Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use a heterotrophic bacterial starter product. First time setting up such a "scratch" set up without rock, sand, or water to seed the tank so I thought I would give it a try.

I think this is related to that. It is definitely getting skimmed out as I am getting beige stuff in filter sock and in the skimmer wall slime.

Going to give it a week and then assess.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, time for an update. Almost a week since my last one.

Shortly after my last post we left for a family visit down to SoCal. We just got back yesterday. I did not have a camera on the tank (only one watching the skimmer) so I had no idea if the tank was cleared yet of the "Snowstorm". I was a little freaked out by it since it lasted for about four days so I was very happy when I turned the corner and saw it had gone away!

The tank is still a bit cloudier than it should be and the ORP is still hovering around 200 so it was time to add some more gear to the tank and help clear that up.

Today I dug through my "aquarium gear boxes" and found a "SilentOne" pump I had used prior for my DIY calcium reactor. The plan: Use this pump and construct a manifold to use for various filters and devices to come (carbon, calcium reactor, GFO, etc.). So, off to HD because no matter how much PVC and JG fittings you have, it's never enough. I decided to make the manifold "free-standing" By that I mean I can move it around in the tank if I want to. The "stand" is the pump pipe itself and the "foot" of it has a cap with a small hole drilled into it so that even if I turn off all the valves, the pump can still push some water through. This output will also be used to create flow in the sump as I do plan on The QuietOne will be replaced down the road with our upcoming Neptune Systems COR pump.

I also found a NextReef media reactor I won at a raffle last year at the SWFMAS event. It was a decent size so I decided to use that as a carbon filter. After getting the manifold put together, I filled the reactor with some BRS carbon and connected it via 1/4" tubing to the manifold. I know many of you are thinking "1/4 - that is way too small" - I don't think so, many including Ryan from BRS tell you that slow flow and more contact time is the best way to go.

I also dug up an old Enaly O3 (ozone) generator I had laying around. I wanted to get that ORP up and polish that tank water. I connected that up and inserted it into one of the two input ports on the skimmer muffler. I still have to program it.

I also moved the Red Dragon 230 pump controller about two feet to the right and onto the main backing board behind the sump. This allowed it to reach the area where I had mounted another Energy Bar 4 to control that pump as well as the manifold pump.

Still have a bit of wire clean up to do here and there, but at least the tank is getting closer toward its first real stocking of a few fish and a large clean up crew.

Diatoms and algae are now growing so the cycle has really gone well.

Next update when I organize the mounting board under the tank and mount-up all of that equipment.

IMG_4640.jpg
IMG_4642.jpg
IMG_4643.jpg
IMG_4644.jpg
IMG_4645.jpg
IMG_4646.jpg
sss

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very intrigued about the use of Hot Salt. I have seen fairly widespread use of their additives in Europe and strongly considering using them for my current build. I will be following to see your ultimate thoughts on the salt.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt worked great from a mixing perspective. It mixed up super clean and dissolved quickly. I plan to use it ongoing unless some reason not to arises.

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence nice build.The 100 gallon storage tanks,did those come with bulkheads or did you install them. If you installed them did you have a difficult time getting them in or were they within reach?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence nice build.The 100 gallon storage tanks,did those come with bulkheads or did you install them. If you installed them did you have a difficult time getting them in or were they within reach?

I had to put it in. Only one done so far. Still have to do the other and install the float valve, John Guest bulkhead fittings, etc. It was a crazy reach but I have very long arms for my height so I was able to make it happen.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so a little update. Skimmer is producing like crazy. Tank is clear. Had to actually clean the glass this morning. Took three handfuls of sand from my office nano tank (that is doing awesome and has been established for two years now) and brought it home in a small plastic container. I did not want to just dump it into my home tank because my nano has black sand. So, I did a gold panning move with it, over and over, in the top of the tank. Lots of nice little critters made there way out. Even a few nice sand-tube-worms got down into the sand. Gotta seed the tank!

Yesterday I was able to start the process of mounting up the Apex gear that will reside under the tank stand. Two 1LINK for four WAV (one pair so far installed), ALD, VDM (not yet), EB8 and EB4. The wires still need to be cleaned up but I will leave all that for once I get all the LED power supplies and what not. I really love the new module mounting system. We can't wait to introduce it across the entire line of modules at some point. I found that 5.5" between the mounting holes of two modules to be the perfect spacing.

The tank is really coming along. Cycled for about four weeks or so now. Time for the first wave of fish. Arriving on Friday are a few tangs and a couple of other little guys. Clean up crew and some others arriving next Tuesday. Another update after that happens.

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more work. Way overdue on putting in protection for our nice hardwood floors. I installed the ALD module (Leak Detection) on Wednesday along with three sensors. I put one sensor on the floor at each end of the stand (the weighted, solid-survace variety) and then zip-tied another to bottom edge of the drain pipe. This should alert on any water that leaks from these or from other pipes and then through surface tension will run down to this point before either going down below the floor or dripping off.

Yesterday I brought home three corals from the nano tank. All very low light varieties. Two small Acans and one zoanthid. Before putting them in I inspected them for pests and scraped off at least one vermetid. My nano is pest free, and these have been in there 18 months so I felt pretty good about it. Happy to say that all of them took to the tank well and had happy little polyps both in the light and then at night to feed.

Today I am getting my first fish order. I am a huge fan of Tangs and they are good first fish as they can help keep down an algae blooms... Pics of them will follow in a later post.

Still waiting for my lights so I can really go wild with the corals!
IMG_4661.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG
IMG_4663.JPG
IMG_4666.JPG

Taservices

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled upon this build today and read it from start to present and definitely plan on watching this one closely.

I love watching builds like this to get little tidbits for solving the unique little problems each and every build has.

I am endlessly jealous of how simple it is for you stateside people to get so much of this stuff.
It is an 5 hour drive from my home to get any salt but fluval-sea, and even then the most selection available is 2 or three models of low to mid grade equipment.

What I wouldn't give for more reef options to be readily available up here in canada. Would make my aquarium business much more exciting!

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss it? What lights are you going with? Earlier I thought you said it was a surprise, but then you said something about mounting led drivers. ;) looks like you slipped up. Lol

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I have something up there temporarily right now to just have enough light for it to "live" a little before the actual lights arrive. And, it is still a surprise!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great idea zip tying the detector to the pvc!

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrance,

I'm also setting up a large Reef Savvy tank (96"x36"x24") but it's taking way longer than your build. I have a few questions if you have the time. How many people did it take to lift the tank on the stand? Did you use any suction cups, lifting straps, etc...? I think it took 10 people just to get my tank into my house and on the 2x4's on the floor. The stand wasn't finished when I brought the tank home and it hasn't moved since. I'm really nervous of getting the tank on the stand! I just keep thinking the worst... broken tank or pinched fingers. Also, do you have some type of leveling feet on the bottom of your stand?

Any advice would be great!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took nine of us (8 suction cups) I believe and a few of my "crew" were at least twice as strong as me. We had to bring the tank across about 50 feet of lawn and up five stairs to a six foot by nine foot landing. The stairs were about five feet wide so the side lifters had only about a foot to squeeze through as it went up. As we went through the doorway I thought for a moment we wouldn't make it (there was not enough room for side carriers so people had to peel off, run around through the garage and onto the other side as it came through). We put we tank on the floor and then slid the stand into a position where we would not have to rotate the tank much at all to get it aligned with stand. With the carpet strips under the stand we knew we could then slide it back into position against the wall. The hardest part was yet to come. My stand is 42" high. The tank weighed 950 pounds. We did it. It was exhausting.

If I had it to do over again I would have at least three more guys and four more suction cups.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember what brand/model suction cups? Did you buy or rent them? Did you have any issue with the suction cups on the back of the tank where the black vinyl is?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back