Gigas Grow Out Thread

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more photos? I’d like to get one, but the CITES is too strict in Japan to get them. :(

Last edited:

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally took a few pictures last weekend. Here is one. I need to measure it.
tempImagelbBvvH.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, how do you guys get good top downs of your clams?

I currently have a deresa but every top down I get of him is very dark, even with a filter to kill blues it’s a dark top down.
809A8AF3-0839-4A6D-82AA-383705D8C6D6.jpeg

Loving the looks of the Gigas that have been shown. I wish I had the sump (or even tank) big enough for a gigas but currently I’m just sat with 4’x2’ and 3’x16” tanks.

Last edited:

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently have a deresa but every top down I get of him is very dark, even with a filter to kill blues it’s a dark top down.

Loving the looks of the Gigas that have been shown. I wish I had the sump (or even tank) big enough for a gigas but currently I’m just sat with 4’x2’ and 3’x16” tanks

Loving the looks of the Gigas that have been shown. I wish I had the sump (or even tank) big enough for a gigas but currently I’m just sat with 4’x2’ and 3’x16” tanks.
I just a photo box and usually my camera phone. Just make sure the camera is metering off the clam. I have primarily white light, which helps a lot.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely left plenty of open area for Clams when I set this tank up. The fact that a single Gigas might end up taking up all available space, is fine with me- We've all waited long enough to keep them again.
So why were Gigas gone for so long???
I used to own one 18 yrs ago.. but haven't seen them around until a few years ago....

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the whole thread, very cool to see the progress of these clams! I was tempted to scoop one up when they were released by ORA but I don't have space for a 30"+ clam.

For those interested Austin Aqua Farms currently has one for sale, pricey but considering the scarcity of this species, not wholly unwarranted.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through the whole thread, very cool to see the progress of these clams! I was tempted to scoop one up when they were released by ORA but I don't have space for a 30"+ clam.

For those interested Austin Aqua Farms currently has one for sale, pricey but considering the scarcity of this species, not wholly unwarranted.

I saw them post that clam as well. I wonder if someone gave it to them on consignment as I don't recall seeing any available since the ORA batch 2-3 years ago.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Gigas another Tridacna species without scutes on the shell or are they extremely delicate and risk getting cut off easily?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brotha, what are you trying to say here?
So, Deresa hasn’t got the scutes usually and instead is a smooth shell but it appears all the gigas that are in this thread also don’t have the scutes. Is this due to them being extremely delicate or do they just not have scutes?

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, just picked up a 7" gigas from my lfs. I took a gamble on it as I don't think it's fully expanding. Please let me know what you think of it. The mantle doesn't extend much beyond its shell.

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 64

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back