirs for whatever reason.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered if the gigas run from ORA was a one time thing myself as I never saw any that seemed to vary in age from the original import batch. With how big they get perhaps it makes sense for them to do a batch every several years vs continual production.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wondered if the gigas run from ORA was a one time thing myself as I never saw any that seemed to vary in age from the original import batch. With how big they get perhaps it makes sense for them to do a batch every several years vs continual production.
No, I was told there were more to come.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently spoke with someone in the know specifically about gigas availability, I was told that the majority of aquacultured gigas are being sent to restock the reefs that have been harvested for food. There are a few being released to ORA and the like but that they are very limited in numbers right now and very expensive. Hopefully they will be more available in the near future. The main thing I got out of this is that they are still be grown, just not specifically for the hobby.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those a blue squamosa hybrid of some sort both next to and below the gigas? They are beautiful.
Thanks. Those are Mimosas. They are beautiful. The big one is probably around 10 inches now and the smaller one about 8 inches.

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point should i worry about the mantle looking pinched? Noticed this yesterday. Busy week, may have been longer. Last night when he closed up it looked pretty normal. My skimmer failed a few days ago and i just found it last night.

20220605_112456.jpg

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen a true case of pinched mantle in many years now fwiw. However I have had many clams that mantles do pinch from hydroids or if chemistry gets off, but have always resolved themselves. At this point in the clam hobby I think many people jump to pinched mantle diagnosis and FW dip and do more harm than good stressing the clams when it’s other issues. My experience the past 5-10 years at least.

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered my salinity and mine started to look better. Then my skimmer quit and orp dropped off to 350 and now he is not fully open. Skimmer is up, did some water changes. Just trying to do the minimum until the new tank gets built.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back