Gigas Grow Out Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter hart24601
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
It will be 1 year this week. Please post your clam pics.

20200712_104944.jpg 20200712_104909.jpg 20200712_105019.jpg
 
Thank you! When we moved it to the new system 3 years ago we guesstimated its weight around 120ish lbs. That is based upon the water displacement volume, us lifting it, and the Waikiki Aquarium's Gigas when they weighed it around the same size as mine.
I’ve had the opportunity to go the Waikiki aquarium multiple times. Massive! Here is a pic from our last trip. That’s my little boy for comparison. Haha.

572E85A6-038C-4A70-9208-C7DE60771E11.jpeg
 
Thank you for the picture! A truly magnificent creature.
My wife and I were planning a trip to Hawaii next year for our 20th. I was looking forward to seeing this beast. Then I read this article about their Gigas clams.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story...he aquarium was,they are very fragile animals.
I know they lost their oldest one a few years back, but now it would seem that the one in my pic is dead too. That’s a shame. In general I would say that everything in Hawaii is mismanaged... that aquarium is pretty neat regardless, all natural sea water and natural lighting. For your 20th go to Kauai and then puddle jump to Waikiki. Waikiki is basically LA with a reef!
 
Hippopus town! You gonna eat em?!

Yep! I raise all these clams for food, it’s why I started this thread, very exciting to see gigas back on the market since they grow so fast don’t have to wait as along to Harvest!
 
Looks like everyone’s is about the same size. I like that blue rim yours has! Pretty
Thanks! It's interesting the growth rate is so similar amongst those posting.
 
Thanks! It's interesting the growth rate is so similar amongst those posting.
I still have one of mine that has had basically zero growth just inches from the fast growing one. For the last 6 months i have been busy and pretty much just doing water changes to keep things going.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new